Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld coming to London

Started by Timothy, November 15, 2018, 12:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Not sure if already posted but Seinfeld will be playing in London on 12th and 13th of July. Four shows, two on each day.
Tickets are on Livenation, 74 - 107 pounds.

New Jack

What's the deal with those ticket prices? Isn't he a millionaire many times over? *grins inanely at crowd*

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Nowhere Man

Bloody hell, for a comedian? Probably will be difficult to get great seats too.

Small Man Big Horse

It's ridiculous isn't it, I really don't think comedy works in venues that size unless you're seated relatively near to the front, and there's no way I'm playing anything over £50 for a comedian, and even then it'd have to be for amazing seats and a comedian I absolutely adore.

notjosh

I think the Apollo is the right size for a 'big' show, providing you're in the first 20 or so rows in the stalls or the first 10 or so in the circle. I've seen some great shows there with brilliant atmospheres (Chris Rock in 2010 was really something). Anything bigger, especially in an arena or stadium set-up is comedy death though.

Did look into getting tickets for this, but the only ones at a reasonable price were in Circle Row Z, which is really not worth it.

up_the_hampipe

Arenas aren't always comedy death, just has to be the kind of performer that can own that space.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 15, 2018, 04:27:20 PM
Arenas aren't always comedy death, just has to be the kind of performer that can own that space.

More often than not they are, though.  I'm REALLY struggling to think of one brilliant show I've seen at an arena.  Even Bill Bailey, my favourite comedian, fucked it with the abysmal Tinselworm tour.  I thought he'd learnt his lesson from that as, tellingly, nearly everything from that show (stylistically and comedically) was dropped for the next tour and he's been playing theatres on every tour since, but I read the other day that he's doing another arena tour next year.  Sigh.

I bet Seinfeld only does just over an hour as well.  Can't stand him anyway, but fuck that.

Rolf Lundgren

I'm tempted but don't think I can justify it with that price.

Looking at the times, the show starts at 7 then the doors open at 8:30 for the next show. Under that restriction, he probably won't even do the full hour. It's sort of admirable/money-grabbing that he's letting as many people as possible see the show but it's not going to be much of an evening out.

notjosh

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 15, 2018, 04:56:44 PM
I'm REALLY struggling to think of one brilliant show I've seen at an arena.  Even Bill Bailey, my favourite comedian, fucked it with the abysmal Tinselworm tour.  I thought he'd learnt his lesson from that as, tellingly, nearly everything from that show (stylistically and comedically) was dropped for the next tour and he's been playing theatres on every tour since, but I read the other day that he's doing another arena tour next year.  Sigh.

I actually quite liked that tour! The material wasn't his strongest, but in terms of playing to the venue I thought he did a great job, and I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and silly multi-screen stuff. I actually ended up seeing it twice though and the second time was noticeably less strong. I was surprised to discover that even with the complicated tie-in visuals etc that he pretty much makes up his set order as he goes along, and I much preferred the structuring of the first show I saw.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 15, 2018, 05:13:55 PM

Looking at the times, the show starts at 7 then the doors open at 8:30 for the next show. Under that restriction, he probably won't even do the full hour. It's sort of admirable/money-grabbing that he's letting as many people as possible see the show but it's not going to be much of an evening out.

70 quid plus for only 60 minutes, at best then? Jesus, that's just insulting, I hope he gets the same reaction as Sarah Silverman did when she was only on stage for a short time.

New Jack

I'd pay over a pound a minute in London if Michael Richards opened for him, having some kind of racial meltdown before walking away from the stunned crowd for a baffled Jerry to attempt to reinvigorate via the unique medium of noticing the prices of whatever Americans call crisps, but even that's trite and played-out these days so I feel I won't quite be doing this

A George Costanza set though. Sign me up.

Thursday

But isn't he an unfunny cunt even aside from all the issues being ridiculous money to see him in a shit arena?

Is it really worth it just because he did a funny sitcom over 20-30 years ago?

Timothy

Kinda weird seeing all the comments about it being expensive. I absolutely agree, but here in Amsterdam it seems to be the norm when you're seeing an international comedian to pay top price.

Chris Rock was 90 euros for an hour. Dave Chappelle was 90 euros for 50 minutes. Louis CK was 90 euros for an hour.
Bill Bailey was around 60 - 70 euros. John Cleese asked 90 euros.

Only comedians that asked normal price here were TJ Miller (28 euros), Russell Brand (40 euros) and Dylan Moran (30 euros). Eddie Izzard is around 30 - 60 euros.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd like to see him write a joke better than those ticket prices!!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Thursday on November 15, 2018, 07:31:46 PM
But isn't he an unfunny cunt even aside from all the issues being ridiculous money to see him in a shit arena?

Not all of us even think he did a funny sitcom...

New Jack

TheMonk

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 15, 2018, 05:13:55 PM

Really? That's bizarrely tight. Surely there's going to be a horrible mash of people crossing over. Parking for the 8:30 lot will be abysmal.

When you think Connolly usually did 3 hours for many years.
I assume Seinfeld thinks it's fine because it's all honed to the second.

Wet Blanket

Do you reckon he plays any secret gigs at the Leicester Square Theatre or comedy clubs for a fraction of that price, if you're in the know? He is a comedian's comedian sort who makes a big deal about honing his act in clubs isn't he? 

I'm surprised he can command such prices considering he's not that well known in the mainstream over here. I can imagine many more casual comedy fans will shell out to see a famous face like Chris Rock than the star of a US sitcom that nobody but aficionados watched.

Chollis

Quote from: Thursday on November 15, 2018, 07:31:46 PM

notjosh

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 16, 2018, 12:20:25 PM
Do you reckon he plays any secret gigs at the Leicester Square Theatre or comedy clubs for a fraction of that price, if you're in the know? He is a comedian's comedian sort who makes a big deal about honing his act in clubs isn't he? 

He dropped in at the Comedy Store last time.
https://www.timeout.com/london/comedy/comedy-store-gallery-10

lankyguy95

^
Was about to say that. Might be a better idea to take a risk with that than pay £80 to see him for fifty minutes in a much less enjoyable environment.

QDRPHNC

I saw him in quite a large venue a couple of years ago and he was great.

arpster

a legend in an industry full of cunts...worth every shiny penny...

Gradual Decline

Cheaper going to see Michael McIntyre. Basically the same material.