Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What stand up have you seen on tv lately?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 17, 2018, 05:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Not a thread for Netflix specials or anything like that as they'll probably deserve their own thread, just stand up you've seen on the normal television channels you get these days.

Live At The BBC - Desiree Burch - I saw Desiree as part of The Dirty Thirty theatre group who put on 30 very short plays in sixty minutes a while back and liked her work a lot, but I just checked out this 30 minute special which originally was shown on the BBC and thought it was really weak. I was surprised, given how much I've heard about her lately I was expecting something pretty decent at the very least but it's fairly bland stuff, and the section on dating / dick pics at the end was borderline open mic material. Ah well, hopefully she'll improve over time but I was surprised that she's already got such a relatively high profile.

Malcy

Nothing really. There isn't that much of it at the moment. I did start watching the BBC stand up show that Fern Brady done. Never heard of her before don't want to again. 5 mins in and gave up. Pain in the arse.

Small Man Big Horse

I've only seen her first show, Male Comedienne, but I liked that a lot. It started off fairly weakly but after a few minutes she won me over, and did a lot of great material about mental illness and people mistaking her for a man.

DrGreggles

Seen her last 2 Fringe shows. I think she's good.
No idea how she comes across on telly.

Sebastian Cobb

Is there anything outside of the usual faces on live at the appollo?

olliebean

Live at the Apollo the other day had someone called Fin Taylor on who I've not seen before, he was quite good I thought.

Sebastian Cobb

Eleanor Tiernan is starting to appear on the News Quiz and supporting Jason Manford, so I hope she appears on more stuff soon. At the same time she's ace as a niche comic.

Clownbaby

I liked Fin Taylor on Live at the Apollo. Not massively impressed by Tez Ilyas who was on the same show and Sophie Taylor, who was actually alright but I'm still not really a fan of her.

Quote from: olliebean on November 17, 2018, 10:31:52 PM
Live at the Apollo the other day had someone called Fin Taylor on who I've not seen before, he was quite good I thought.

Good to see him getting some tv time, his last two Edinburgh shows have been of very high quality. For want of a better phrase, he's 'one to watch'.

Bhazor

One of Big Yin's old standup tv specials from the 80s was on last night. Great stuff but as with all old "An Audience With" the best bit was just going "Oh its him! Cor wasn't he young?". I especially like saying it about people who I don't know and then distracting everyone else for a full minute as they try to work out who I meant.

rasta-spouse

I'd heard a lot of positive stuff for Rob Auton and recently saw him do about 10 minutes on a Comedy Central s/up show. Not good. Like a bad Simon Munnery tribute act.

Small Man Big Horse

I caught an episode of the UK Comedy Central stand up thing recently, Rob Delaney hosts it and does about 5 minutes of stand up, but I have to say I was disappointed by it (as I was when I saw him live at the Leicester Square Theatre last year) he has some decent jokes but a lot of it is laddish and sex based, which surprised as I really enjoyed his book and of course he co-writers the superb Catastrophe. Then Glenn Moore was on, I have a long standing grudge against him as we were on the open mic circuit at the same time and he was an arrogant prick, but I thought I should give him a fair shot and presumed he must have improved a lot considering he was nominated for the main comedy award at this year's Edinburgh Festival. And his first joke was really strong too, so I started to think I must be wrong about him, but then he trotted out five minutes of really tedious fare, I've seen much better on the open mic circuit, and I've no idea how he's become so popular. His final joke was funny too, but that was two laughs out of a set which made me groan a lot. So I no longer feel guilty about slagging him off. Which is nice.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on November 17, 2018, 10:31:52 PM

Pretty refreshing for a British comic on a mainstream platform like that to address those topics without much tiptoeing. His pause before "... I'd shag a man in the pussy" got a hearty laugh out of me. To find comics in this country worth watching, you usually have to look in the crevices, but it was nice to see Fin Taylor get some exposure.

lankyguy95

I found him pretty irritating. He also did a Norm Macdonald joke almost word for word a couple of minutes in.

lankyguy95

8:55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXI2Ng-vllk

1:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6p9AvOnhdQ

Similar statement, same bait and switch, "I can't predict the future".

EDIT: Just found a couple of interviews where he mentions Norm as an influence. Incidentally, in one of them, he mentions a routine he tried out about Hitler's dog, which interestingly enough was the closing bit of Norm's Netflix special. Weird.

up_the_hampipe

It's a small joke that he could have forgotten where he heard it and thought he came up with himself. That does happen. Let's not judge him on one tiny joke in a full set.

lankyguy95

I didn't say he stole it, it just put me off a bit.

It's really an aside from the fact that his performance style's most irritating.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on November 19, 2018, 02:32:20 PM
I didn't say he stole it, it just put me off a bit.

Why would that put you off if you don't think it was stolen?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 18, 2018, 10:43:45 AM
I liked Fin Taylor on Live at the Apollo. Not massively impressed by Tez Ilyas who was on the same show and Sophie Taylor, who was actually alright but I'm still not really a fan of her.

Ellie Taylor you mean? I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not, but there was a routine she did on another Live at the Apollo where the punchline was 'I want to fuck other men' which, predictably, made me feel quite distracted for the rest of the evening.

rasta-spouse

Finn Taylor's much-praised Edinburgh show Whitey McWhiteface is available on bandcamp. He's a transgressive comic (which you hardly ever see on Apollo), but he's transgressive in the most boring way possible, he hits a lot of hot-button topics but takes them exactly nowhere.

He has the look of someone who's about to say something dangerous but really -surprise- it's just a soft fluffy marshmellow on the inside.

lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 19, 2018, 02:37:48 PM
Why would that put you off if you don't think it was stolen?
'Put me off' as in distracted.

Small Man Big Horse

Just watched Matt Ewins Live at the BBC 30 minute special and liked it a lot, felt it ran out of steam a little towards the end but in general it was pretty funny stuff, and I'd definitely go and see him live now, at least if it wasn't too expensive.

Clownbaby

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 19, 2018, 03:20:58 PM
Ellie Taylor you mean? I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not, but there was a routine she did on another Live at the Apollo where the punchline was 'I want to fuck other men' which, predictably, made me feel quite distracted for the rest of the evening.

Oh yeah I always accidentally call her Sophie Taylor.  Shows how much of an impression she leaves on me. There's something unpleasant about her tone, but not in a way that makes me laugh. Sometimes what she says will be funny but I'm not keen on the way she says it

rasta-spouse

Saw a Jonathan Pie stand-up thing on i-player. I haven't heard of him before, who is this guy? He seems to be playing a character, but doesn't seem to be enough of a character to be interesting.

He seems like he'd be right wing because he has "anti-pc" stuff, but then does lazy "Trump is dumb" material. And ends his show saying "in case you think these are my opinons, they're not - I don't mean it" but he's said nothing challenging at all. Stewart Lee also says this in a few of his shows but it makes sense (and is funny) in that case.

For a half-dimensional guy Pie sure can draw in a massive crowd though.

imitationleather

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 20, 2018, 04:18:34 PM
Saw a Jonathan Pie stand-up thing on i-player. I haven't heard of him before, who is this guy? He seems to be playing a character, but doesn't seem to be enough of a character to be interesting.

He seems like he'd be right wing because he has "anti-pc" stuff, but then does lazy "Trump is dumb" material. And ends his show saying "in case you think these are my opinons, they're not - I don't mean it" but he's said nothing challenging at all. Stewart Lee also says this in a few of his shows but it makes sense (and is funny) in that case.

For a half-dimensional guy Pie sure can draw in a massive crowd though.

For a few years he's been doing massively popular videos on YouTube where he's a news presenter who goes on rants. However as you suggest he barely ever veers into anything interesting, and is essentially just shouting a distilled version of all online discourse about politics. I think it's pushing it to even describe him as a comedian.

rasta-spouse

QuoteI think it's pushing it to even describe him as a comedian.

Damn straight. No levels to what he's doing. Really surprised me that someone with no tv presence had such a big crowd in. And they seemed really happy to be there (choice editing I guess).

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 17, 2018, 05:36:54 PM
Not a thread for Netflix specials or anything like that as they'll probably deserve their own thread, just stand up you've seen on the normal television channels you get these days.

Well I'm not starting a new thread for I'm About to Lose Control and I Think Joe Lycett, which I paid a few quid to rent off iTunes.

His popularity is inversely proportional to the quality of his material. He's got them funny bones, but I'm not sure how long he can rely on them to sell out the Hammersmith Apollo - like he does here - when his tall tales about his social media 'trolling' (his choice of language - I'd use 'light ribbing') are as weak as this.

jobotic

Wasn't that on normal TV. I did laugh at the story of his friend (I think) telling his mum, who had just got out of the bath, that he was gay and his mum throwing her towel to the floor and saying "I won't be needing this then".

But that was it.