Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 17, 2019, 01:46:31 PM
No-one is defending the assault on the activist.

Yes, they are. Both on here and in the wider world. Some people on Twitter are visibly aroused by it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 02:03:24 PM
In self defence, in response to someone trying to drag him off the top of the train.

That's really not much of a defence. If he'd just allowed himself to get dragged off he might have got less of a twatting and it wouldn't have reflected quite as badly on XR.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 12:56:42 PM
'To be fair', they responded to being delayed on their journey by turning as a mob and beating a man senseless. These are people who usually respond to delays imposed on them by poor management and profiteering with a wry shrug.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

You can bet your life that if the same crowd were confronted with an actual verifiable person who was definitely responsible for the chronic poor management and profiteering at the precise moment of maximum anger, they too would attempt to kick them to death then string up the bloody remains by the knackers.

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 02:04:38 PM
Yes, they are. Both on here and in the wider world. Some people on Twitter are visibly aroused by it.

Nobody here is doing that. At all.

phes

In self defence, in response to someone trying to drag him off the top of the train.

Funny you didn't mention that.

It really looks more like he approaches him and tries to kick him from the train

Kryton

Funny you didn't mention that.

Yeah he was on top of the train disrupting a few hundred people. I'm not sure how why you find it so difficult to understand why it might annoy everyone trying to use that public transport that they've paid for.

How do you feel about hospitals getting disrupted. Are you all for that or against it?

Kryton

And on Youtube too. Some of the comments are disturbing there's no doubt about that.

royce coolidge

Quote from: Kryton on October 17, 2019, 03:06:33 PM
Yeah he was on top of the train disrupting a few hundred people. I'm not sure how why you find it so difficult to understand why it might annoy everyone trying to use that public transport that they've paid for.

How do you feel about hospitals getting disrupted. Are you all for that or against it?

Paul Calf is all for recommendations for his short break to New York.
Like most of us he is a fucking hypocrite.

Buelligan

What I'm taking from this most, I think, is that when someone in your house shouts fire, the most pressing issue is to debate whether they shouted it in a nice way.

No one's (very few people) denying the house is burning.  Most aren't even that worried, they're just thinking about what's for tea and who'll win Strickly.

Jolly good.

Only difference being, of course, you can't leave this house.

gilbertharding

Quote from: royce coolidge on October 17, 2019, 03:11:45 PM

Paul Calf is all for recommendations for his short break to New York.
Like most of us he is a fucking hypocrite.

We're all hypocrites. Someone defined the difference: If you know you are a hypocrite and are trying to improve things (even slightly), against someone who can only see the hypocrisy in others and won't admit their own failings.

Buelligan

Also, whether anyone's a hypocrite or not is fucking irrelevant to the issue at hand which is saving every life on Earth.  Slightly more pressing, I think.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on October 17, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
What I'm taking from this most, I think, is that when someone in your house shouts fire, the most pressing issue is to debate whether they shouted it in a nice way.

I think it's more like, if inside 1 Extinction Rebellion Street, one of the residents jumps up and shouts "Look at meeeee!", pulls his pants down and shits in the middle of the living room floor. Then the rest of the residents go "Oh for fucks sake, we were going to invite the general public round but now we've got to spend valuable time cleaning your mess!", and the first resident just proudly grins and rolls around in his own shit. Later on, the landlord, Mr Establishment, comes round and threatens to throw them all out.

It's like deffo that.

Sebastian Cobb

I think someone should cut all the electric and comms cables into the house, that way people can't watch telly or contact the fire brigade and everyone will be aware of the fire.

BlodwynPig

gilbertharding

Quote from: Buelligan on October 17, 2019, 03:31:07 PM
Also, whether anyone's a hypocrite or not is fucking irrelevant to the issue at hand which is saving every life on Earth.  Slightly more pressing, I think.

Well, yes. But the 'hypocrite' gambit is used by the powerful to allow the gullible to think that nothing needs to be done.

Also, I think it should be fairly clear by now that the Earth is going to boil because no-one wants to give up what they think of as their lifestyle, and humanity as we know it will fight itself into oblivion. It looks bleak for us, but the planet (and a handful of us) will survive, and once we're reduced to a manageable population, thrive.

Buelligan

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 17, 2019, 03:40:09 PM
Well, yes. But the 'hypocrite' gambit is used by the powerful to allow the gullible to think that nothing needs to be done.

I agree, it's constantly either look at this hypocrite (yes, we know you are too and if you stand up to be counted, we'll shame you and your loved ones publicly) or these people are not like us (they're middle class, they're hippies, they're fascists, they're drug-users, they're dancers, they're certainly other) or look at how irresponsible, criminal, antisocial, dirty, irritating, inappropriate these people are, what a disgrace.  Which all boils down to DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MESSAGE, KEEP CONSUMING, KEEP QUIET.

phes

Violence hardly surprising when actual MP outright condone mob beatings

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Ellwood/status/1184750007574024193?s=19

I mean, I dare say he mightn't have seen the other video where you can clearly see several people beating a man on the floor. But really, wtf is wrong with our politics when we have MPs publically condoning vigilante beatings to 50K followers on twitter

garbed_attic

Indeed - a lot of support in various comments sections and calls for more.

The thing that troubles me most is that if people are currently so keen to resort to violence in the face of irritation and ideological difference (and I say that as an XR member who also thinks that actions targeting the tube are ill-advised at best) is how bad things'll soon get after this month, let alone in ten years.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 17, 2019, 10:24:34 AM
How do you know that eejit who got dragged from the top of the train was middle class , btw?

is this a genuine question?

Quote from: Buelligan on October 17, 2019, 03:31:07 PM

There is a difference between disagreeing with XR's methods and disagreeing with doing something about climate change. Causing more and more disruption does not solve anything other than make self-righteous pricks such as yourself feel better.

royce coolidge

I feel humanity will not voluntarily give up their consuming,cars, foreign travel etc etc,until there are undeniable harmful effects from climate change (when it will probably be too late).
The emotions this stirs up bring out basest human behaviour of avarice and simply not believing the science(few people I know are absolutely convinced).
I wasn't singling Paul Calf out,but defending the dickhead on the tube when you've got a transatlantic jolly booked is complete cognitive dissonance.

Kryton

Not even sure what the guy was trying to prove though? So if he fucks up the train times doesn't that mean emergency buses need to get called out to various stations? All those hundreds of people would then be using hundreds of taxis and dozens of buses.
Can't be good for the environment.

Zetetic

The aim of disrupting trains wasn't to counteract the emissions involved in running the trains.

The aim was to cause disruption to train-users and thereby draw attention XR's concerns and make those concerns train-users' problem.

(I don't think this is a great aim, to be clear.)

Zetetic

An analogy: when the IRA demolished the centre of Manchester in 1996, they didn't believe that the explosion itself would eject any one of the six counties of NI from the UK to the RoI.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: royce coolidge on October 17, 2019, 07:04:16 PM
I feel humanity will not voluntarily give up their consuming,cars, foreign travel etc etc,until there are undeniable harmful effects from climate change (when it will probably be too late).

Yeah we need a green enlightenment period for this to work I reckon. A lot of the problems become more manageable once 'cheap clean energy' gets sorted. Doesn't matter if it takes a lot of energy to simulate the conditions to grow exotic fruits locally if the energy is clean and cheap then they don't need to be transported round the world.

chveik

Quote from: Zetetic on October 17, 2019, 07:33:33 PM
An analogy: when the IRA demolished the centre of Manchester in 1996, they didn't believe that the explosion itself would eject any one of the six counties of NI from the UK to the RoI.

that's a really shite analogy if I may say so.

Dr Rock

I found it helpful, I was confused before that.

Zetetic

Quote from: chveik on October 17, 2019, 07:37:39 PM
that's a really shite analogy if I may say so.
No thanks.

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 17, 2019, 07:40:53 PM
I found it helpful, I was confused before that.
Very kind.

Dr Rock

It's like, when Fathers For Justice stood on them bridges, they didn't expect their estranged children to immediately come flying through the air into their arms.

Did I do it right?