Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The second decade of the 21st century: verdict

Started by MoonDust, November 12, 2018, 02:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How were the 2010s?

Shit
Not shit
Like when you feel paint being applied to your bare buttocks and you realise you are on stage in a school fete, shitting through a curtain with a hole in it.  AWKWARD!!

dandoystevski

This sums it up (nicked from some guardian BTL comment):

RONALDO

1 MOST RECORDS OF ALL TIME

2. MOST INDIVIDUAL AWARDS

3. DOMINATES THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (BIGGEST CLUB COMPETITION)
-MOST UCL GOALS: RONALDO
-MOST UCL ASSISTS: RONALDO
-MOST UCL RECORDS: RONALDO
-MOST UCL FINALS: RONALDO
-MORE UCL TROPHIES THAN FLOPESSI

- RONALDO WAS THE UCL TOP SCORER FOR THE LAST 6 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS
- RONALDO WAS THE MAIN MAN IN EVERY UCL REAL MADRID & MAN UTD WON

- FLOPESSI ON THE OTHER HAND, WAS GIFTED 1 UCL IN 2006.
- IN 2014 NEYMAR WAS THE MAIN REASON BARCELONA WON THE UCL

-Since 2009 (RONALDO W/ SPANISH CLUB VS FLOPESSI W/ SPANISH CLUB)
Ronaldo 1.07 UCL goal ratio (105 goals in 101 apps)
Flopessi 0.90 UCL goal ratio (83 goals in 92 apps)
Ronaldo 0.27 UCL assist ratio (28 assists in 101 apps)
Flopessi 0.21 UCL assist ratio (20 assists in 92 apps)

IN THE LAST 5 YEARS, RONALDO PERFORMED 2X BETTER THAN FLOPESSI IN THE UCL

Cristiano Ronaldo (91)

2013/2014: 17 goals, 5 assists
2014/2015: 10 goals, 4 assists
2015/2016: 16 goals, 4 asissts
2016/2017: 12 goals, 6 asissts
2017/2018: 15 goals, 2 assists

Flopessi (52)

2013/2014: 8 goals, 0 asissts
2014/2015: 10 goals, 6 assists
2015/2016: 6 goals, 1 assists
2016/2017: 11 goals, 2 assists
2017/2018: 6 goals, 2 assists

RONALDO IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD

Blue Jam

Quote from: dandoystevski on November 13, 2018, 12:27:22 AM
This sums it up (nicked from some guardian BTL comment):

RONALADO

1 MOST RECORDS OF ALL TIME

2. MOST INDIVIDUAL AWARDS

3. DOMINATES THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (BIGGEST CLUB COMPETITION)
-MOST UCL GOALS: RONALADO
-MOST UCL ASSISTS: RONALADO
-MOST UCL RECORDS: RONALADO
-MOST UCL FINALS: RONALADO
-MORE UCL TROPHIES THAN FLOPESSI

- RONALADO WAS THE UCL TOP SCORER FOR THE LAST 6 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS
- RONALADO WAS THE MAIN MAN IN EVERY UCL REAL MADRID & MAN UTD WON

- FLOPESSI ON THE OTHER HAND, WAS GIFTED 1 UCL IN 2006.
- IN 2014 NEYMAR WAS THE MAIN REASON BARCELONA WON THE UCL

-Since 2009 (RONALADO W/ SPANISH CLUB VS FLOPESSI W/ SPANISH CLUB)
Ronalado 1.07 UCL goal ratio (105 goals in 101 apps)
Flopessi 0.90 UCL goal ratio (83 goals in 92 apps)
Ronalado 0.27 UCL assist ratio (28 assists in 101 apps)
Flopessi 0.21 UCL assist ratio (20 assists in 92 apps)

IN THE LAST 5 YEARS, RONALADO PERFORMED 2X BETTER THAN FLOPESSI IN THE UCL

Cristiano Ronalado (91)

2013/2014: 17 goals, 5 assists
2014/2015: 10 goals, 4 assists
2015/2016: 16 goals, 4 asissts
2016/2017: 12 goals, 6 asissts
2017/2018: 15 goals, 2 assists

Flopessi (52)

2013/2014: 8 goals, 0 asissts
2014/2015: 10 goals, 6 assists
2015/2016: 6 goals, 1 assists
2016/2017: 11 goals, 2 assists
2017/2018: 6 goals, 2 assists

RONALADO ALWAYS SCORE FIRST

FTFY

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2018, 11:14:39 PM
Back to the whole geek thing: Right now Stan Lee's death is the top story on the BBC News site. I can't imagine that would have been the case had he died ten years ago.

Well hollywood hadn't been flogging the superhero horse for a decade a decade ago? Not sure he counts as even pretend 'geek' when his films are in every retail park cinema week in week out.

Blue Jam

That's what I meant, yes- that's how mainstream superhero stuff has become. Ten years ago I imagine he still would have got a mention, but maybe about four or five stories below the top story.

pancreas

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 12, 2018, 09:41:11 PM
2010 - The year of the worm. I lived in the earth then, waiting. We all did. Actually, perhaps it was just me. With my ganglia I swore I sensed others, but it was probably a nitrogen hallucination. I emerged at the arse end of the year, sodden and behind on the fixtures.

2011 - This one was a cracker. I worked as the laundry clerk for an eccentric scion. Each day I would receive sheets and do whatever it took to restore them to a state conducive to bed coddling. Sometimes he'd watch me do it through a grate, other times I would go to his suite for advice and find him wrapped in the previous week's sheets so totally that I'd have to hire mercenaries to chase him out. No one day was like another, the only constant was the semi-explained whiff of lemomgrass.

2012 - sex butler called Mr Bell.

2013 - lost all my legs in a mishap. Bit of a downer. Did my butlering on the trays, just slid about to be honest. Got new legs eventually, leading neatly to....

2014 - leg racer for Ducati.

2015 - Skipped this year, not even as a worm, just sacked it off. Lived on mites, sure, but I was just a person.

2016 - This was the year Aldi came to Britain. 'Aldi doin'?' it said, and we replied that we were well but would like fairly cheap goods to be sold by them to us. David Cameron won the Olympics.

2017 - Pm me for this one. Shhh

2018 - this is the year we find ourselves in. Hello!

i agree 11.5/10.

Paul Calf

MoonDust

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2018, 11:09:16 PM
I have often wondered if Cameron was actually worse than Thatcher. Maybe it's because I was too young, but I don't remember Thatcher doing nearly as much to dismantle the NHS and welfare state, I don't remember seeing so many homeless people, I don't remember food banks existing at all, and I don't remember people quite literally starving to death as a result of Thatcher's policies. My family struggled but I'm not sure we would even have survived under Cameron.

True, the reasons of hatred are different, and she was horrible in her own way.

She is mostly hated for being massively anti-union and anti-working class, woe betide that the toiling masses dare stand up for their own interests.

As for starving, her tactic during the miners' strike was to effectively starve the miners back into work. She even introduced legislation which allowed the government to legally raid and withdraw money from the union's bank account, so strike funds to workers on strike effectively ceased. If you have ever watched the film Pride, that scene where the union branch votes against accepting money from LGSM is portrayed as if it's because they don't want to accept help from gays and lesbians. This was purely fiction. The real reason was because they simply couldn't accept their money because Thatcher's government would have stolen it as soon as it entered their accounts.

Whereas Cameron would have loved to see the poor with no social safety sets if he had it completely his own way, Thatcher would have loved to see the outright ban of trade unions and the right to organise at work, preferring instead for "market forces" to correct pesky problems such as workers' rights etc.

buttgammon

I see Cameron as finishing off what Thatcher started. So while she dismantled the main sources of solidarity and thrived off the divided society she had created, Cameron started destroying the last remaining institutions that provide help to those in need. It's all a part of the same process of turning Britain into some hideous 19th century theme park for the rich.

this decade is shit but at least we got Twin Peaks

you think this decade is bad, the next one will most likely be considerably worse

MoonDust

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 13, 2018, 10:18:59 AM
you think this decade is bad, the next one will most likely be considerably worse

Well that's partly what I was wondering in the OP: do we reckon in the future we'll look back on this decade in a more favourable light? I suppose that would depend what the future is like.

And if we do look back to now in favourable light, what would we say is good?

"Oh yeah, Trump was shit, but at least Americans could still vote!"

"Oh yeah, Brexit was a disaster, but at least we had the freedom to say so!"

"Oh yeah, the constant stifling heatwaves every summer got a bit annoying, but at least they didn't set your hair on fire!"

Etc., etc.

i think we'll look back with vague fondness on the pre-2016 period where not every piece of news was a hard kick to the guts. seeing as a worrying proportion of Europe looks primed to totally embrace fascism, we'll probably look back and say that this decade was when we could no longer collectively pretend that everything would work itself out

i'm seeing a real loss of innocence across the board in this decade, lots of people who never gave the wider state of the world a second thought are now openly really worried

MoonDust

I also fear it's the decade where we look back with regret that we could have done more. I'm certainly guilty of actually not doing anything to fight fascism. I mean living in a foreign country I guess is different as I don't have my ear to the ground as much as in the UK, but still.

On that note there's a massive anti fascist demo in London this weekend I believe.

yep, 2008 was the flashpoint, 2016 was when most people belatedly realised just how fucked we were, and now we're in a situation where i honestly can't tell you what the world will be like 10 years from now

Cloud

Tricky one.  Started out great from my perspective, because horsies!  (I know this is absurd to outsiders).  2010 is when the new MLP started and 2011 when I got into it and made (and met IRL) several great friends from it all since. 
It also seemed in the early 2010s there was just lots of positivity in general out there, steady progress on social justice-y type stuff etc.  Things were looking pretty good.  Alright in the UK we had some political bollocks, but the coalition sounded nice initially, a bit of co-operation instead of division.

Then 2014 came, Gamergate happened and everything went to shit.

2016 the year of death and destruction, half the world's celebrities died off, my grandma died and for a while peace with the rest of the family went down with her, politics went off the cliff etc etc, awful year. 

It's been pretty shit since really.  MLP:FiM ends next year, too, unless leaked plans have changed.  There's the onslaught of bad news from the UN regarding the impending self inflicted apocalypse that today's kids may have to face unless we completely and globally change our entire lifestyles to be dramatically simpler within the next 12 years (spoiler alert, we won't). But hey, still a couple of years left of this decade, so things might still balance out, something nice might happen?  Bit early to give a final verdict yet.

MoonDust

Correction. There's one year (and a month and a half) left of this decade, not a couple of years.

Your optimism is null and void.

VERDICT!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MoonDust on November 13, 2018, 10:24:27 AM
Well that's partly what I was wondering in the OP: do we reckon in the future we'll look back on this decade in a more favourable light? I suppose that would depend what the future is like.

And if we do look back to now in favourable light, what would we say is good?

"Oh yeah, Trump was shit, but at least Americans could still vote!"

"Oh yeah, Brexit was a disaster, but at least we had the freedom to say so!"

"Oh yeah, the constant stifling heatwaves every summer got a bit annoying, but at least they didn't set your hair on fire!"

Etc., etc.

"Oh yeah, Trump was shit, but at least they didn't have Cyber Zombie Reborn Celebrity Hitler as President...ahhhhh!"

Hundhoon

if you told me in 2011 that birther leader Trump would be president in 5 years  in 2011 I would have thought you were smoking crack.

I thought the 2010s started off really positively,  thought the early 2010s especially were way better music wise than the 00's.
early in the decade there was the Arab Spring, Obamas optimism, Medvedev taking Russia on a new course.
then the arab spring failed and authoritarian dictators and ISIS regained control of the middle east,  Putin invaded Ukraine, Brexit happened and Trump won the election....oh dear.

i think the post cold war 1989 world structure,  is dead on its arse. its not coming back, which is why i find people like Macron so lame...

I think 2010/11 was when things first started to feel hopeless. In the early days of the coalition government there seemed to be a fresh ideological attack on the poor/public resources we'd previously taken for granted every few days. Plus the aforementioned normalisation of food banks as an essential component of a 'big society' and the rise of 'disabled hate crime' (a phrase which still causes me disbelief) after a wave of anti-benefit claimant propaganda.

I think that was the period it finally sunk in this recession we'd had since 2008 wasn't of the variety we'd had in the past (a couple of years of belt tightening, then back to normal with a few civil liberties affected) but a long term depression.