Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Lewis Xmas Ad with Elton John & Theme Tunes

Started by Malcy, November 14, 2018, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Apparently this is airing tomorrow at 9.15pm and Elton John is doing something in it. A lot of today's theme tunes on ITV have been replaced with a piano version. Happened on This Morning, The Chase, Emmerdale & Corrie that I know of and it's been linked to the Xmas advert.

So has Elton John been doing these theme tunes as part of the ad?

Emma Raducanu

Dunno but I'm so excited. Remember the dog on the trampoline??

biggytitbo

I hope Elton John and his theme tunes burn down.

shiftwork2

I'm right pumped right PUMPED for this massive buzz.

Got a free coffee and cake from these cunts this week because I have a John Lewis card.  Significantly more middle class than you dregs.

mothman

I should really be bothered to look this up, but has a JL advert tune been Crimbo No.1 yet?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on November 14, 2018, 08:57:17 PM
I should really be bothered to look this up, but has a JL advert tune been Crimbo No.1 yet?

The Snowmen b-side Don't Go Short is my top tip for this year's chrimbo number 1.

garnish

They did a sad piano version of the Darkplace theme tune over the closing credits in the episode with Skipper the eye child.  It reminded me a little of when Madge died in Neighbours.

thenoise

Makes sense that adverts should invade the programmes as well as the other way round. Or isn't this product placement badness? Does it not count cos Christmas?

I like John Lewis but there adverts are shite, even the first one. Formulaic bullshit ever since.

Thomas

It's a matter of principle for me that, in a consumerist economy, adverts are a necessary evil, and should only ever be viewed with that in mind. Reluctantly and begrudgingly. Avoid all if possible. Adblock the TV with a cardboard flap.

The idea that, come Christmas time, it's somehow a nice thing to go to YouTube and specifically seek out an advert - it makes me sick. Sharing an advert on Facebook, for god's sake. You are doing their job for free. You've been swindled. Had. It brings to mind something S. Lee said about M. McIntyre's fans: 'captured partisans digging their own mass graves.'

After ten years adverts become items of nostalgia, detached from their original capitalist purpose, and then it's okay to like them. Especially if they have a fuzzy VHS quality, or were designed long ago by the Mad Men.

Until then: no. John Lewis is going to have to work fucking hard and fucking patiently if he wants me to glimpse even a second of this year's manipulative bullshit festive sell-stuff campaign this side of 2028.

Chollis

Is there any way to live stream this into my ballsack?

Sainsbury's advert has a twee school play version of You Get What You Give by New Radicals - can't be many songs left that haven't had the Christmas advert treatment now.  Some advertising genius must've decided that a song with 'getting' and 'giving' in it will bring the cash-in.

Definitely doing my Christmas shopping at Sainsbury's now - have got a pound of mince, some interdental toothbrushes and a car air freshener on my list so far.

PlanktonSideburns

Black Ship

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Thomas on November 14, 2018, 11:07:24 PM
It's a matter of principle for me that, in a consumerist economy, adverts are a necessary evil, and should only ever be viewed with that in mind. Reluctantly and begrudgingly. Avoid all if possible. Adblock the TV with a cardboard flap.

The idea that, come Christmas time, it's somehow a nice thing to go to YouTube and specifically seek out an advert - it makes me sick. Sharing an advert on Facebook, for god's sake. You are doing their job for free. You've been swindled. Had. It brings to mind something S. Lee said about M. McIntyre's fans: 'captured partisans digging their own mass graves.'

After ten years adverts become items of nostalgia, detached from their original capitalist purpose, and then it's okay to like them. Especially if they have a fuzzy VHS quality, or were designed long ago by the Mad Men.

Until then: no. John Lewis is going to have to work fucking hard and fucking patiently if he wants me to glimpse even a second of this year's manipulative bullshit festive sell-stuff campaign this side of 2028.

Hear hear.

shiftwork2

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 15, 2018, 08:54:37 AM
If you don't like Elton John you're not going to like it.

An advert for Elton John.

If you don't like Elton John, John Lewis, Christmas or adverts...

Norton Canes

Nice of them to substitute their actual advert with something shit at the last minute to make sure the Iceland ad continues to get all the attention.

Cuellar

Quote from: Thomas on November 14, 2018, 11:07:24 PM

Reminds me of watching the Superbowl in a bar in New York a year or two ago, and there was genuinely more interest in the adverts than the game among the patrons. A horrid spectacle: "Oh my god! They've got x!! Ha ha! This is great!!! Wow that advert was good, but not as good as y"

batwings

It doesn't feel like Christmas until I can wish slow fucking death on all the cunts excited for the new John Lewis ad.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 15, 2018, 08:54:37 AM
If you don't like Elton John you're not going to like it.

An advert for Elton John.

Hasn't he done a pop video like this before where he's in all his different incarnations?  Anyway, nice little teaser for his upcoming biopic. Shrewd.

Quote from: batwings on November 15, 2018, 09:38:09 AM
It doesn't feel like Christmas until I can wish slow fucking death on all the cunts excited for the new John Lewis ad.

Or the fucking Coke truck. Go down, queue for three hours to get a mixer can and take a photo. HOLIDAYS ARE FUCKING COMING.

thenoise

Holidays may or may not be coming, but I can't think of anything less christmassy than cocacola, always. Time fo some quality drinks instead, or at least some fucking booze.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

I liked it. A subtle advert for that film that's out next year.

BUT! Elton has said that he doesn't have pianos in any of his houses so in this advert are we to believe that he's broken into someone's front room to sing "Your Song"?

BlodwynPig

The popularity of Elton John is baffling. Awful songs, awful man.

Dannyhood91

thenoise

Fucks sake I clicked on it and it raised a goosebump or two. Fucksake!!

mothman

I'm largely indifferent to Elton John, and I don't regard the JL advert as any great bellwether for the holiday season, but by the same coin I also refuse to work myself up to the point of apoplexy at the notion of marketing strategies as manifestatioins of the capitalist ethos in what is after all a capitalist society. But it has to be said that advert, as a short film, was technically very well done.

biggytitbo

Why doesn't it have a scene from Princess Diana's funeral, that's his most famous moment isn't it?

Thomas

Santa lives his life like a candle in the winter.