Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Creeping thyself Out

Started by BlodwynPig, November 14, 2018, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Imagine, a dense copse beside a lonely golf course. For the past few weeks items have appeared on the bench in front of the copse. First a solitary bicycle wheel. Last week a ladies handbag, nice, but empty. This morning some neon green training shoes, like those kids in the 90s wore but with more pazzaz.

Odd I thought this morning as I ambled to work.

The nights have drawn in. I'm now walking back home in the pitch black and am walking up the path towards the bench.

My mind starts whirring. Perhaps, these items are trinkets left by a serial killer as sort of trophies, but on public display to goad the police or merely as a dare to himself if someone should discover the link. Gah...perhaps he's in the copse now, waiting for his next victim. Perhaps tomorrow someone will find a wooly hat emblazoned with the pongmaster character from Ozric Tentacles lore on the aforementioned bench.

Creeped myself out, right out.

a duncandisorderly

what size were the trainers? they sound cool.

ProvanFan

a duncandisorderly

damn. I can get into eight-&-a-half.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 14, 2018, 03:39:32 AM
damn. I can get into eight-&-a-half.

Yeah, me too. One of Fellini's better films.

a duncandisorderly

Pijlstaart

Remember something similar happening, walked past a neighbours bin and every week there'd be different stuff sticking out of it. It was all tantalising stuff, like what you found, but I daren't take it for myself, the rightful owner might hunt me down. I steal loads of coffee and treats from work, I've got a timetable of catered events so I know where to pop up. I've found a very fat compatriot to mentor me in this stuff, very fat, fat and jolly, but one day there will be repercussions for our behaviour and I fear it.

Buelligan

I do long, very long, before and after shift walks in remote territory.  Not a living soul, apart from wild boar and that sort of thing, (or so I fervently hope) for miles. 

I sometimes consider the fact - because my presence in these wild and darkened places is entirely based on my work (and therefore entirely predictable) - that I'm a prime candidate for abduction and a dirty death.  But I've been doing it so long now that my fears, if I'd allowed them, would have overcome me.  I just put my best foot forward, carry a long and very sharp meat skewer and offer a rakish smile to the darkness.

Last night a pair of bright green trainers were placed neatly in the middle of the path.

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2018, 12:01:31 AM
Imagine, a dense copse beside a lonely golf course...

'Copse', sounds a bit like 'corpse', doesn't it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Buelligan on November 14, 2018, 09:27:51 AM
I do long, very long, before and after shift walks in remote territory.  Not a living soul, apart from wild boar and that sort of thing, (or so I fervently hope) for miles. 

I sometimes consider the fact - because my presence in these wild and darkened places is entirely based on my work (and therefore entirely predictable) - that I'm a prime candidate for abduction and a dirty death. 

Ditto - my cycle commute to work includes a fairly long run "in the middle of nowhere" and, whilst it's an established cycle track, it typically only gets used in the summer, mainly in the school holidays, at sensible o'clock.  When I'm cycling through at 6am I rarely see another soul.  At all.  And all of that run is prime territory for dumping a corpse just over the other side of the hedge.  There's one particular bit - about a quarter of a mile long - which is entirely covered with overhanging trees so it's dark all year round, a sharp almost 90degree bend at one end and a steep hill going up at the other, so it effectively looks and feels like you're trapped.  Absolutely horrible.

Been cycling it for nearly 10 years (less so now I work in a different town), but it still gives me the willies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 14, 2018, 03:15:11 AM
what size were the trainers? they sound cool.

Like this, but more shiny and darker green with graffiti in purple and red.

BlodwynPig

I sometimes consider the fact - because my presence in these wild and darkened places is entirely based on my work (and therefore entirely predictable) - that I'm a prime candidate for abduction and a dirty death.  But I've been doing it so long now that my fears, if I'd allowed them, would have overcome me.  I just put my best foot forward, carry a long and very sharp meat skewer and offer a rakish smile to the darkness.

Last night a pair of bright green trainers were placed neatly in the middle of the path.

request - photo of wild boar, but I guess you don't own or carry a camera :(

BlodwynPig

No items on bench this morning, perhaps he's waiting for a fresh kill...or the snow put him off.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2018, 02:08:06 PM
request - photo of wild boar, but I guess you don't own or carry a camera :(

You guess correctly.  It's interesting, sometimes, like about six weeks ago, there were boar teeming partout.  I even had to stamp about to get the fellows to shift off the path so's I could go on my way.  One night, in particular, there were so many, it was really quite weird.

Recently, I hear them clopping and rustling, but, seemingly, far fewer.  It seemed to change around the time we had the big rain.

BlodwynPig

Icehaven

We do a late shift once a week until about half 7 so at this time of year it's dark when I leave work, and (ridiculously, given the location) the area immediately outside the library where we have to walk through some portakabins is very badly lit, so I have to rattle my keys to scare the rats away, but the mind plays tricks and you can still feel them running over your shoes etc.

Dex Sawash

If anyone spots a pair of green inov8 in uk12/us13, post them to me. My daily pair are knackered.

state of those skirting boards

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2018, 02:47:11 PM
So they are not shy?

It depends, definitely (usually) keen to avoid human proximity but some nights, not often, they seem like different creatures and don't give a damn, it's like they have their own shit going on and humans are way down on their list of concerns.

If you humans could smell what I just smelled, you'd want to stay indoors too.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2018, 02:06:51 PM

Like this, but more shiny and darker green with graffiti in purple and red.

And what colour were they?

BlodwynPig

im barry bethel

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 14, 2018, 03:55:44 PM
If anyone spots a pair of green inov8 in uk12/us13

Typical American, everything has to be bigger

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Buelligan doesn't have a camera ?

BlodwynPig

So tonight it was still dusky and I came a different way home along one of the trails that pass through West Hamilton and enter into the golf course. Crossing the golf course, its getting pretty dark so I go for a piss against a large conifer when I hear a garbled voice coming from the other side - the tree is too dense to see through. I assumed it was a dog walker and I shuffled around the tree to get out of sight. The voice was pretty unnatural but I thought he was just grumbling to the dog. I finished the piss and came around the other side, the expanse of the golf course all around me, apart from a small clump of trees about 100 metres in front. No-one. Absolutely no-one around. I waited a few seconds to see if he had sauntered around the side where I pissed, but nothing.

Gah! It was still light enough not to get completely freaked out, but then I had to enter the trees and my hackles went up. No more incidents though.

Here is the bench.

and the sight of civilisation was a boon

moments after taking this picture, a bloody giant fox came sauntering around the corner and disappeared into the copse to my right. It looked reddish but was about twice the size of the foxes I've seen in the UK, so could have been a coyote.

a duncandisorderly

what size?

Dex Sawash

a duncandisorderly

BlodwynPig

ffs. The horror of dusky encounter with the unknown and you lot witter on about training shoes.

a duncandisorderly

bright green trainers.

but did you notice that the two faces which have appeared in this thread so far are both very talented musical comedians/actors?