Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phoning UK hotlines from abroad

Started by MoonDust, November 14, 2018, 05:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

The hotline is Samaritans. Not that I need it now, if you're worried. But I am in a very intense low lately and it would have been nice to have someone anonymous to talk to a few days ago for instance.

Can one phone Samaritans from abroad? I didn't put it in the thread title because I didn't want to alarm everyone, so figured I'd keep the subject line vague. There's no cause for alarm from my end so didn't want to unnecessarily cause alarm here.

The main equivalent in Germany seems to be Telefonseelsorge, but I tried that twice and it rang and rang until it went to the answering machine. Which er, isn't great, and quite worrying.

BlodwynPig

Can skype me if you wish. Not a bad joke. Mean it.

Icehaven

Quote from: MoonDust on November 14, 2018, 05:22:45 PM
The hotline is Samaritans. Not that I need it now, if you're worried. But I am in a very intense low lately and it would have been nice to have someone anonymous to talk to.

Can one phone Samaritans from abroad? I didn't put it in the thread title because I didn't want to alarm everyone, so figured I'd keep the subject line vague. There's no cause for alarm from my end so didn't want to unnecessarily cause alarm here.

The main equivalent in Germany seems to be Telefonseelsorge, but I tried that twice and it rang and rang until it went to the answering machine. Which er, isn't great, and quite worrying.

I'm really sorry to hear you're not feeling too crash hot and hope you're alright, but the idea of a Samaritans-esque phone listening service that goes to answerphone is bleakly hilarious.

This is on the Samaritans website if that's any good, might be what you've already see though.
https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/how-our-service-helps/other-sources-help/outside-uk-or-ireland

MoonDust

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
I'm really sorry to hear you're not feeling too crash hot and hope you're alright, but the idea of a Samaritans-esque phone listening service that goes to answerphone is bleakly hilarious.

This is on the Samaritans website if that's any good, might be what you've already see though.
https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/how-our-service-helps/other-sources-help/outside-uk-or-ireland

I must admit I did find something morbidly/absurdly humorous about that too.

Cheers for the link. I tried that and there's no Befrienders here in Germany. I mean I emailed Samaritans recently which was nice. If not slightly embarrassing because of the inevitable delay; by the time I get a reply I'm usually feeling better and therefore curl my toes when I see the email pop up.

MoonDust

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2018, 05:26:16 PM
Can skype me if you wish. Not a bad joke. Mean it.

Thanks for the offer. :)

Like I said I'm in no need for such talk now but I'll keep this in mind.

You've been warned.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MoonDust on November 14, 2018, 05:33:28 PM
Thanks for the offer. :)

Like I said I'm in no need for such talk now but I'll keep this in mind.

You've been warned.

Its fine. Pm me anytime. Im 5 hours behind GMT.

Happy to listen.

Sebastian Cobb

Skype can call 0800 numbers apparently. Not used it though.

MoonDust

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 14, 2018, 05:40:26 PM
Skype can call 0800 numbers apparently. Not used it though.

I didn't know that. Thanks!