Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,385
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can someone tell me how to stop Esquire Middle East updates please?

Started by Shit Good Nose, November 14, 2018, 09:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Keep getting them on my phone, sometimes twice a day.  No idea how - I've never even gone on the main Esquire website.  They're not via Facebook or Instagram or anything, they're updates which direct you straight to the website.

The only thing I can see is how to subscribe, which I obvs don't want to do. 

Driving me up the fucking wall.

Genuine and comedy answers welcome.

New Jack

Assuming Chrome

Go into settings
Basics: notifications
Look for the inevitable Esquire entry you need to switch off there

You more of a GQ man these days then?

Cuellar

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: New Jack on November 14, 2018, 09:09:12 AM
Assuming Chrome

Go into settings
Basics: notifications
Look for the inevitable Esquire entry you need to switch off there

Thanks.  Couldn't find anything specific for Esquire, but just turned off all of the generic notifications (sports, entertainment, lifestyle etc).  Hopefully that's worked.

You more of a GQ man these days then?

Chunky Asses.  Page 26 in this month's is incredible.

Sebastian Cobb

I've always wondered what allowing notifications does, I've always instinctively blocked them.

Shit Good Nose

What's odd is how they started in the first place - I looked at everything under the global banner (Hearst) and all of the affiliates of both Esquire and Hearst, and there's nothing remotely linked to anything I've signed up to via my phone.

I thought it was spam or something dodgier when I first saw it as I had no idea there was a Middle East version, but it's properly legit.

Weird.

And possibly of concern?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 14, 2018, 10:24:53 AM
I've always wondered what allowing notifications does, I've always instinctively blocked them.

It depends on the site. I have them allowed on another forum, if you have a forum page open you get a popup wkth a link if someone quotes you, karmas you, PMs you or there is a reply to a thread you are subscribed. This one may be a forum s/w option not the full on browser allow notifications, I never checked.

I have them allowed on our corporate portal to Saab and I get little popups in browser when they have a  new service bulletin or something posted. I get these even if I am not logged into the Saab USA website but only on my work PC. I get maybe 3/month, helpful.

I bet you get some real shitty behaviour from alowing it on clickbait sites.

New Jack

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 14, 2018, 10:45:13 AM
What's odd is how they started in the first place - I looked at everything under the global banner (Hearst) and all of the affiliates of both Esquire and Hearst, and there's nothing remotely linked to anything I've signed up to via my phone.

I thought it was spam or something dodgier when I first saw it as I had no idea there was a Middle East version, but it's properly legit.

Weird.

And possibly of concern?

It is odd. I have accidentally allowed stuff on Windows Chrome which in turn syncs to mobile, but I don't know if you do that and it's still weird it didn't itemise this notification, though if all notifications stop now I wouldn't worry

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: New Jack on November 14, 2018, 12:22:13 PM
It is odd. I have accidentally allowed stuff on Windows Chrome which in turn syncs to mobile, but I don't know if you do that and it's still weird it didn't itemise this notification, though if all notifications stop now I wouldn't worry

Course, the problem now is I'm worried I've switched off my Chunky Asses notifications...

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 14, 2018, 10:45:13 AM

On a desktop here, not a phone, but I did something similar with facebook once.  A little popup appeared asking me something about notifications with a yes or no and I clicked yes, and then even when Chrome wasn't even running it kept popping up the notifications accompanied with a little sound.  I discovered that although I'd closed Chrome it must have been keeping a process running just so it could keep on doing the notifications, I had to Google to find out how to turn the buggers off.