Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Le wrong generation

Started by garnish, November 14, 2018, 11:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnish

What era would you like to have lived in? Do any of you have a preference for modern day over all other times in history?

PlanktonSideburns

Now out of choice - but being on the dole in the 90s might be ace - I'd certainly get more done - my day today consisted of destroying hundreds of brand new iPhones for convoluted international shipping reasons, felt like a bit of a waste of time to be honest

Thomas

It might be rose-tinted romanticism, but I do sometimes wish I'd been born in dinosaur times.

Chairman Bodog

I reckon I'd make Diogenes feel sick.

Bazooka

1950's America, can put cigs in my white T-shirt sleeve and not look abnormal.

1990s: all the comforts of modern life, but before the internet destroyed civilization; political climate was secretly awful rather than aggressively and openly awful; new episode of Seinfeld every week

imitationleather

Whenever it was that Four Weddings had just come out.

Absorb the anus burn

kittens

chveik

Lemming

The future, after all this shit has been sorted out and we live in a much better society with way better tech. If we ever get to the point of easy space travel to other planets with other life, that'd be the time to be living in.

If we have to pick from existing times, then I'll just pick today. It sucks, but on the whole it's less shit than everything before it, as far as I can tell.

imitationleather

When no matter how bad things seemed, you knew that once a month you were getting a new Sue Cook-fronted episode of Crimewatch UK.

Sin Agog

Would have dug hanging out at the Goncourt Brothers' decadent & naturalist writers meet-ups alongside Theophile Gautier, Octave Mirbeau, Ivan Turgenev, Flaubert, Maupassant, Huysmans, Balzac, Zola, and all the other sexist, materialist, but talented fuckers they chillaxed with. 
I'd seem hopelessly anaemic in their company, but it would be edifying just basking in their glow.

Buelligan

I remember, before I came here and just after, how much I wanted it.  How even the trees seemed strange and more beautiful than those I was used to.  Possibilities for fascinating encounters everywhere.  Now it's home, I hardly notice the weirdness of the trees.

I think the idea of something different and strange is always appealing, a different country, a different time, a different partner. Essentially, they're all the same, what changes is how we see them, seen through the eyeholes of self.  Dulled by familiarity.  We must make our own romance, catch it and recognise it when it flutters past.  It's everywhere and nowhere, baby.

We have been in all of the past, our cells passed down the generations, searching for something in each incarnation.  And hope for the next.  Don't let all this distract you from now, the trees really are remarkably beautiful.

im barry bethel

bgmnts

Yeah its hard to disagree with barry.

Just loading up three machine guns.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 15, 2018, 07:49:54 AM
Just loading up three machine guns.

Thats one way of putting it. It's a very sexy image.

Icehaven

I spent most of my young life wishing I'd been born in about 1875 so I'd be a proper late-Victorian/Edwardian. A rich English male one of course, some kind of cross between Sebastian Flyte and Bertie Wooster (early exposure to Brideshead Revisited and Jeeves and Wooster being mostly to blame.) But I grew out of it.

I sometimes think it might have been good to be about twenty in 1980 purely for the bands I'd like to have seen, but I probably still wouldn't have seen half of them and it'd mean I'd be nearly 60 now so sod that. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 14, 2018, 11:53:02 PM
1990s: all the comforts of modern life, but before the internet destroyed civilization; political climate was secretly awful rather than aggressively and openly awful; new episode of Seinfeld every week

And Larry Sanders was on too. I was 15 - 25 in the '90s and feel incredibly lucky, plus I had more money then I've ever had since due to a six grand inheritance / reasonably well paid job and only paying my mum £25 a week rent. Plus festivals rarely sold out and if you wanted you could get a ticket on the day itself. They were strange, glorious days.

Other than the 90s I'd quite like to have been part of the 1920's, but only if I was well off and could hang out in New York with Dorothy Parker and the rest of the Algonquin Round Table.

kittens

thenoise

Back when men were men and women were sexy.

New Jack

Sixties Haight-Ashbury. Man, to be an acid casualty back then.

Being one now just doesn't suffice. Been reading Steal This Book (which I stole). Really fascinating and even sweet to see directory listings by city basically about: Turn up fucked here and you'll be taken in. The open distrust of authority. The drugs, the music, even the serial killers were better

We lost something along the way. Demonising love, Tippexing civil rights. These school shooters have nothing on the sheer marksmanship of Charles Whitman.

I say peace and love, and I get called a fuckin cuck snowflake. So I tell you'd I'd fuckin knife-fight you cunt come do it face to face you'll be in pieces and I'd love it, and you back out because white men should stick together. Ffs