Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

Quote from: manticore on January 04, 2019, 02:09:27 PM
Humbug! The BBC writes back:

"Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us regarding our recent News coverage. We note that you feel that there has been insufficient coverage on the issue of climate change.

To allow us to reply promptly to your concerns, and to ensure we use our Licence fee resources as efficiently as possible, we're sending this response to everyone. We're sorry that for this reason we can't reply personally to you on each point which has been made.

We have extensively covered findings from the IPCC report published in October, and have reported on the key developments from the UN climate talks that have recently taken place in Poland. In addition, over the last month we have reported on a range of wider climate change stories including new NASA data on the melting of Antarctic ice; a report on a reduction in electricity consumption in British homes and a study on the impact of rising global temperatures on summer heatwaves in the UK. We also published a new online calculator to help people understand the carbon footprint of their diet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46459714

To read our latest News on the issue of climate change you may be interested in the following link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmj34zmwm1zt/climate-change

The BBC has a proud record of leading the way in sustainability in the media industry and we've set out further action including cutting energy use further, eradicating single use plastic and minimising the impact of necessary travel. In the last Charter period, we reduced our carbon footprint by a third. People can also see the clear impact programmes like Blue Planet II and Dynasties have had on public debate about the impact of humankind on the planet.

We can assure you that the BBC is committed to providing fair and impartial coverage of the latest News stories to our audience, and climate change is an issue that the BBC takes very seriously.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints"

--------------------------------------------

Same generic/ mass email I received I'm afraid to say. I guess I don't know what else I was expecting...

manticore

It is what the BBC do in response to nearly all complaints though, standard PR for a large corporation. The other side of it is that virtually every day when I listen to the World Service at night or in the morning there's a a report on some aspect of global warming or the ecological crisis. I don't watch television or listen to domestic radio so I don't know how well it's reflected there. The News website front page is not so good certainly.

The thing is to keep the pressure going.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dear xxxxxxxx

As you will see below, you are wrong and we are right.

Cheers

Kind regards,

The BBC

Noonling

A whole bunch of remote volunteering roles are here, for those who don't live somewhere convenient to go to active protests:

https://rebellion.earth/volunteer/

I swear I looked at that page before and there were just one or two, now there's loads of different positions available!

chveik

wonderful article about the ethical conondrums that go with the perspective of our extinction

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/acd/re/k-rsc/lcs/kiyou/pdf_28-1/RitsIILCS_28.1pp.203-215CASTEL.pdf

garbed_attic

Quote from: chveik on January 10, 2019, 04:55:54 PM
wonderful article about the ethical conondrums that go with the perspective of our extinction

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/acd/re/k-rsc/lcs/kiyou/pdf_28-1/RitsIILCS_28.1pp.203-215CASTEL.pdf

Yeh this is pretty frikkin' excellent and could be usefully paired with either Ligotti's 'Conspiracy Against the Human Race' or Camus' 'The Myth of Sisyphus' depending on whether one wishes to read Castel's paper in a nihilistic or affirmative light. Blodders, I think it'd be worth your making time to read it! Thank you chveik.

It does however strike me that the intellectual figures, scientists, bloggers and regular folk of Twitter to embrace this particular form of eschatological fatalism tend to be white American/European (often French or German) blokes and question whether this is because on some level they are still facing the question of human extinction in the abstract rather on the level of real embodied suffering. Would Privo Levi or Frederick Douglas ever have held such a view? (I guess the point I'm making is similar to the argument that it is easy for white atheist bros to denounce faith because they've not experienced the need for it.)

Basically, I think it's an excellent paper, but I'm a bit suspicious of any guy with a taste for both de Sade and Lacan!

Finally, reading it reaffirmed my opinion that Twin Peaks: The Return is the greatest piece of popular art produced in the 21st century thus far partly because Lynch and Frost take eschatological Evil seriously and understand this (at a semi-mythic semi-literal level) as having been birthed with Hiroshima!

chveik

Quote from: gout_pony on January 11, 2019, 12:33:48 AM
It does however strike me that the intellectual figures, scientists, bloggers and regular folk of Twitter to embrace this particular form of eschatological fatalism tend to be white American/European (often French or German) blokes and question whether this is because on some level they are still facing the question of human extinction in the abstract rather on the level of real embodied suffering. Would Privo Levi or Frederick Douglas ever have held such a view? (I guess the point I'm making is similar to the argument that it is easy for white atheist bros to denounce faith because they've not experienced the need for it.)

that's a very good point. however, I think most of them have in mind the sufferings that their view entails, one way or another. I don't despise faith but yeah, being a white atheist from a western country, I'm more determined to embrace this form of eschatology, as you put it. still, I like to think that (this sort of) philosophy can help us confront ourselves with humanity's extinction (I don't know if it will when the shit hits the fan though).

Basically, I think it's an excellent paper, but I'm a bit suspicious of any guy with a taste for both de Sade and Lacan!

hehe. for a french scholar, it's not really a peculiar taste though.

edit: have you seen The Leftovers? it's fantastic, and it becomes even more impressive when you have these problems in mind.

bgmnts

How does anyone genuinely immerse themselves in this lifestyle, campaigning, volunteering their time, protesting etc without becoming insanely depressed at the idea that hardly anyone cares or is willing to put in any effort to change things?

What keeps these people going? I have so much respect for them basically picking up the slack of the rest of us and fruitlessly giving up so much.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on January 11, 2019, 02:02:04 AM
How does anyone genuinely immerse themselves in this lifestyle, campaigning, volunteering their time, protesting etc without becoming insanely depressed at the idea that hardly anyone cares or is willing to put in any effort to change things?

What keeps these people going? I have so much respect for them basically picking up the slack of the rest of us and fruitlessly giving up so much.

I really don't know. I suppose it takes a lot of strenght, I have experienced a deep depression myself (partly) because of that, and I'm not even a particulary persevering political activist.

garbed_attic

Quote from: chveik on January 11, 2019, 01:57:07 AM
edit: have you seen The Leftovers? it's fantastic, and it becomes even more impressive when you have these problems in mind.

Oooh I haven't and now will try to make time to do so. Thanks again.

garbed_attic

The only article about ice I've ever read that made me feel physical pressure from resisting my desire to scream!
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/08/when-the-ice-melts-the-catastrophe-of-vanishing-glaciers

garbed_attic

Brought my leaflets to Unitarian meeting, but no takers - most people just don't take it as a big concern, it seems. My dad says humanity survived WWII so it'll survive this and my gloominess doesn't help anything. Ho hum.

garnish

Reckon they should be protesting BBC, ITV, Sky and Channel 4 instead of Downing Street, those fuckers holding us back just as much.

garbed_attic

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/extinction-rebellion-london-spray-1800-litres-of-fake-blood-on-treasury-building-in-westminster-a4253001.html

This reminds me of the sketch from Jam in which Mark Heap jumps into the thresher and sprays his blood at his ex-lover's window

idunnosomename

god they're crossing the line for me now from "important radical movement at a critical moment in world history" into "a load of silly, annoying hippies who cant hold on to a hose properly"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 03, 2019, 01:52:29 PM
Laboured point taken but did they clean that mess up afterwards?

Presumably the council came round and sprayed it off with a load of aggressive street cleaning chemicals that all went down the drains.

garbed_attic

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 03, 2019, 01:57:09 PM
god they're crossing the line for me now from "important radical movement at a critical moment in world history" into "a load of silly, annoying hippies who cant hold on to a hose properly"

One of the inevitable problems with a pretty decentralised organisation is that different local groups will do things that others might disagree with... Of course, in some cases this leads to splinter groups like 'Heathrow Pause', though the media (fairly understandably) doesn't tend to lead with those distinctions

poo

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 03, 2019, 01:57:09 PM

100 year old building - BBC FUCKS

Fambo Number Mive

How did they get hold of an old fire engine?

Also, is it fake blood, dye or paint? The story isn't clear.

phes

It's water and beetroot dye I think

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 03, 2019, 02:48:57 PM
100 year old building - BBC FUCKS
fucking hell 100 years old!!! whoever heard of such a thing

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gout_pony on October 03, 2019, 02:19:16 PM
One of the inevitable problems with a pretty decentralised organisation is that different local groups will do things that others might disagree with... Of course, in some cases this leads to splinter groups like 'Heathrow Pause', though the media (fairly understandably) doesn't tend to lead with those distinctions
Allows you to conveniently other anything that proves unpopular I suppose.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The huge pool of red liquid on the pavement makes it look like one of them suicide bombed in front of the building.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 03, 2019, 03:10:14 PM
Allows you to conveniently other anything that proves unpopular I suppose.

Should Momentum be held responsible for the views and actions of Blue Labour or vice versa?

garbed_attic

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 03, 2019, 03:11:23 PM
The huge pool of red liquid on the pavement makes it look like one of them suicide bombed in front of the building.

While XR is non-violent, I do wonder if the sacrificial element of the cause and rhetoric will lead to self-immolations... however there have been several in recent years and, unlike in the past, they nowadays don't seem to galvanize public sympathy or action.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/15/david-buckel-lawyer-climate-change-protest

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gout_pony on October 03, 2019, 03:22:29 PM
Should Momentum be held responsible for the views and actions of Momentum or vice versa?

Yes.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 03, 2019, 03:41:19 PM
Yes.

heh I meant to include a different Labour think tank... i.e. Should Momentum be held responsible for the views and actions of Blue Labour or vice versa?

My point is, XR is a lot more de-centralised that the media tends to paint us. Really if someone abides by XR principles, does an action, and accounts themselves as a representative of XR, then they are. Individuals are still responsible for their actions however.