Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadpool Pikachu

Started by up_the_hampipe, November 13, 2018, 12:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Pokemon is about indentured servants fighting each other for their masters' pleasure. That's pretty dark

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on February 28, 2019, 12:59:49 PM
It's quite dark for a Pikachu film, innit?

I think they just realise that there are a whole generation of kids who got into Pokemon when it first blew up, and are now in their twenties. They're just trying to pitch it at multiple generations of Pokemon fans. 

Bazooka

Pokemen could also kill a human in mere seconds, they just prefer to massacre each other.

It won't be better than Pokemon: The First Movie which is brilliant if you ask me.

ToneLa

I like the concept but why Pikachu? Frankly, if it's not Wormadam it's not worth seeing

Glebe

Quote from: Kelvin on February 28, 2019, 06:08:26 PMI think they just realise that there are a whole generation of kids who got into Pokemon when it first blew up, and are now in their twenties. They're just trying to pitch it at multiple generations of Pokemon fans.

I much prefer the old 1960s TV series Pikachu - I know it was a bit camp, but I used to love when 'POW!' and 'WHACK!' would come up on the screen when they had a fight!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ToneLa on March 01, 2019, 10:57:45 AM
I like the concept but why Pikachu? Frankly Meawtwo, I don't give a Wormadam

VelourSpirit

I'm guessing Pikachu is the guy's dad so I hope they just work it all out straight away like I did then turn him back into a normal Pikachu and not have Deadpool doing the voice

SavageHedgehog

Why doesn't Pikachu dance any more? Remember The Pitusi?

Bazooka

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on March 02, 2019, 01:53:05 PM
Why doesn't Pikachu dance any more? Remember The Pitusi?

He can also surf.

beanheadmcginty

Just saw it. Impressed that almost the whole film appeared to have been shot on one overcast day, all within 500 yards of Liverpool Street Station. It was alright. There was a good Home Alone reference near the beginning.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bazooka on March 01, 2019, 10:48:53 AM
It won't be better than Pokemon: The First Movie which is brilliant if you ask me.

I watched that with my stepson for what must have been the first time since seeing it in the cinema when I was about his age.  It's throwing around some remarkably philosophical ideas for a film you'd imagine was just a cynical cash-grab: anti-war sentiments, the ethics and nature of cloning/GMOs etc.  Arch as you like, but still.

Now, if Detective Pikachu can solve Israel/Palestine or North Korea or something, then we might be onto something.

Gerald Fjord

as far as i can remember, pokemon 1 ends with a massive pokemon fight that's so bloody and horrendous that our protagonists and pokemon friends are like "wow, fighting is hell" but then they have their memories wiped or go back in time or something so they unlearn the lesson and carry on making pokemon fight

mothman

Is Team Rocket in this?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on May 14, 2019, 03:28:44 PM
as far as i can remember, pokemon 1 ends with a massive pokemon fight that's so bloody and horrendous that our protagonists and pokemon friends are like "wow, fighting is hell" but then they have their memories wiped or go back in time or something so they unlearn the lesson and carry on making pokemon fight

Yeah, it's definitely a bit confused tonally.  It's like they got a draft of the script and then realized it effectively undid the entire premise of the franchise, so then added a weird ending to undo it all, but missing the opportunity for any sort of poignancy there.  Which is fair enough, I suppose, if you don't want to leave your entire fanbase feeling guilty for continuing to indulge.

poo

Saw this today with my children. Didn't have a cunting clue what was going on. There were groups of grown men and grown men on their own watching it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: poo on May 19, 2019, 05:57:44 PM
There were groups of grown men and grown men on their own watching it.

That's a lot of grown men.

imitationleather

Quote from: poo on May 19, 2019, 05:57:44 PM
Saw this today with my children. Didn't have a cunting clue what was going on. There were groups of grown men and grown men on their own watching it.

Please express this in a Venn diagram.

PlanktonSideburns

Noodle Lizard

Saw this today with the kid.  It's an incomprehensible mess — too adult for kids to really get into, lots of boring "talking" bits (also seemed to be a weird joke about Pikachu getting fingered by humans?) and some plot about corporate conspiracies and sabotage.  At the same time, it's far too nonsensical for fully-developed adults.  Our kid shrugged and sort of said "I thought Mewtwo was good" and that's about it.  This is a kid who's obsessed with the TV show and cards and Pokémon Go etc. 

I haven't played the game, but what struck me the most is (as a childhood fan of everything Pokémon) how little it emulates what's attractive about the series in the first place.  The very framework of it practically forbids any catching, training or even fighting of Pokémon for the most part.  Instead we've got this wise-cracking Pikachu narrating or "REACTING TO"  every single thing that happens, in a way which pretty much ruins any memory you might have of Ash's one.  Don't even get me started on the "twist" ending or the immeasurable plot holes, I gave up even caring by 15 minutes in.

The Pokémon all looked shite as well.

A+

poo

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 19, 2019, 09:08:52 PM
That's a lot of grown men.

Basically it was shit and full of paedophiles.

madhair60

jobotic

I didn't see one Defective Paedo Shoe. I want my money back.

lazyhour

Saw it at the cinema with one adult and 3 kids. Other adult found it a bizarre viewing experience but the kids and I all enjoyed it. I was grinning most of the way through, except at the slightly misjudged sad/poignant bits.

6.7/10

Twed

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 20, 2019, 04:16:26 AMInstead we've got this wise-cracking Pikachu narrating or "REACTING TO"  every single thing that happens, in a way which pretty much ruins any memory you might have of Ash's one.
And then it essentially dies at the end. Taking a cute furry animal and transplanting its body into a man is a character death.