Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

I think he meant cocked up. As in he had his cock up somthing in the pub.  Anarchism.

garbed_attic

I was there (Waterloo bridge specifically) adding to the body count for a couple of hours. It was fascinating being at a protest which included both rationalist environmental scientists quoting stats and wicca hippies talking about cosmic energy!

MoonDust

Quote from: flotemysost on November 18, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
Then he's a bit of a hypocrite surely?

I thought that too.

Good to hear, gout_pony.

I must admit when I first heard of the event a couple of weeks ago I considered flying up to London but that would have felt hypocritical. Using an Airbus to attend an environmental protest. Hmmm.

I think the group is here in Germany and I think there's something planned in Berlin soon.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2018, 11:12:25 PM
Planet is fucked within my generation (I'm 32), basically anyone who has had a kid is a short-sighted moron or selfish.

But what if your kid grows up and finds/pioneers a clean source of energy and saves the planet? Looked at like that, you can't risk NOT having children.

New Jack

Oh man, I wouldn't want that. Living vicariously is saaa-aaad!

Buelligan

Quote from: MoonDust on November 19, 2018, 05:33:54 AM
I must admit when I first heard of the event a couple of weeks ago I considered flying up to London but that would have felt hypocritical. Using an Airbus to attend an environmental protest. Hmmm.

Or using an Airbus at all.  And that's the problem.  All the humans just think that their little bit is sustainable (even if they don't think about it or care, this is almost universally true because, if they believed their little bit was unsustainable - and meant death to the planet - the overwhelming majority would desist immediately.  Because they love themselves and their own lives.

I was walking home, Friday night I think it was, around midnight, up a deserted valley and the moon was there and the stars, empty and beautiful and I thought to myself, the sooner every single member of my moronic species is cleaned of the surface of this suffering beautiful globe, the better.  I sent up a little prayer.

Mr_Simnock

Quotethe sooner every single member of my moronic species is cleaned of the surface of this suffering beautiful globe, the better.  I sent up a little prayer.

You could always help this along and just top yourself you now, every little helps. The rest of left can then get on with solving the issues of sustainablity and find away to exist within the means of the planet (which we most certainly can)

Buelligan

I have considered it but I'd never want you to think that your ill-considered desire to offend me or anyone else whose scribbled shadow flits briefly across the opaque backcloth that is your mind, had had more serious consequences than you'd been able to imagine.

Nevertheless, your comments and the way you express them, confirm to me my original sentiment.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 19, 2018, 10:49:04 AM
and I thought to myself, the sooner every single member of my moronic species is cleaned of the surface of this suffering beautiful globe, the better.  I sent up a little prayer.

Prayers aren't going to do anything. The only surefire solution is to take this "cleaning" into your own hands and start randomly murdering people.

New Jack

Hey, I pray every night

I also hit the little button when my computer crashes that says Tell Microsoft About This Problem

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 19, 2018, 01:59:44 PM
You could always help this along and just top yourself you now, every little helps. The rest of left can then get on with solving the issues of sustainablity and find away to exist within the means of the planet (which we most certainly can)

Oooft. Not nice.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: MoonDust on November 19, 2018, 05:33:54 AM
I thought that too

Yeah well, y'know. Hypocrites everywhere, to be honest. We all doing what we can, although a lot of folk just do what they want.

Shit Good Nose

I keep saying it again and again - as long as the main two elephants in the room (population and fresh clean water) continue to be completely ignored, no amount of climate change avoidance will make a blind bit of difference.

Although we only have about 12 years left to reverse it, the actual major events related to climate change won't be felt by large parts of the world for another 80 or so years.

There's about 150 years of fossil fuels left, based on current usage.

I think there's about 60 harvests left based on current consumption and farming practices.

We've got about 25 years tops before the earth's population causes irreversible catastrophic problems for most of the planet, and clean water will cease to be an easy commodity to come by within about 20 years.  We WILL be fighting wars over drinking water within most of our lifetimes as we're fighting wars over oil now.

But no one (I'm referring to world leaders and scientists) talks about population and no one talks about water - Catholics and chavs pump out 10 kids a year and nothing will change that, and there are increasing thirsty mouths using up decreasing water.

Specifically about climate change, you also have the major issue of developing countries like India and China, and within parts of Africa, who have an enormous and increasing reliance on coal as they're at a point where the West was years ago, and anything we do in the West counts for nothing unless they all jump on board as well.  But they're unlikely to as they're not first world countries and there are still axes to grind between world leaders.

Sorry to say it, but we are absolutely fucked and there's fuck all we can do about it.  Buelligan is right - the only way to save the planet is to wipe out every human being on it in one fell swoop.

Also, Simnock - uncalled for I think...

gilbertharding

Yeah - unfortunately all the 'solutions' proposed by people in the West are 'hey! Maybe we can CONSUME our way out of this mess!' and all the while outsourcing most of our pollution to China and places where our stuff is made. 'Go to Mars!' Fuck OFF.

It's the population explosion which is causing all this. Luckily the imminent wars, famines and diseases will fix this.

Who knows, perhaps there'll be the massive global thermonuclear war we've been promised for the last 70 years. It won't kill everything - whatever's left will have a clean slate from which to evolve.

New Jack

We fucked our way into this, and by God, we will fuck our way out

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 19, 2018, 03:39:14 PM
whatever's left will have a clean slate from which to evolve.

As well as the oozing boils.

I'm thinking the survivors will be walking around like Emil AFTER his meeting with the toxic waste.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: New Jack on November 19, 2018, 03:43:45 PM
We fucked our way into this, and by God, we will fuck our way out

You FOOL!  We already said shagging is just making it worse!

GAW!!!!!

Captain Z

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 19, 2018, 03:45:54 PM

I'm thinking the survivors will be walking around like Emil AFTER his meeting with the toxic waste.

Yeah I was going to say, a nice, clean, highly radioactive slate.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 19, 2018, 03:45:54 PM

I wasn't thinking 'who', more 'what'. It's going to be a whole new ball game.

The planet's been here 4500 million years or something, and humans have only been here for 2 million years at most.

manticore

I do feel strongly that all the humans should be purged from the planet like the vermin and parasites they patently are. They are life unworthy of life and the process should be begun as soon as possible.

I include in this every suffering child, every peasant doing their back breaking work in the fields, every carer looking after their elderly parent day and night for no reward - all of them, their end can't be hastened soon enough.

Hey no, leave me alone, I say this out of love, so please don't include me in all this. It's not me - it's the others.

New Jack

I'm pretty sound, but if everyone is going I'm happy to come with

Buelligan

Quote from: manticore on November 19, 2018, 04:12:55 PM
I do feel strongly that all the humans should be purged from the planet like the vermin and parasites they patently are. They are life unworthy of life and the process should be begun as soon as possible.

I include in this every suffering child, every peasant doing their back breaking work in the fields, every carer looking after their elderly parent day and night for no reward - all of them, their end can't be hastened soon enough.

Hey no, leave me alone, I say this out of love, so please don't include me in all this. It's not me - it's the others.

No one (almost no one) wants to wipe out the human race but that doesn't stop most reasonable people from acknowledging the obvious. 

It is obviously true that human existence is destroying its own home planet.  And that does mean all of us.  Including us. 

I suppose those fellows that hang about in the most remote parts of distant rainforests, the ones we don't even know exist, they can get a free pass.  The rest of us though are for the oubliette, unless you think it would be preferable to set up some kind of tribunal to select the 0.0001%, still quite a number, who deserve to continue (as long as they obey the rules, don't reproduce and don't get old or sick).

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves why we deserve to continue existing, fucking everything up, at the expense of those lads we don't even know about in the rainforest somewhere.

jobotic

When I look at my kids I do just see evil little fuckers who are here to destroy the world and I feel deep deep shame for bringing into this world and i'd like to apologise to you all. The sooner they die the better eh?

Mr_Simnock

QuoteAlso, Simnock - uncalled for I think...

That was a joke, someone wishing the human race gone helping their own cause, sorry I caused offence.

QuoteI have considered it but I'd never want you to think that your ill-considered desire to offend me or anyone else whose scribbled shadow flits briefly across the opaque backcloth that is your mind, had had more serious consequences than you'd been able to imagine.

could be wose, my mind could be so dark it prays for the end of the human race. #selfawareness

Shit Good Nose

Acknowledging the human race is responsible for the problems and wiping it out totally is the only true resolution is not the same as suggesting to an individual that they kill themselves.

gilbertharding

In case it's my 'bring on the nuclear winter' shtick that's provoking some people - It's not what would happen in an ideal world. Neither is it what I'd want to happen.

Perhaps in an ideal world we'd never have come down from the trees...

In an ideal world humanity will survive by taking sensible measures to reduce consumption of the earth's resources, by about 50% - and do so in a way that the inevitable pain is borne by the people who are most culpable for the mess, as opposed to the usual poor buggers who are always fucked.

Take a look around though: it's not an ideal world, is it?