Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadpool Pikachu

Started by up_the_hampipe, November 13, 2018, 12:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Sorry, I mean, Detective Pikachu. We all remember that famously wisecracking character from the cartoon, now that essence has been captured perfectly by Hollywood's funniest handsomest bastard Ryan Reynolds. Watch him lean into his brand in this hilarious trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

This will be shit a blockbuster, I reckon!

Chollis

Kelvin

It's based on a 3ds game where the charachter of Pikachu talks, so it is actually faithful to the source material. In fact, as someone who admittedly hasn't played the games, but knows a bit about them via my love of Nintendo, I honestly think this looks like the most faithful, and arguably best, computer game film ever made. At least for it's target audience - which will include people into their 20's, who grew up on the games.

The pokemon look miles better than most shit CGI charachters in live action kid's films (Garfield, Smurfs, Chipmunks, etc), and it looks well directed and visually arresting. Nice blend of realism, and neon/shadowy Noir.

Probably going to be the highest earning videogame movie of all time. It's cute enough to appeal to families who haven't played the games, based off that trailer. Pokemon is fucking massive all over the world, so it might even end up being one of the all time biggest earners. Just look at the success of Pokemon Go.

madhair60

I think this looks great fun. Weird as fuck, like the Bob Hoskins Mario Bros movie.

Cloud

I'm a strange combination of creeped out (uncanny valley?) by it, and interested.  Will watch.

shh

Ted Pikachu might be closer to the mark.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on November 13, 2018, 02:08:48 PM
I think this looks great fun. Weird as fuck, like the Bob Hoskins Mario Bros movie.

Yeah, I have no idea how the living fuck this came to be but I'm oddly intrigued. I do wonder if the incongruity will have worn off by the time it's actually released though, and we'll just end up with an okayish kids' thing that, had it been about non-licensed monsters, would have been largely unremarkable.

PlanktonSideburns

No Danny devito on voice? Am oot

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on November 13, 2018, 05:25:22 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how the living fuck this came to be but I'm oddly intrigued. I do wonder if the incongruity will have worn off by the time it's actually released though, and we'll just end up with an okayish kids' thing that, had it been about non-licensed monsters, would have been largely unremarkable.

I think for a kid's film it looks quite good. It's not incredibly arch and knowing for a start, and it's core idea - a world shared with cute monsters - seems to be fairly well imagined. Plus, the quality of the direction and CGI tends to suggest they aren't just rushing out any old shit for a quick buck - which is ironic, considering that's exactly what it looks like the Pokemon Company did with the upcoming Switch game.

I don't know. I have no real connection to the Pokemon games, but the film immediately looks like it has a certain air of quality lacking from every video game film, and even quite a lot of kid's films in general. 

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Kelvin on November 13, 2018, 06:23:31 PM
I don't know. I have no real connection to the Pokemon games, but the film immediately looks like it has a certain air of quality lacking from every video game film, and even quite a lot of kid's films in general.

I don't think there's anything that really stands out about it. Other than the oddness of Ryan Reynolds as a sassy Pikachu. It doesn't look funny or especially creative beyond what's typical of the genre these days. But as long as the parents can take their kids and not be totally annoyed or bored by it, then fair enough.

Kelvin

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 13, 2018, 06:45:24 PM
I don't think there's anything that really stands out about it. Other than the oddness of Ryan Reynolds as a sassy Pikachu. It doesn't look funny or especially creative beyond what's typical of the genre these days. But as long as the parents can take their kids and not be totally annoyed or bored by it, then fair enough.

I'm probably not the person to judge, as I don't have kids, and haven't watched a whole kid's film in years. I just think the creatures themselves look more endearing and less obnoxious than CGI characters in most kid's films I've seen trailers/clips of. That in itself sets it apart from most modern films about snarky antropomophic animals. I imagine if you were someone aged 5 to 25 who was raised on Pokemon games/TV shows/mobile games, this vision would be your absolute best case scenario.

But then again, I'm an outsider making assumptions. I could be wildly, wildly wrong.

I'm not, though. :)   The film is going to be a fucking mega hit. 

Thursday

I remember hearing about this a while ago, but I thought it was going to be a game?

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on November 13, 2018, 07:05:25 PM
I remember hearing about this a while ago, but I thought it was going to be a game?

It was a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf0d5UzYgY

Phil_A

So it's Roger Rabbit with pokemans? I can buy that.

mothman

More like Happytime Murders only with humour and not inherently sucking in every possible way.

Kelvin

Kelvin

If nothing else, I really like the visuals. They've really nailed the Pokemon designs for the most part, and there's a nice contrast between the environments and the colourful creatures that really makes them pop.   

PlanktonSideburns

Yea looks fun. Picachu is very cute

If I was child I would watch this

madhair60

I was inordinately entertained by that trailer.

mothman

Me too. What's happening to us? We need Eddie to come along and burst our bubbles.

Kelvin

A furry Pikachu can melt even our stoniest of hearts.

ToneLa

Looks fucking brilliant

Cyberpunk style city rivalling Blade Runner 2049

Pikachu is fucking gorgeous and I like the conceit of him being an adorable pika pika spouting rat to most people but heard properly to the kid and us.

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Massive

Twed

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 13, 2018, 12:59:47 PMWe all remember that famously wisecracking character from the cartoon
There are many Pikachus, it's a species.

This looks great fun.

Dex Sawash

Looks to be as good as Sausage Party

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on February 27, 2019, 01:13:41 AM
There are many Pikachus, it's a species.

This looks great fun.

From the man who brought you Brass Eye

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on February 26, 2019, 11:40:45 PM
Me too. What's happening to us? We need Eddie to come along and burst our bubbles.

What on Earth makes you think that I would ever post within a Pikachu movie thread, much less read one?

...ah, damn it!

Clownbaby

I've really tried to like Ryan Reynolds but I just can't. I don't see it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 28, 2019, 11:12:32 AM
I've really tried to like Ryan Reynolds but I just can't. I don't see it.

Check out The Voices.

ToneLa

A guy, Pikachu, a girl, and a pizza place

Glebe

It's quite dark for a Pikachu film, innit?