Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you think that's wise, sir? Part 2 - Dad's Army recreated

Started by Ignatius_S, November 14, 2018, 12:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Missed the original announcement, but Gold will be filming scripts of three lost Dad's Army episodes and the Daily Mail are claiming that Kevin McNally will play Captain Mainwaring; Robert Bathurst, Sergeant Wilson; and Bernard Cribbins will be Godfrey.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5097/dads_army_2019_cast/

Dyl Spinks

These are going to be on Gold over the next few days. 8pm, I think.

Just caught a trailer while flicking channels and thought I'd post.

neveragain

Looked very authentic but a weird episode with a few uncharacteristic moments. It illustrated how vital and talented the original cast were, dare I say they often raised the material. Kevin McNally did a great Hancock a little while ago but he doesn't manage Mainwaring. Timothy West painfully underused so far.

Eldon pretty damn good though!

weekender

Quote from: neveragain on August 26, 2019, 01:50:21 PM
It illustrated how vital and talented the original cast were, dare I say they often raised the material.

Very good point. 

I agree that the original cast were very talented, and what I felt from watching episode 1 of these remakes is that the quality of the script was also good.

It just felt like to me that there was something missing from the first remake episode, and - with all due respect to them as actors - it's the chaps playing Mainwaring and Pike.

Horne was brilliant as Walker, as was Eldon as Jones.  Seamless.

Bathurst took a while to get into Wilson, but was believable by the end.

Still looking forward to the next episode.

steveh

I was pleasantly surprised by the episode given what it has to live up to, though I do hope after these they leave it there.

I did wonder when they did the original episodes if what was filmed was exactly what was in the surviving scripts and if they had also changed much with the filming this time.

drdad

Quote from: steveh on August 27, 2019, 07:58:14 AM
I did wonder when they did the original episodes if what was filmed was exactly what was in the surviving scripts and if they had also changed much with the filming this time.

The original scripts have been published. From what I remember, barring the odd minor change, they are pretty close to the finished episodes. Unless they were also changed for publication.

metaltax

I thought this was all over the place. Mainwaring was great, Wilson was OK, Walker was - and this really surprised me - really good. Kevin Eldon though? Jesus man, dial it down a bit. He and Pike were hamming it up like it was panto.

The thing with Matthew Horne's Walker is that his voice and accent is so far removed from James Beck's, that he doesn't occupy the uncanny valley that many of the others do. I think Timothy West is playing Godfrey in the same vein but he's had so little to do it's hard to tell.

I think Eldon's performance is fine as Clive Dunn always ate the scenery when he played Jones, but I really don't understand what the fuck Tom Rosenthal is trying to do here. It's more like Kenneth Williams' Snide than Pike.