Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The kilogram, like the pope, is infallible

Started by Noonling, November 16, 2018, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Exciting news from the BBC: Definition of kilogram set to change

Quote"I think it is such an exciting thing and this is a really big moment. So I'm a little bit sad about (the change). But it is an important step forward and so the new system is going to work a lot better. So it is also a really exciting time. And I can't wait for it to happen."

I don't know if I want this thread to be about the exciting kilogram news or the increasing oddness in some of the BBC's news articles.

EOLAN

I always thought that the gram was the base weight. With the kilogram being defined by being one thousand of them (a kilo). So shouldn't the gram be needing to change or will a kilogram now be something like 999.9952 grams.

biggytitbo

Its one of the last measurements to still use a physical artefact isn't it? All the others have already converted to be based on some constant of the universe.

Dr Trouser

its not just the kilogram a vote is going on (right now!!) to redefine all the SI units.

Overshadowed by Brexit so won't get the coverage it deserves.

live stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA67T7FPBME

edit: not now, at 10:00 am UK time, got confused with ECT, hopefully Brexi will put an end to that

biggytitbo

If we leave the EU we have to go back to using the megalithic yard and the cubit.

Old Nehamkin

Alberon

The kilogram, and indeed all standard measurements, should be floated on the stock market and allowed to find their natural levels instead of the current communist system where their values are imposed by diktat.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like the old way, where there's a room that contains the perfect kilo, the most accurate metre etc.

im barry bethel

QuoteThe electrical current going through the electromagnet is increased until the two sides are perfectly balanced.

Does that look plumb to you Lance?

im barry bethel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 16, 2018, 09:43:11 AM
I quite like the old way, where there's a room that contains the perfect kilo, the most accurate metre etc.

Biggy's arse weighs less at the summit of Everest than it does on the No.93 to Chappeltown

Norton Canes

I think some SI units could be defined by CaB constants. For instance a second is the exact time it takes to realise a given post of Biggy's makes no sense.

SORRY BIGGY had to use someone.

A kelvin could simply be the temperature of Kelvin.

Norton Canes

Fuck my hat! There are only seven base units.

Kelvin

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 16, 2018, 12:01:06 PM
I think some SI units could be defined by CaB constants. For instance a second is the exact time it takes to realise a given post of Biggy's makes no sense.

SORRY BIGGY had to use someone.

A kelvin could simply be the temperature of Kelvin.

I'm like the speaking clock. Scientists constantly call me up from all over the world asking me to stick a thermometer up my bum.

I suppose that makes me more like a sex line than the speaking clock, actually.

kittens

hey kelvin,
speaking cock!
yours forever,
kittens

Dr Trouser

There used to be a bloke who worked at the national physical laboratory looking at the SI unit of luminous intensity, who everyone called Nelson. Turned his name wasn't Nelson, so when I asked why it's because they called him 'Nelson Candela'. Laugh a minute that job was.

pancreas

Quote from: kittens on November 16, 2018, 01:48:45 PM
kelvin

No use calling after him now. He's crying in the shower after what you just said.