Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Cringe comedy' bollocks

Started by bobloblaw, November 12, 2018, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

Ash Atalla: "Traditional comedy didn't show people being sad, it didn't show those difficult, slow-motion car-crash moments. That all changed with The Office."

That's right Ash, no sad, difficult moments in Perrin, Butterflies, One Foot In The Grave et bloody cetera

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/nov/12/people-just-do-nothing-nathan-for-you-this-country-why-the-cringe-com-reigns

bobloblaw

and has *anyone* ever described Atlanta as a 'cringe comedy' full of 'squirming awkwardness'?

FredNurke

[tag]Buster Gonad pushes wheelbarrow into thread[/tag]

Clownbaby

Just generally never say something was the first to do something cause you'll probably be wrong eh like Rebel Wilson

Jockice

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 12, 2018, 02:05:21 PM
Ash Atalla: "Traditional comedy didn't show people being sad, it didn't show those difficult, slow-motion car-crash moments. That all changed with The Office."

That's right Ash, no sad, difficult moments in Perrin, Butterflies, One Foot In The Grave et bloody cetera

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/nov/12/people-just-do-nothing-nathan-for-you-this-country-why-the-cringe-com-reigns

And after that, with Derek, Ricky Gervais invented comedy that could make you laugh AND cry. A true innovator.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Jockice on November 13, 2018, 11:45:17 AM

And after that, with Derek, Ricky Gervais invented comedy that could make you laugh AND cry. A true innovator.

Didn't he coin the term 'cry-medy'? Quite an achievement if you ignore pathos.

bobloblaw

didn't he insist it was a 'comedy-drama' despite it clearly being commissioned as a half-hour comedy?

Cuellar

God I love Derek. Absolutely astounding piece of work.

Going to do one of my periodic revisits of the threads.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Cuellar on November 13, 2018, 02:18:22 PM
God I love Derek.

There are very few Christmas specials that I've ever been as excited about as I was with the Derek one yet there are very few Christmas specials that I can remember less about than that pile of bilge.

Replies From View

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 13, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
Just generally never say something was the first to do something cause you'll probably be wrong eh like Rebel Wilson

Rebel Wilson was the first character to say "I can't BELIEEEEEEEEVE this!!"

One of the all-time great rebels.

studpuppet

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 12, 2018, 02:05:21 PM

Has he never seen an episode of Fawlty Towers?

New Jack

Quote from: Replies From View on November 13, 2018, 04:05:14 PM
Rebel Wilson was the first character to say "I can't BELIEEEEEEEEVE this!!"

One of the all-time great rebels.

She was born just Melanie.

I like to think the name Melanie also has a rich tradition of rebellion. Just screams 'Insurgency' doesn't it?

For an article that is seemingly supposed to plug new series of People Just Do Nothing and Nathan For You on UK telly, there's barely any mention of those two shows.

Also, if we're talking about mockumentaries that have cringey elements (as opposed to Fawlty Towers etc), Operation Good Guys and People Like Us beat The Office by a couple of years.

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on November 13, 2018, 04:18:07 PM
Also, if we're talking about mockumentaries that have cringey elements (as opposed to Fawlty Towers etc), Operation Good Guys and People Like Us beat The Office by a couple of years.

...and the Belgian very-black, fly-on-the-wall comedy Man Bites Dog was years earlier in 1992 and I suppose the daddy of them all is Spinal Tap.

Silly article.

edit: Hancock was just a scripted exaggerated version of himself too. Full of cringe moments.

Brundle-Fly

Reality TV was an influence, too. "We hadn't seen people behave as themselves on camera before," says Atalla.

I'm sure he's been quoted out of context but reality shows have been around for donkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYNGRqXKkSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CqguwJ2B4g

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Comedy execs and TV commissioners are, by and large, utterly ignorant when it comes to the history of television comedy. Not all of them, obviously, but for the most part they're just anxious, blathering soundbite generators.

I've interviewed loads of 'em, Ash Atalla included, and the only one who ever sounded genuinely enthused about comedy was Shane Allen.

bobloblaw

Jon Plowman too, though he delivers his knowledge with more lugubriousness than Allen's fanboy exuberance.

And Phil Clarke, though he was a producer for yonks before he became a commissioner.

In fact, producers in general are more clued up, which makes Ash's comments all the more dispiriting, however much was taken out of context.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 13, 2018, 08:34:31 PM
Reality TV was an influence, too. "We hadn't seen people behave as themselves on camera before," says Atalla.

I'm sure he's been quoted out of context but reality shows have been around for donkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYNGRqXKkSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CqguwJ2B4g

The Seven Up series is of course the daddy of em all. Back next year. 63 Up!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on November 14, 2018, 10:44:16 AM
The Seven Up series is of course the daddy of em all. Back next year. 63 Up!

I nearly added Seven Up but felt it was more like a collection of interviews rather than seeing much day to day interaction with civillians.

Cuellar

Obligatory: one of my teachers was one of the kids on Seven Up, Bruce Balden. Maths teacher. Rubicund.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 14, 2018, 09:19:02 AM
Jon Plowman too, though he delivers his knowledge with more lugubriousness than Allen's fanboy exuberance.

And Phil Clarke, though he was a producer for yonks before he became a commissioner.

Oh yes, absolutely. Ash, though. I felt thoroughly dispirited by his bland, ill-informed comments when I interviewed him. He just came across as a corporate shill, unlike lugubrious Plowman and exuberant Allen.

And then there was the bloke from Channel 4 who claimed that their current comedy output was "arguably" more impressive than Brass Eye... 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 14, 2018, 09:09:35 AM
Comedy execs and TV commissioners are, by and large, utterly ignorant when it comes to the history of television comedy. Not all of them, obviously, but for the most part they're just anxious, blathering soundbite generators.

I've interviewed loads of 'em, Ash Atalla included, and the only one who ever sounded genuinely enthused about comedy was Shane Allen.

Did you ever meet old SOTCAA béte noir, Jane Root?

bobloblaw

I interviewed her once. She left me to pay for both our lunches.

Jockice

Jockice

Quote from: Cuellar on November 14, 2018, 11:09:40 AM
Obligatory: one of my teachers was one of the kids on Seven Up, Bruce Balden. Maths teacher. Rubicund.

That beats my mate who claims he was once taken for a ride by Tony the taxi driver.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 14, 2018, 11:11:41 AM

I interviewed her once. She left me to pay for both our lunches.

Brundle-Fly

I've heard some real horror stories about commissioning editors. Like the one about the TV exec who comissioned a comedy pilot that she'd sat on for a year. The producers finally got the meeting only to arrive early spotting her through the window of her glass walled office scrabbling around on her knees looking for the pilot tape. They then observed her watching it on fast foward snapping at her assistant "Any sign of them? Still haven't watched this fucking thing yet."

olliebean

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 14, 2018, 11:11:41 AM

I hear bobloblaw interviewed her once. She left him to pay for both their lunches.