Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Favourite (2019)

Started by chveik, November 14, 2018, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Just watched this tonight and thoughts along the line of -

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 21, 2019, 12:15:41 PMWhat with the fish-eye distortion and that it's got a sort of an unsettling vibe to it, like a hazy old film from the 70's.

did come to mind a few times and the whole thing had quite a Kubrickian feel to it. The three main female characters were good parts played well but at the end of the film I did think that it was so far up Hollywoods current sociopolitical (for want of a better word) alley that someone was angling for an oscar more than anything (I know that's a bit unfair).

On the other hand it was a bit weird watching queen Anne get fisted sat next to my mum, didn't see that one coming

Keebleman

I enjoyed it, I thought the tone was well maintained and the three actresses were all terrific.  It was properly erotic too, very rare for movies.  But it didn't seem to be about anything: without that tone - which presumably came from the director - it was pretty standard power-play drama.  It made me wonder what the appeal of the original script was.

I normally can't stand historical films that are deliberately anachronistic, but it was only the dancing scene that irritated me here.  Actually, I wonder if in that scene, Lanthimos was having a deliberate dig at the current obsession with diversity: that scene, the most flagrantly, ridiculously out-of-time moment in the whole film, had some black extras among the spectators.  There were black extras at other points, but only among the servants, which is much more plausible, but here they were among the guests. 

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Keebleman on January 30, 2019, 08:35:14 PM
I normally can't stand historical films that are deliberately anachronistic, but it was only the dancing scene that irritated me here.  Actually, I wonder if in that scene, Lanthimos was having a deliberate dig at the current obsession with diversity: that scene, the most flagrantly, ridiculously out-of-time moment in the whole film, had some black extras among the spectators.  There were black extras at other points, but only among the servants, which is much more plausible, but here they were among the guests.

My theory is that the anachronistic elements of that scene existed purely for the trailer. The weird dance served only to distract from Anne's jealousy and (unexplained?) hatred of music.

gilbertharding

Regarding the black people in this film, every time I think about it, I can't decide if it's deliberate, point-makingly anachronistic, or genuine colourblind casting, or both, or maybe neither, and if so, whether or not it's a good thing.

I vaccilate between these dozen permutations so fast I end up dizzy.

I wonder if the terrible made up dance they're doing in that key scene is a clue.

gilbertharding

I mean, if there are black people in the film (and not just as servants) because there is evidence that black people were actually present in the real life then film is portraying, then that's great. It's even fine if they're in the film because there's no evidence that there weren't black people in the 17th Century royal court. I'm also totally across the idea that we should be working towards a world where skin colour is about the least relevant factor in the opportunities offered a person, and 'why not' cast whoever you want?

Of course, the icing on the cake is that it really really annoys almost exactly the right people.

marquis_de_sad

I think the era of Queen Anne is a bit early for black courtiers. Maybe in London you might come across black people who weren't servants, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a mild anachronism in a film that isn't strict about the historical details, so it should only bother boring cunts (as you say).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 31, 2019, 02:07:50 AM
The weird dance served only to distract from Anne's jealousy and (unexplained?) hatred of music.

Are you getting that from the scene where she got upset and screamed at the little orchestra through the window? I thought that was a bit odd but according to a (Sight and Sound?) review, it was because they were all children that she was upset.

When did she get fisted?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 01, 2019, 11:36:16 PM
Are you getting that from the scene where she got upset and screamed at the little orchestra through the window? I thought that was a bit odd but according to a (Sight and Sound?) review, it was because they were all children that she was upset.

She got upset when Lady Marlborough and (whoever it was) were dancing. I first thought it was just jealousy, but later she got upset when she heard music being played by some disgusting children (the scene you mention). Maybe I'm conflating the two, but it seem that something about music first entices her then upsets her. Dunno.

zomgmouse

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 02, 2019, 03:05:10 AM
She got upset when Lady Marlborough and (whoever it was) were dancing. I first thought it was just jealousy, but later she got upset when she heard music being played by some disgusting children (the scene you mention). Maybe I'm conflating the two, but it seem that something about music first entices her then upsets her. Dunno.

The second time with the orchestra was definitely because they were children. The first time with the dancing I read as partly jealousy and partly a bitterness that she couldn't dance because of her leg.

Mister Six

Just watched this, and generally echo the favourable talk upthread. Smashing woozy, occasionally delirious tone; wonderful characters; superb performances. The whole thing was a joy.