Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:56:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Can Feel It. My Voice is Going, Dave

Started by Blumf, November 12, 2018, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46178930
QuoteActor Douglas Rain, who was the voice of the sinister computer Hal in sci-fi film 2001: A Space Odyssey, has died, the organisers of a theatre festival he founded have said.

Possibly the best voice roll ever.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706937/

mothman

Granted, one for the "he was still alive?" pile but still, very sad. He was perfect in the role.

buzby

Why do none of the articles mention 2010? Rain reprised his most famous role for the film and although it's a more traditonal film than it's predecessor, HAL features prominently in it and is redeemed as a character. Rain's performance in HAL's last conversation with Dr. Chandra is perfectly delivered.

RIP Mr. Rain.

Shaky

While obviously not the superior film, I think I prefer the version of HAL from 2010. Making the character more sympathetic is definitely one of the most successful things about the follow-up and I particularly like his interactions with Bowman near the end.

"I'm scared."

"Don't be."

jobotic

I've always found Hal's "dying" as it appears on this mix quite moving, particularly as Robert Lippok's (Mahler sampling)"Close" kicks in, if anyone is interested.

https://www.mixcloud.com/severence/severence-conductividad/

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on November 13, 2018, 08:50:13 AM
Why do none of the articles mention 2010? Rain reprised his most famous role for the film and although it's a more traditonal film than it's predecessor, HAL features prominently in it and is redeemed as a character. Rain's performance in HAL's last conversation with Dr. Chandra is perfectly delivered.

RIP Mr. Rain.

I stuck this up on vimeo just a few weeks back, by way of some additional exposition for a girl I'd just taken to see the nolan print of '2001', as she'd never seen it before. she pretends to be a yoot, this girl, & makes out she's got no time for the likes of '2001' with its gentle pace, & this irritates me enormously, but I keep chipping away- I have to work with her, but she's no movie buff, not like my mrs.

anyway, yes... this:

https://vimeo.com/293752481

mr rain is easily the best actor in this scene.

Glebe

The singer of Daisy, Daisy, now pushing up daisies.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 14, 2018, 06:32:11 AM
The singer of Daisy, Daisy, now pushing up daisies.

they used one of these on his voice; these machines were developed to correct the pitch of deep-sea divers breathing helium, so that their communications with the surface would be intelligible.

mothman

The sheer lack of correct detailing recreation in the Discovery sets, and basic physics, on 2010 annoys me. They're standing in a zero-g area with no obvious means of staying on the floor. They appear to be wearing Velcro shoes but I think the landing bay was a magnetic sole area.

buzby

Quote from: mothman on November 14, 2018, 07:40:54 AM
The sheer lack of correct detailing recreation in the Discovery sets, and basic physics, on 2010 annoys me. They're standing in a zero-g area with no obvious means of staying on the floor. They appear to be wearing Velcro shoes but I think the landing bay was a magnetic sole area.
If you start going down that rabbit hole with 2010 it makes the film unwatchable - HAL's eye cameras being completely different*, using CRT displays because they couldn't afford to recreate Kubrick's back-projection system to simulate flat screen monitors, the fibreboard control panels with ragged apertures cut in them for the buttons and screens, the space suits on the Discovery being very wrong* and so on. The biggest problem is obviously the sound in the exterior space scenes though.

*A lot of this is due Kubrick telling Hyams all the drawings and props had been destroyed, as he didn't want a sequel being made. After he died loads of stuff was found in his archive and is currently part of a touring museum exhibit.

mothman

Quote from: buzby on November 14, 2018, 08:15:01 AM
... 2010 ... unwatchable ...

Quickly TL;DR'ed that to sum up my feelings. ;-) I don't think I've ever watched it again since that first time in the cinema in 1985. It's not a good film.

Somewhere, however, I have the official promotional "making of" magazine. I imagine if the film had been any good or had become a classic, it'd be worth something now.

Howj Begg

As I wrote on me facebook, HAL in 2001 is the greatest, most affecting character in all of cinema. It's amazing how much we learn - or can deduce -  about him from only a couple of pages of dialogue. He also represents humanity in space better than any human character I can think of: i existentialism, "the human condition", 20c philosophy's biggest themes are incarnated in HAL. It's not difficult to see him as the hero, if you flip your perspective, and Dave/Frank/Floyd as the villians in this horror movie. Rain manages to convey this with such unique pathos, it's almost impossible to see how anyone else could have done the same job.
RIP Douglas Rain

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Howj Begg on November 14, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
As I wrote on me facebook, HAL in 2001 is the greatest, most affecting character in all of cinema. It's amazing how much we learn - or can deduce -  about him from only a couple of pages of dialogue. He also represents humanity in space better than any human character I can think of: i existentialism, "the human condition", 20c philosophy's biggest themes are incarnated in HAL. It's not difficult to see him as the hero, if you flip your perspective, and Dave/Frank/Floyd as the villians in this horror movie. Rain manages to convey this with such unique pathos, it's almost impossible to see how anyone else could have done the same job.
RIP Douglas Rain

Absolutely. I always find his shutting down painful and hugely affecting.