Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars and Racism.

Started by bgmnts, November 17, 2018, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

If Star Wars is so inclusive, how come they've never cast an actual extraterrestrial lifeform to play an alien?

greenman

Quote from: Bronzy on November 20, 2018, 02:45:54 PM
If Star Wars is so inclusive, how come they've never cast an actual extraterrestrial lifeform to play an alien?

Hayden Christensen seems like an alien trying to play a human though.

Bronzy

Quote from: greenman on November 20, 2018, 02:53:57 PM
Hayden Christensen seems like an alien trying to play a human though.

It's called being Canadian

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bronzy on November 20, 2018, 03:59:48 PM
It's called being Canadian

Nah, it's called being a shit actor(*). 

(*) "actor"

Kelvin

Quote from: greenman on November 20, 2018, 02:04:27 PM
The supposedly forward looking sequels of course have a black actor playing a bubbling comic relief role as well next to a white person with a posh accent.

I think that's a bit cynical. They have a female lead and a black lead. If the roles were reversed, you could bemoan casting a woman in a bumbling role.

At some point you have to accept that if we want minorities to play high profile roles (and if course, any sane person would), often those charachters will have significant character flaws that are not related to that minority. In fact , Finn is not significantly more bumbling than Han Solo - which was clearly his biggest inspiration. If anything, the problem is that Rey, as written, is too able, rather than Finn being too crap.

Mister Six

Yeah it's not a problem of denigrating Finn, who's a well-fleshed-out, fallible (in a compelling way) yet heroic character. It's more of a problem of Rey being implausibly flawless. Perhaps an unconscious belief among its liberal Hollywood screenwriters that women have even fewer mainstream heroes than black men, and so need a bit more help in that regard.

Sadly it makes Rey utterly boring, one-dimensional and slightly patronising towards women audiences. Film Freak Central's usually impeccable Walter Chaw hates the claims that she's a Mary Sue even though she clearly fucking is.

monolith

Rey is shitter than Jar Jar. At least he was memorable.

Rey was good in The Force Awakens but terrible in The Last Jedi.

Bronzy

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on November 20, 2018, 06:00:14 PM
I think that's a bit cynical. They have a female lead and a black lead. If the roles were reversed, you could bemoan casting a woman in a bumbling role.

At some point you have to accept that if we want minorities to play high profile roles (and if course, any sane person would), often those charachters will have significant character flaws that are not related to that minority. In fact , Finn is not significantly more bumbling than Han Solo - which was clearly his biggest inspiration. If anything, the problem is that Rey, as written, is too able, rather than Finn being too crap.

The roles being as they are though isn't any coincidence I'd say, its targeted for maximum appeal and yes I think Finn is vastly more bumbling than Han Solo and vastly less witty. Really the character is just your standard comedy sidekick who finds his courage ala say Rob Schneider in Judge Dread I'd say and in Rey's case you have a character largely free of any significant flaw rendering her pretty dull to the degree its actually characters like Han and Luke that end up driving the drama of the climaxs in both sequels.

Kelvin

But I don't believe that's consciously or unconsciously linked to Finn's race. I believe they wrote the charachter and cast a black man, and that the charachter would be unchanged with a white actor instead.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bronzy on November 20, 2018, 10:51:02 PM
How dare you

Sorry Hayden.

You are a shit actor, though.  Even in your best film as star - Shattered Glass - you're far and away the worst thing in it.

"Actor".

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on November 20, 2018, 07:12:14 PM
Sadly it makes Rey utterly boring, one-dimensional and slightly patronising

Yes, completely agreed. Said this loads at this point already, so apologies for being a boring bastard, but: she's so fucking nicey-nice Oxbridge. She's an orphan scavenger. She should be scrappy and half-feral. There's no sense of danger to her whatsoever. You don't worry for a moment that she might go to the dark side.

Bronzy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 21, 2018, 01:54:41 PM
Sorry Hayden.

You are a shit actor, though.  Even in your best film as star - Shattered Glass - you're far and away the worst thing in it.

"Actor".

Don't talk about my dad like that

garnish

Quote from: popcorn on November 21, 2018, 03:32:36 PM
Yes, completely agreed. Said this loads at this point already, so apologies for being a boring bastard, but: she's so fucking nicey-nice Oxbridge. She's an orphan scavenger. She should be scrappy and half-feral. There's no sense of danger to her whatsoever. You don't worry for a moment that she might go to the dark side.

When you look at her character and Natalie Portman's in the last series, makes you think how George Lucas ever managed to write a good one like Princess Leia.

"Makes you think"

greenman

The end result as well is that despite nominally being the lead characters the climax of both films isn't really about her as there's fuck all to work with.

mobias

A far more blatantly racist film is Lord of the Rings. Not only are all the bad guys black but they're also cockney.

mothman

Mister Six

I heartily agree.

Pdine

No one thought the Jawas were a little suspicious? Little space niblungen with Yiddische horn music accompaniment and an obsession with commerce?

I'm not sure we're really supposed to care that much. She's a good, force sensitive person, following that bland, safe Jedi road.

The real central character is Kylo Ren.

popcorn

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 27, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
I'm not sure we're really supposed to care that much. She's a good, force sensitive person, following that bland, safe Jedi road.

The real central character is Kylo Ren.

Kylo is absolutely the most interesting character in the new films. People knock TFA for being derivative, but I think Kylo alone made it fresh.

But there's no reason why Rey couldn't also be a complex, interesting character. Why not? Why would you ever want your characters to be bland?