Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stan Lee dead

Started by madhair60, November 12, 2018, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

MuteBanana

His best one was in The Simpsons.

"Hmmhhhmhhhh!! I did it once."

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Didn't he film a load of cameos for use in future films or was that quite a while ago and he actually lived to see them all?

bgmnts

Steve Ditko died earlier this year. Stan Lee taking credit for his idea yet again.

Shit Good Nose

Oh come on, they'll just cgi him.

biggytitbo

They'll undoubtedly bring him back after a few months, with a new writer.

Dannyhood91

Nowhere Man

It feels pretty odd to learn about Steve Ditkos death through a thread on Stan Lee's death. Makes it seem almost like they died at the exact same time.

Urinal Cake

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They say he had some type of disease from thinking about costumes too much.

Phil_A

Hmm, mixed feelings about this. He was a canny editor who revitalised a moribund medium, but also an extremely limited writer that took a lot of credit where it wasn't due.

Still, twinge of sadness. Stan, Steve and Jack now all gone, an era has passed.

If this means no more Newspaper Spidey it will be a fucking tragedy.

[tag]'Nuff Dead[/tag]

Gulftastic

Quote from: Phil_A on November 12, 2018, 07:28:15 PM
Hmm, mixed feelings about this. He was a canny editor who revitalised a moribund medium, but also an extremely limited writer that took a lot of credit where it wasn't due.

[tag]'Nuff Dead[/tag]

That's how I see it too. I've seen him talking about how he invented the Marvel characters since the films hit big, but I've never heard him give due credit to Jack and Steve.

Stan Lee was a great Tool for Comics transitioning into other mediums, Cartoons and Film and his use of letters pages helped him come over as a everybodys Comic Granddad.

Alberon

Now he's an ex-man.

Sorry.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 12, 2018, 06:51:37 PM
No more cameos

An article from sep 2017 said he'd filmed cameos for the 'next couple of years'.

Norton Canes

Large Noise

Time to retire all superhero characters and never make another film about them, out of respect to this great man.

Small Man Big Horse

I had a threesome with Stan Lee once.

Sexiest day of my life that was.

Mrs SMBH thought I'd be upset by the news but 95 is a great age to get too, it's a shame the last year has been a messy one but overall it seems like he had a pretty decent life, so I can't say I'm shedding tears. Then again after 2016 I think I'm mostly immune to celebrity deaths now, only David Lynch and Bernard Cribbins will currently upset me.

Dannyhood91

Someone on my Facebook just said he's gone too soon and I don't think they were being ironic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 12, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
I had a threesome with Stan Lee once.

Sexiest day of my life that was.

Which one is you?

The one in the middle, clearly. He's hardly going to be "Paul Ross in glasses" or "Tim Key shaves his beard off", is he?

Small Man Big Horse

The one in the middle.

Edit: Gah, beaten to it.

Edit: Also, Paul fucking Ross? I've never been so insulted in my entire life. And when I was 16 someone compared me to the then 40 year old Robbie Coltrane.

Chollis

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 12, 2018, 06:58:59 PM
Oh come on, they'll just cgi him.

Would prefer a Weekend at Bernie's scenario myself

bgmnts

I was going to say Stephen King myself.

biggytitbo

We can only imagine the incredible amount of semen he produced in his long 95 year life. Enough to fill an olympic sized swimming pool I reckon - and isnt that his true legacy?

MoonDust

I thought he just drew pictures of mice.

Nowhere Man

I don't think I ever realised just how much of a role Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby had in creating Spiderman

QuoteAfter Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Stan Lee obtained permission from publisher Martin Goodman to create a new "ordinary teen" superhero named "Spider-Man",[19] Lee originally approached his leading artist, Jack Kirby. Kirby told Lee about his own 1950s character conception, variously called the Silver Spider and Spiderman, in which an orphaned boy finds a magic ring that gives him super powers. Comics historian Greg Theakston says Lee and Kirby "immediately sat down for a story conference" and Lee afterward directed Kirby to flesh out the character and draw some pages. "A day or two later", Kirby showed Lee the first six pages, and, as Lee recalled, "I hated the way he was doing it. Not that he did it badly — it just wasn't the character I wanted; it was too heroic".[20]

Lee turned to Ditko, who developed a visual motif Lee found satisfactory,[21] although Lee would later replace Ditko's original cover with one penciled by Kirby. Ditko said, "The Spider-Man pages Stan showed me were nothing like the (eventually) published character. In fact, the only drawings of Spider-Man were on the splash [i.e., page 1] and at the end [where] Kirby had the guy leaping at you with a web gun... Anyway, the first five pages took place in the home, and the kid finds a ring and turns into Spider-Man."[22]

Ditko also recalled that, "One of the first things I did was to work up a costume. A vital, visual part of the character. I had to know how he looked ... before I did any breakdowns. For example: A clinging power so he wouldn't have hard shoes or boots, a hidden wrist-shooter versus a web gun and holster, etc. ... I wasn't sure Stan would like the idea of covering the character's face but I did it because it hid an obviously boyish face. It would also add mystery to the character...."[23]

Much earlier, in a rare contemporaneous account, Ditko described his and Lee's contributions in a mail interview with Gary Martin published in Comic Fan #2 (Summer 1965): "Stan Lee thought the name up. I did costume, web gimmick on wrist & spider signal". He added he would continue drawing Spider-Man "f nothing better comes along."[24] That same year, he expressed to the fanzine Voice of Comicdom, regarding a poll of "Best Liked" fan-created comics, "It seems a shame, since comics themselves have so little variety of stories and styles that you would deliberately restrict your own creative efforts to professional comics['] shallow range. What is 'Best Liked' by most readers is what they are most familiar in seeing and any policy based on readers likes has to end up with a lot of look-a-like (sic) strips. You have a great opportunity to show everyone a whole new range of ideas, unlimited types of stories and styles—why FLUB it!"[25]

From 1958 to either 1966,[26] or 1968[27] (accounts differ), Ditko shared a Manhattan studio at 43rd Street and Eighth Avenue with noted fetish artist Eric Stanton, an art-school classmate. When either artist was under deadline pressure, it was not uncommon for them to pitch in and help the other with his assignment.[26][28] Ditko biographer Blake Bell, without citing sources, said, "At one time in history, Ditko denied ever touching Stanton's work, even though Stanton himself said they would each dabble in each other's art; mainly spot-inking",[26] and the introduction to one book of Stanton's work says, "Eric Stanton drew his pictures in India ink, and they were then hand-coloured by Ditko".[29] In a 1988 interview with Theakston, Stanton recalled that although his contribution to Spider-Man was "almost nil", he and Ditko had "worked on storyboards together and I added a few ideas. But the whole thing was created by Steve on his own... I think I added the business about the webs coming out of his hands".[27]

Spider-Man debuted in Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962), the final issue of that science-fiction/fantasy anthology series. When the issue proved to be a top seller, Spider-Man was given his own series, The Amazing Spider-Man.[30][31] Lee and Ditko's collaboration on the series saw the creation of many of the character's best known antagonists including Doctor Octopus in issue #3 (July 1963);[32] the Sandman in #4 (Sept. 1963);[33] the Lizard in #6 (Nov. 1963);[34] Electro in #9 (March 1964);[35] and the Green Goblin in #14 (July 1964).[36] Ditko eventually demanded credit for the plotting he was contributing under the Marvel Method. Lee concurred, and starting with #25 (June 1965), Ditko received plot credit for the stories.[37]

bgmnts

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 12, 2018, 08:43:33 PM
I don't think I ever realised just how much of a role Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby had in creating Spiderman

They had quite a large role, i.e creating him.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on November 12, 2018, 08:26:21 PM
I was going to say Stephen King myself.

And now we are at war.

Nowhere Man

So from what it seems, Jack Kirby came up with the name, and Ditko came up with the character's design and important templates for the series i.e Spider sense, web shooting out of wrist ect. and Stan Lee's co-creator role was largely dialogue related, and organising the likes of Ditko to construct a comic based around the titular character.

From what i'm reading it also seems to be the case with the Fantastic Four origin's, with Jack Kirby doing most of the heavy lifting.
Stan got paid a salary as editor-in-chief AND also got paid for writing credits, whereas Jack only got paid for the art and nothing for the writing.

However, he did seemingly compliment Lee and Kirby's talents throughout his life, which is more than Bob Kane ever did for Bill Finger (aka the co-creator of Batman who Kane never even acknowledged until after his death.

QuoteOrigins of Batman:
Early the following year, National Comics' success with the seminal superhero Superman in Action Comics prompted editors to scramble for similar heroes.[12] In response, Kane conceived "the Bat-Man". Finger recalled Kane:

...had an idea for a character called 'Batman', and he'd like me to see the drawings. I went over to Kane's, and he had drawn a character who looked very much like Superman with kind of ... reddish tights, I believe, with boots ... no gloves, no gauntlets ... with a small domino mask, swinging on a rope. He had two stiff wings that were sticking out, looking like bat wings. And under it was a big sign ... BATMAN.[11]

Finger offered such suggestions as giving the character a cowl instead of the domino mask, a cape instead of wings, adding gloves, and removing the red sections from the original costume.[9][13] He later said his suggestions were influenced by Lee Falk's popular The Phantom, a syndicated newspaper comic strip character with which Kane was also familiar,[14] and that he devised the name Bruce Wayne for the character's secret identity. As Finger described, "Bruce Wayne's first name came from Robert Bruce, the Scottish patriot. Wayne, being a playboy, was a man of gentry. I searched for a name that would suggest colonialism. I tried Adams, Hancock ... then I thought of Mad Anthony Wayne."[15] Kane decades later in his autobiography described Finger as "a contributing force on Batman right from the beginning... I made Batman a superhero-vigilante when I first created him. Bill turned him into a scientific detective."[16] Finger biographer Marc Tyler Nobleman described, "Bob [Kane] showed Bat-Man to [editor] Vin [Sullivan] — without Bill. Vin promptly wanted to run Bat-Man, and Bob negotiated a deal — without including Bill."[17]

Finger wrote both the initial script for Batman's debut in Detective Comics #27 (May 1939)[18] and the character's second appearance, while Kane provided art.[9][19] Batman proved a breakout hit, and Finger went on to write many of the early Batman stories, including making major contributions to the Joker character.

QuoteArtist Bob Kane negotiated a contract with National Comics, the future DC Comics, that signed away ownership of the character in exchange for, among other compensations, a sole mandatory byline on all Batman comics (and adaptations thereof). Finger's name, in contrast, until 2015 did not appear as an official credit on Batman stories or films. Finger began receiving limited acknowledgment for his writing work in the 1960s; the letters page of Batman #169 (Feb. 1965), for example, features editor Julius Schwartz naming Finger as creator of the Riddler.

In 1989, Kane acknowledged Finger as "a contributing force" in the character's creation, and wrote, "Now that my long-time friend and collaborator is gone, I must admit that Bill never received the fame and recognition he deserved. He was an unsung hero ... I often tell my wife, if I could go back fifteen years, before he died, I would like to say. 'I'll put your name on it now. You deserve it.'

Now that guy sounds like a real piece of shit.