Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Everyday Racism

Started by lebowskibukowski, November 16, 2018, 10:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 16, 2018, 01:36:28 PM
I can see the logic behind their fear. If you let them buy a door, they'll be wanting to buy a house. A house next door.

What context was this in?

I honestly have no idea. They were on their phone talking to someone.

slapasoldier

QuoteAll white people are racist. America is racist. To deny this isn't just racist, it's irrational.

https://twitter.com/sairasameerarao/status/1063269397660229632

Quotei never take it personally when i hear poc speak negatively about white people in general because a) i know their stories are true and b) i know they don't apply to me. by taking it personally, you become part of the problem.
Quoteblack people can't afford to make exceptions for "good" white people because we'll take any opportunity to exclude ourselves. i don't take it personally, but my existence, my privilege, and every second i don't spend denouncing bigotry maintains the structure of white supremacy

https://twitter.com/Schmaniel/status/1063165537419694081

Utter Shit

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 16, 2018, 01:20:17 PM
I'm in Brighton, so should supposedly be surrounded by the most liberal and understanding people in the country. It's so tricky in a work environment as well, if you bump into someone in the street or in the pub spouting this sort of stuff you can just move on or tell them to fuck off, but in a place of work you can't really admonish them. Normally I'll just smile and nod until they get to the end of their tirade.
And I like football, but it is so weird that people will just assume that you will know what they are talking about when they say something like, with no preamble,"Wazza should've dinked it, shunt 'e?"

I lived in Brighton for a decade (just north in Burgess Hill now) and I found that outside the universities it was probably less liberal than where I grew up in London, where everyone just sort of lets you get on with whatever you're doing without paying much attention to it. It's almost as if the student quest for a liberal paradise has led to the rest of the city growing weary of it and moving slightly to the right. Not aggressively so, more a case of being over-exposed to the more ludicrous end of what students want to achieve and tiring o of it to the point of taking the piss out of it.

In any case, the multi-culturalism of Brighton in my experience was always pretty much a lie anyway - the city is only multi-cultural with regard to sexuality, gender (a relatively recent addition) and acceptance of weird hobbies, you still don't see many non-white faces about for a major city and - understandably, with tuition fees going mental - it's even more middle-class now than it was when I moved here ten years ago. I'm not sure being accepting of people learning to walk tightropes or spin those fire stick things at the Level is a true example of multi-culturalism.

Lily The Pink was code for supporting Enoch Powell. More Scaffold racism.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 16, 2018, 01:36:28 PM
What context was this in?

Something about an open-door immigration policy no doubt.

MidnightShambler

I don't think I've ever worked with a plasterer who isn't an an alcoholic. Although I'm a painter and decorator and we aren't much better.

Scaffolders aren't all racists. Although they have all been in prison.

Cuellar

The only scaffolder I know (I don't know him) is Welsh fullback/wing Liam Williams who for some reason has the nickname Sanjay, which I can only imagine is a racist thing so that fits.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Jim Morrison wrote light my fire about his time scaffolding.

Buelligan

Quote from: MidnightShambler on November 16, 2018, 03:05:32 PM
I don't think I've ever worked with a plasterer who isn't an an alcoholic.

The best plasterer I ever knew, possibly the best plasterer that ever lived, was a chronic drinker.  Pissed from morning til night but he could make a surface as big as you like, as smooth and perfect as anyone can imagine or wish for.  Just standing there in his kecks, skinny and weathered as a dead stork.  A true great, a true gent, and I am not even joking.

bgmnts

Do bakers or stonemasons tend to be addicted to marijuana?

Buelligan

Nobody's addicted to marijuana.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2018, 04:07:32 PM
The best plasterer I ever knew, possibly the best plasterer that ever lived, was a chronic drinker.  Pissed from morning til night but he could make a surface as big as you like, as smooth and perfect as anyone can imagine or wish for.  Just standing there in his kecks, skinny and weathered as a dead stork.  A true great, a true gent, and I am not even joking.

The plasterer who did up my friend's house wasn't an alcoholic, but he did eat a lot of salt sandwiches. He's dead now.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 16, 2018, 04:13:13 PM
The plasterer who did up my friend's house wasn't an alcoholic, but he did eat a lot of salt sandwiches. He's dead now.

He was an alcoholic. The salt sandwiches were an accompaniment to the flask full of tequila he had with him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Salt Sandwiches ? Quite literally, a foodstuff comprising only two pieces of bread and salt ? Really ?

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 16, 2018, 04:47:45 PM
Salt Sandwiches ? Quite literally, a foodstuff comprising only two pieces of bread and salt ? Really ?

Indeed, and quite a sprinkling of salt at that. I don't think that he had any butter or margarine as well though, so at least he had one on on health.

lebowskibukowski

Salt sandwich update. I have just messaged my friend who confirms there was never butter but apparently the salt was always in French bread, not standard sliced.

thenoise

Posh pink Himalayan salt or the cheap stuff that is full of sand?

thenoise

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on November 16, 2018, 01:49:09 PM
Something about an open-door immigration policy no doubt.

Sell 'them' the door, but keep it locked and don't sell them the key.  That'll show em!

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Cuellar on November 16, 2018, 03:11:05 PM
The only scaffolder I know (I don't know him) is Welsh fullback/wing Liam Williams who for some reason has the nickname Sanjay, which I can only imagine is a racist thing so that fits.

according to the auld interwebz:

QuoteIt was while he was on holiday in Greece as a small boy that another British family reckoned the Saracens-bound star looked like Sanjay Kapoor, the former market trader from Eastenders! The name stuck.

as the kids say, yikes.

dead ringers tho, clearly

Cuellar

Jesus christ.

I wonder if the family who gave him the nickname were scaffolders. Probably.

Brundle-Fly

I once got reprimanded by a concierge in a hotel in Bournemouth. I asked the receptionist if my friend had been in the lobby a minute earlier. She asked me to describe him and I said he was 'a big black geezer'. This old bloke told me I shouldn't use that term on the premises as it was deemed racist and I should have described him as 'a coloured gentleman'. 

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Cuellar on November 16, 2018, 05:07:17 PM
Jesus christ.

I wonder if the family who gave him the nickname were scaffolders. Probably.

this lot, except in blackface

dex

Scaffholders and White Liners (not coke heads, the blokes who paint road markings) two trades that contain absolute nutters.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 16, 2018, 12:42:04 PM
I'm mixed race and a woman recently said to me "Have you been brushed with the tar?" I asked family and friends of this is a racist remark and apparently it is so there we are.

The correct phrasing is 'a touch of the tarbrush', which has alliteration and a bit of rhythm to it.

Happy to help with the racism, alright nice one

My partner's brother had (has) jet black hair and tans easily. His nickname at school was "the bus driver".

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Dog Botherer on November 16, 2018, 05:06:03 PM
according to the auld interwebz:

as the kids say, yikes.

dead ringers tho, clearly

Let's not forget his blacking up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2882692/Wales-international-Liam-Williams-issues-apology-blacked-Wilfried-Bony-fancy-dress-photo.html

Apparently he isn't actually a racist by all accounts just a bit dim, but now we know all scaffolders are racist it all looks a bit sinister

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 16, 2018, 10:06:21 AM
I have just been serving a customer in my shop when one of my regulars, a Nigerian, walked through the door.
I'm not sure even a word was spoken between them before the first chap simply pointed at the second and said "Black Friday".
The fact that he was a week out did nothing to clear the awkwardness from the air.

As long as it's a Friday, the joke still works I think. Not everyone understands the boundaries of this sort of subject, and that's because they're not clear. How harmful is it to notice someone's skin colour and acknowledge it with a pun? Was it said menacingly? I'm trying to imagine feeling offended if I was in a shop in Jamaica, say, over the Christmas period, and I walk in and someone says 'White Christmas'. I think I'd laugh out loud, because it's the acknowledgement of something that we've all noticed internally. Basically we'd be living in a far healthier society if everyone had laughed. If the black chap had replied "More like Black Eye Day," in a mock-menacing manner, that would have been great too, as long as everyone then laughed again and nobody needed to punch anyone.

QuoteWhen the second chap left the customer then proceeded to tell me it was a shame that golliwogs had been taken off jam jars .

True, still not everyone is convinced by the stuff about golliwogs being offensive. But nobody took a vote on it, a handful of activists seemed to take it up as an iconic cause but I'm not sure how many people they represented, how many felt genuinely aggrieved by the unrealistic physical proportions of features on an old jam mascot.

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 16, 2018, 06:54:56 PM
My partner's brother had (has) jet black hair and tans easily. His nickname at school was "the bus driver".

And lived near to an estate where the majority of the residents were of Indian descent. It was apparently referred to locally as "The Reservation". Ah, 70s Wolverhampton.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 16, 2018, 07:29:20 PM
And lived near to an estate where the majority of the residents were of Indian descent. It was apparently referred to locally as "The Reservation". Ah, 70s Wolverhampton.

Langley Green in Crawley was apparently referred to locally as "Langly Desh". Ah, 90s East Grinstead.