Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another help me with a laptop yawn thread

Started by im barry bethel, November 12, 2018, 06:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

im barry bethel

Regular readers of the Technology forum (all 8 of you) will know I'm an old dinosaur where puters are concerned, so with that in mind once again is this a decent laptop for the price?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0596sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184693-pdt.html

There's another one that's a bit cheaper but looks more or less the same only it's an i3 not an i5 processor, is that much of a difference? The last one I had to buy was an HP with an AMD A6, where does that stand in comparison with the Intel ones?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0594sa-15-6-intel-core-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184692-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Edit: see I'm that dumb I can't even get the simplest things right, it wasn't an A6 it's an A8, how comparable is Intel with an AMD A8?

canadagoose

What are you hoping to use the laptop for? If it's just basic browsing, playing music and a bit of YouTube or Netflix at 720p, either will probably do. I know the latter would feel a bit under-powered to me, what with only having 4GB of RAM, no SSD and an OK-ish processor, but it'd probably still do for basic things.

The first one has a bit of a better processor, but still 4GB of RAM and it seems to have "Intel Optane", which I'm guessing makes the hard drive function a bit like a hybrid drive (caching the most commonly-accessed data on solid-state storage whereas the rest is just on the platter)? It'd seem a bit faster, but it'd still be nicer to have extra RAM IMO, especially if you like having several tabs open at once.

im barry bethel

It's for a teenager to do their GCSEs with (in-between pissing around and talking to strangers who are really 50yr old blokes)

DrGreggles

I work with a lot of HP kit and am a certified HP engineer!

*takes a bow*

Thank you very much.

Anyway, my professional opinion would be to generally avoid HP products.