Author Topic: What new(ish) fiction are you reading?  (Read 12340 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: What new(ish) fiction are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »
Guy at work lent me a couple of scifi books (the other's Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice), I lent him Neal Stevenson's Snow Crash and The Diamond Age in return.

I only started it today and am a couple of chapters in. Not really got going yet but it's easy to read and quite sardonic.

Just finished this, enjoyed it, although big space battles isn't the usual form of Scifi I really like, I'll seek out the rest of these. It says it owes a lot to Heinlein, I've only read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which I enjoyed but I think a lot of his stuff might be a bit too right-wing for me.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »
On Ancillary Justice now. The prose is far less charming and as such harder to engage with. Story seems alright so far.

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 08:31:37 PM »
Finally got round to reading Normal People - the thing I really like about it , the thing that made it linger in my head for a while after I'd read it is... I really don't like Marianne. It's clever the way it sets up your expectations, that you're supposed to be rooting for her on some level, and it's only about a week after you've finished it that you thing, God, she really is a pain in the neck, isn't she?

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
I’m in four bookclubs now and I’ve had a little run of dross:

Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (2019)
Pretending by Holly Bourne (2020)
Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams (2019)

All rubbish.  Regardless of content they all have this really flimsy flat writing style, “and then what happened was..” no pretty turn of phrase, no attempt to craft the language, no vivid passages at all.  I’m hoping it’s just a run of bad luck but considering the gushing reviews some of these books get you’d be forgiven for despairing at the state of modern popular fiction. 

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2020, 10:07:05 AM »
Not sure if it’s new enough but What Was Lost by Catherine O’Flynn (2008) has cheered me up enormously.  It’s warm, well crafted, no fluff or padding, I’d recommend it.  It’s so refreshing to read something modern that has proper humour (for example, a parent at an exclusive school loudly kicks up a fuss about his surname being spelt wrong “it’s O’Nions not ONIONS!”).  Best of all it features a really engaging and funny child character, I’m struggling to think of any writer who has portrayed a child even half as well. 

Tags: