Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on October 17, 2019, 09:22:07 AM
you're more than welcome to make personal attacks against me

Oh,ok.You're a boring cunt, and very easy to ignore most of the time.Hope you're enjoying your gloat over the idiocy of that protestor's counterproductive behaviour. CR have distanced themselves from the behavior of that particular faction.
How do you know that eejit who got dragged from the top of the train was middle class , btw?

DrGreggles

There was a similar disruptive protest in Cambridge a few months ago where they blocked off a main road.
I have no issue with peaceful protests generally, but this was Hills Road and (if you don't know 'The Bridge') that leads directly to the very large and very busy NHS hospital that I work at.
I pointed this out on Twitter to one of them and his only response was that "we're letting ambulances through" and "it's meant to be disruptive - that's the point!". His lack of awareness or care of how this was affecting the doctors and nurses trying to get to work or the patients trying to get to their appointments was pretty depressing. Numerous operations were cancelled and postponed that day, and the ambulances were still delayed due to having to navigate their way through the backlog of traffic.
Can anyone explain to me how blocking a main road en route to a hospital is considered a worthy target? The council offices are less than a mile away - protest there!

I guess, like a tube station, a hospital has a large public audience which will help it get the protest in the news.

BlodwynPig

Its out of order not letting doctors through to save lives of people who will inevitably die in the coming apocalypse

idunnosomename

Oh how I wish I was working class
living in a dustbin and gnawing on bones
I'd drink from the drains, sing moronic refrains
oh what a life that would be

Neomod

Canning Town was defo working class 10 years ago when I took this.

I also lived on an estate in Dalston and it was like the wild west.

Kryton

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 07:57:47 AM
This is fucking terrifying:

https://twitter.com/hollyjocollins/status/1184713537232556032?s=21

Bleating tossers in the replies gleefully cheering on violent mob justice.

Well to be fair those people on the train are just normal people trying to get home to their kids, families, hospital appointments, and a million other things.
I'm sympathetic to XR but he's chosen the wrong people to protest against. He should be smashing his way into Parliament or something, instead of ruining normal poor people's day. And it does have a knock on effect to all other following trains/tubes. I mean I CAN see the point of everyday disruption. But at the same time I'd probably be annoyed if some posh twat in a suit delayed my train.

And he did kick some bloke in the head first, no wonder he got a bit of a duffing up from the pissed off commuters.

Kryton

XR should be working with the working class public and not against them. All this is going to breed is resentment and further class division. Nobody is going to support some posh hippies when Joe Public can't get home to their children or they lose money at work or they can't get to vital appointments at the hospital or whatever, they're just going to get angry. London is stressful enough without someone gluing themselves to your train and forcing you to find an alternative way home or getting sacked for being late for work.

An own goal I'd say.

Buelligan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 17, 2019, 11:33:58 AM
I guess, like a tube station, a hospital has a large public audience which will help it get the protest in the news.

I agree.  I mean, look at the BBC, have they covered the arrest of George Monbiot (No they have not)?  Did they cover the XR occupation of their own building (BBC, your silence is deadly), no, they did not.

Did they cover the "vandalism" of one of the chalk white horses (omitting to remember that this "vandalism" consisted of placing tshirts on the site but remembering to give several paragraphs to the hand-wringing concerned but unnamed "teacher" so worried about how children in the area would feel about their white horse being horrifically vandalised), yes, they did. 

phes

Its a really ill informed action, no doubt about it. Some of the locations for street demonstrations have definitely been questionable but given the level of cooperation between XR and the public sector I can let that slide. But unanounced at a busy and fraught, diverse underground stop is just an absolute PR nightmare. And kicking out at a member of the public will ultimately justify the disgusting group violence that followed. I feared this round of protests would involve violence but didn't expect it to be so silly and damaging for XR

Kryton

Quote from: phes on October 17, 2019, 12:39:45 PM
Its a really ill informed action, no doubt about it. Some of the locations for street demonstrations have definitely been questionable but given the level of cooperation between XR and the public sector I can let that slide. But unanounced at a busy and fraught, diverse underground stop is just an absolute PR nightmare. And kicking out at a member of the public will ultimately justify the disgusting group violence that followed. I feared this round of protests would involve violence but didn't expect it to be so silly and damaging for XR

Agreed.

I don't think they should be aiming to protest anywhere near hospitals either. They make their point ANYWHERE else in London, but in dangerous congested tube stations and and blocking people from seeing dying relatives and sick people in hospital is a big no no from me.

Someone is going to end up seriously injured and it's just going to backfire against them if they keep up this stuff.

Blumf

Well, hopefully this'll be useful to point out to anyone else planning to do a similar stupidly counterproductive protests.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kryton on October 17, 2019, 12:19:37 PM
Well to be fair those people on the train are just normal people trying to get home to their kids, families, hospital appointments, and a million other things.
I'm sympathetic to XR but he's chosen the wrong people to protest against. He should be smashing his way into Parliament or something, instead of ruining normal poor people's day. And it does have a knock on effect to all other following trains/tubes. I mean I CAN see the point of everyday disruption. But at the same time I'd probably be annoyed if some posh twat in a suit delayed my train.

And he did kick some bloke in the head first, no wonder he got a bit of a duffing up from the pissed off commuters.

'To be fair', they responded to being delayed on their journey by turning as a mob and beating a man senseless. These are people who usually respond to delays imposed on them by poor management and profiteering with a wry shrug.

You can't what-about-the-kids that away. Why are people defending mob violence?

Paul Calf

Krystallnacht:

"Well, I can't defend the violence obviously, but their prices are ridiculously high. If you will profiteer in such a way, taking bread out of the mouths of innocent children you can understand why people would react."

The clearing of the Warsaw Ghetto:

"It's wrong to inflict violence on people and their property, but did you see the filth and squalor they kept their children in...?"

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Wouldn't be bothered if this lot delayed my route to work. How eager do you have to be about working to get pissed off about a minor delay?

Would kick off if I was on my way to the airport mind.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought Ash Sarkar summed it up well. Very similar to what Fambo was saying.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1184716998007279616?s=19

Icehaven

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on October 17, 2019, 01:09:33 PM
Wouldn't be bothered if this lot delayed my route to work. How eager do you have to be about working to get pissed off about a minor delay?

Would kick off if I was on my way to the airport mind.

If I worked in London I think I'd have been late for work rather a lot recently, particularly if my transport stops were even remotely anywhere near an XR protest. Worth a shot! (And yes I'm aware I'm being facetious here, but that's because it's here.)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2019, 01:19:48 PM
I thought Ash Sarkar summed it up well. Very similar to what Fambo was saying.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1184716998007279616?s=19

Broadly, yes - but the 'Working Class' bit is overcooked (unless she means 'anyone who works for someone else in order to earn money to live' - which is not unreasonable). Probably everyone there had a job they had to be at, and was by definition using public transport to get there.

Sebastian Cobb

Also I'm hearing XR held a vote against the tube action but people did it anyway.

Kryton

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 12:56:42 PM
'To be fair', they responded to being delayed on their journey by turning as a mob and beating a man senseless. These are people who usually respond to delays imposed on them by poor management and profiteering with a wry shrug.

The bloke on the train booted some guy in the face. You think that may have had something to do with it? Funny how you're not mentioning that part.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 17, 2019, 01:24:17 PM
Broadly, yes - but the 'Working Class' bit is overcooked (unless she means 'anyone who works for someone else in order to earn money to live' - which is not unreasonable). Probably everyone there had a job they had to be at, and was by definition using public transport to get there.

I think it's probably shorthand for people not priveleged enough to be able to lose pay or their jobs for matters outwith their hands. Pretty sure anyone able to go 'not coming some cunt's standing on my train' and then go back to bed would. I would.

phes

72% apparently voted against any tube action whatsoever.

And yeah, he was obviously feeling very threatened by all the snack related missiles and abuse but there's no escaping the fact that he kicked that guy in the face and that is likely what precipitated a beating rather than just getting detained

Dr Rock

I don't get why any would vote for action against public transport.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 12:56:42 PM

No-one is defending the assault on the activist. The people who attacked the XR protestor were disgusting and should be jailed. Most commuters did not take part in the assault, some probably weren't aware of it and some actively tried to prevent it. I don't know what else people can do when there are delays on the Underground due to "poor management and profiteering".

What is their goal anyway?  to force the government's hand into action?  Annoying the general public isn't going to achieve much, apart from pissing off the general public.  Seems like a daft strategy to me. 

bgmnts

Well protesting rich cunts or the politicians does nothing.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on October 17, 2019, 01:54:21 PM
Well protesting rich cunts or the politicians does nothing.

Oh, so protesting fellow members of the British Public is the logical thing to do, then. From that point it's logical to move on to protesting to household pets, take a dump in your cat's litter tray, that kinda thing.

bgmnts

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Wilf Lunn.I've never much liked him, with his pre- hipster moustache and daft inventions, and what have you.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kryton on October 17, 2019, 01:33:04 PM
The bloke on the train booted some guy in the face. You think that may have had something to do with it? Funny how you're not mentioning that part.

In self defence, in response to someone trying to drag him off the top of the train.

Funny you didn't mention that.