Author Topic: Lovecraft and Presence  (Read 5565 times)

mothman

• I don't know why
Re: Lovecraft and Presence
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2019, 06:25:17 PM »
Is there a recommended reading order or list? Because I wouldn’t know where to start.

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
Is there a recommended reading order or list? Because I wouldn’t know where to start.

Start anywhere, it doesn't matter.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »
All the stories stand up on their own. The mythos is an undercurrent throughout the stories; all of Lovecraft's tales are glimpses of the same fictional world, which has a cumulative effect as more are read.

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
Just chiming into say that I've finally gotten round to reading The Weird and the Eerie and it manages to really gleam some clear-sighted insights from Freud's pretty tortured essay on 'The Uncanny' - I reread the latter recently for teaching and it struck me that many of Freud's examples of the uncanny (such as automatons) are unnerving because we can't immediately locate the source of their agency and whether they are being moved from within or by some outside agency. So, it's really useful (and a bit uncanny since I've come to read 'TWatE' just days after having taught that class, having those ponderings) to have Fisher situate the question of agency at the heart of his understanding of the uncanny and then use it as a means to separate the weird from the eerie. Really impressive work and stuffed to the gills with the kind of hauntological references to 1970s kids TV that you people love!

BlodwynPig

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2019, 02:38:33 AM »
Just chiming into say that I've finally gotten round to reading The Weird and the Eerie and it manages to really gleam some clear-sighted insights from Freud's pretty tortured essay on 'The Uncanny' - I reread the latter recently for teaching and it struck me that many of Freud's examples of the uncanny (such as automatons) are unnerving because we can't immediately locate the source of their agency and whether they are being moved from within or by some outside agency. So, it's really useful (and a bit uncanny since I've come to read 'TWatE' just days after having taught that class, having those ponderings) to have Fisher situate the question of agency at the heart of his understanding of the uncanny and then use it as a means to separate the weird from the eerie. Really impressive work and stuffed to the gills with the kind of hauntological references to 1970s kids TV that you people love!

What is this WatE? Interest piqued.

daf

• Roll On Mum
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »
What is this WatE? Interest piqued.

It's a long-form essay (or series of short essays) by the late Mark Fisher on defining the weird and the eerie, using Freud's essay on the uncanny as a jumping off point. In short, Fisher defines the weird as presence where there should be absence (and, as noted by the OP, uses examples from Lovecraft to prove his point) and the eerie as absence where there should be presence (like Felixstowe). It's a little speculative at times, but more systematic than Freud's original essay, with lots of pleasing pop culture references, especially to SF and weird fiction.

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
P.S. Lovely Rock Paper Shotgun article about eerie places in games inspired by Fisher's writing:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/01/the-eeriest-places-in-games-are-the-ones-where-the-environment-is-the-monster/

(mostly posting because I love Pathologic, but it is otherwise also very good!)

BlodwynPig

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:14 PM »
Shitty page making me turn off adblocker, which, on safari, means jumping through hoops now.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
don't worry, I took that extra 10 seconds to disable and read.

thanks Gouty

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »
but then I took the extra 30 seconds to use internet archive!

You owe me 20 seconds Blodders!

BlodwynPig

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2019, 01:57:06 AM »
but then I took the extra 30 seconds to use internet archive!

You owe me 20 seconds Blodders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVoNzk3_5Ow

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
P.S. Lovely Rock Paper Shotgun article about eerie places in games inspired by Fisher's writing:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/01/the-eeriest-places-in-games-are-the-ones-where-the-environment-is-the-monster/

(mostly posting because I love Pathologic, but it is otherwise also very good!)

Interesting article, but I do hate it when writers use that "X told me" construction. Stop inserting yourself into the story, Ewan Wilson! Nobody's here for you.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
GET IN!! I'm travelling to Boston in April and after a discussion with QDRPHNC last night realised that Providence is only 1 hour away by train. Will be doing a Lovecraft walking tour. Deep Ones - be prepared!

Pingers

• I can produce 3,500 water voles a year if required
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
You jammy arse

BlodwynPig

« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »
You jammy arse

Where should I visit...I'll send you some postcards

Pingers

• I can produce 3,500 water voles a year if required
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »
I've never been - New England is on my bucket list, purely for Lovecraft purposes. If you manage to get some good photos you should definitely post some on here.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
I've never been - New England is on my bucket list, purely for Lovecraft purposes. If you manage to get some good photos you should definitely post some on here.

Happy to get you some gifts and send them over. If I find a first edition Necronomicon for example.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Happy to get you some gifts and send them over. If I find a first edition Necronomicon for example.

You should take a camcorder (or one of those iphone things) and record the whole event and post it on here. If you do so I will pay you an entire pound coin.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
My landlady said "Providence is ok, a large gay community. But you should go to the Kennedy Library instead"

BlodwynPig

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »
Fucked it. Had a very pricey ticket to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in Toronto - but booked my Harvard trip for the same time.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
Not very provident of you.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
Not very provident of you.

:(