Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rodigan docu this Friday on BBC4

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 12, 2018, 07:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0brzpsb

Can't find much on it yet, but sounds interesting.

I'm am delighted to announce a documentary film entilted 'David Rodigan Reggae Fever' which will be broadcast this Friday 10pm on BBC Four 📺. I am proud of the story it tells... which is very much about Britain's love affair with Jamaican music as well as my journey as a DJ and broadcaster; after four decades championing the artists and genres I'm very touched that the BBC have seen fit to make this film. Big thank you to all those involved behind the scenes and to all the artists and personalities who contributed and feature in this programme.

SpiderChrist

steveh

Could have done with about 50% less famous people saying how wonderful he is and more on his actual story, which from a skim of his biography when it came out seemed to have more than enough to cover. That's a criticism that applies to most music documentaries though.

Similar to Westwood, I remember a lot of the complaints about his show back in the Capital days were about his neglect of local UK artists due to his fanaticism for Jamaican releases rather than any big issue with him being white. There were people in the Afro-Caribbean community who felt that their local tastes were being neglected and at that time the lack of radio stations amplified the problem. Rodigan's more than proved himself on his knowledge and support for reggae in the last forty years but pioneering black British presenters like Steve Barnard and Tony Williams also really ought to be getting props too.

Jockice

Not really a reggae fan and although I'd vaguely heard of Rodigan didn't know much about him. But I was at a loose end last night so watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I ended up watching the entire 90 minutes of Reggae At The BBC show that followed. Which may be why I have had that Shabba Ranks one that rips off Seasons In The Sun in my head all morning. Thanks David.