Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 19, 2019, 01:52:03 AM
We are way past the point of waiting for gammons to become fucking allies through the power of peaceful persuasion. If there is not a MAJOR social transformation pretty much immediately then civilization is fucked in the long run. Disrupting things and therefore destabilizing the momentum of the status quo is one method of doing that. But even the bulk of XR are not nearly radical enough to actually accomplish anything on a useful timescale.

Personally I don't think there is much prospect of success and I just sit here in the dark and post things on a comedy forum, but people whining on Twitter about "middle-class cunts" or about not using a conciliatory enough strategy just really don't get it.

WOW. Fucking Gammons?

So anyone who is pissed off that some cunt is arsing about on top of the train is now a gammon?

What's wrong with punching up? Instead of jobless middle class cunts ruining things for hard workers and then calling us gammons for being annoyed? Maybe stop taking fucking gap years to Thailand and try picking some fucking plastic out of the ocean then?

I understand the point of chaos and disruption, but insulting the working class and pissing people off is not going to work in your favour. That's a reality just as much as the oceans filling with methane is a reality.

Fine tune yourselves to something more persuasive or take on the establishment rather than angry, tired workers.

NJ Uncut

chveik

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 01:57:12 AM
What's wrong with punching up? Instead of jobless middle class cunts ruining things for hard workers and then calling us gammons for being annoyed? Maybe stop taking fucking gap years to Thailand and try picking some fucking plastic out of the ocean then?

you sound just like a gammon.

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 01:57:12 AM
WOW. Fucking Gammons?

So anyone who is pissed off that some cunt is arsing about on top of the train is now a gammon?

"Picking some plastic out of the ocean"

I'm not having a go, but I think your post neatly incapsulates the inability of human beings (including myself) to conceptualize the scale of the existential threat they are protesting. This is not a partisan political issue.

NJ Uncut

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2019, 02:00:28 AM

What because I can see the difference between two different types of protest? One side that might rally people to a decent idealistic and persuasive sense of action, the other side delaying a train and beating people up when they want to get home?

How does wanting people to punch upwards and make a better statement against the ruling class make me a gammon?

I don't really know what a gammon is, but I assume it's the BNP types or Sun readers? I'm neither of those.

Kryton

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 19, 2019, 02:02:12 AM
"Picking some plastic out of the ocean"

I'm not having a go, but I think your post neatly incapsulates the inability of human beings (including myself) to conceptualize the scale of the existential threat they are protesting. This is not a partisan political issue.

I can fully conceptualise it. You can't. You have this idiotic idea that annoying hundreds of people will do anything but discredit the movement. I'm calling for smarter, more tactical moves against more deserving targets.

chveik

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:04:44 AM
What because I can see the difference between two different types of protest? One side that might rally people to a decent idealistic and persuasive sense of action, the other side delaying a train and beating people up when they want to get home?

How does wanting people to punch upwards and make a better statement against the ruling class make me a gammon?

I don't really know what a gammon is, but I assume it's the BNP types or Sun readers? I'm neither of those.

"jobless middle class cunts", "gap years to Thailand" etc.

the fact that you don't seem to understand that XR has been involved in all sort of protests, that most people in the group didn't agree with the train action. the fact that the protester has been beaten up and that people have been cheering about this kind of vigilante violence on social media. the fact that you obviously didn't pay attention to phes' good post on the previous page. the sort of idealistic action you're looking for doesn't fucking exist.

NJ Uncut

If someone's postin shit I'm gonna post THE shit

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2019, 02:00:28 AM

And fuck it. You're probably some jobless layabout, living on a trust-fund from mother and father in your second flat, completely ignorant of the harsher realities of life. Some gap year wanker (taking time off from you spiritual pottery course)who thinks anyone who doesn't immediately rise to your green-collared hollering idiocy is somehow ignorant of your pot-fuelled dreams of calming the methanic oceans by waving a flag and being called Tristan or Quentin or something.

You're probably left wing just out of guilt due to your shitty, conservative barn-burning parents who are the epitome of baby boomer greed. Your heroin addiction is a plus point to your character, it gives you a slight edge on your general hollow nature. You wear tweed and shoplift old books and probably diddled your little sister. The thrush around your be-pimpled face is not from any love-making, more so the heavy hand of a domineering grandad who may or may not have fisted someone's creaking, leaking and overly stretched anus. Either way that anus juice is smeared on you and you can't get rid of the smell. It's in your pores and gives you nightmares.
And you wet the bed and cry at night.

See we can all make bullshit, ignorant accusations. I genuinely don't mean the above and I'd wager only about three or four of things I made up are true.

chveik

are you wanking as you type this you fucking GAMMON?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:16:21 AM
And fuck it. You're probably some jobless layabout,

You're a cunt using that as a slur, just fyi <--- I stand by this generally, but Kryton was nice enough to PM me and we had a chat and actually have gone through some similar things, and I take the meaning in which this was said, we have bigger fish to fry

Have a pic which caused me to join XR

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2019, 02:17:40 AM
are you wanking as you type this you fucking GAMMON?

I'm dreaming of ripping off your fucking dreadlocks and giving you a shave you fucking cunt. Maybe one day you'll find some purpose.

Go live a real life, stop blaming the average joe for your middle class guilt.

If you have any integrity you'd be out there with XR instead of defending violent, disruptive wankers on the internet from your posh little flat.

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:06:47 AM
You have this idiotic idea that annoying hundreds of people will do anything but discredit the movement.

As I already said, I think civilization is fucked and personally for my own mental well being I just ignore the issue from day to day or pretend on a certain level that the science is somehow mistaken. But the least I can do is not sneer on Twitter about 2-3 protesters actually trying to wake society up, no matter how dim the prospects of that succeeding are.

Your points would be marginally more valid if they were protesting a normal issue, even an incredibly important issue like ending austerity. The threat of irrevocable climate change leading to human extinction sort of trumps class issues regarding workers on the train, imo.

Kryton

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 19, 2019, 02:18:33 AM
You're a cunt using that as a slur, just fyi

I'm merely retaliating against some tosser who uses an anti-working class slur. I don't think it's wrong to attack the comfortable trustafarians. Those cunts who let mum and day pay for their court fines.

Punch up yeah?

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:23:18 AM
I'm merely retaliating against some tosser who uses an anti-working class slur. I don't think it's wrong to attack the comfortable trustafarians. Those cunts who let mum and day pay for their court fines.

Punch up yeah?

You absolutely would not be posting all of this stuff if you actually understood and believed in the threat of climate change. That is just an objective fact, no matter how much you deny it.

It's a flaw in the human brain not a personal failing. I don't really believe in it on a certain level either.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:23:18 AM

Punch up yeah?

My inbox is always open for this

I simply ask: I'm IN fucking XR, I've been honest enough with my wobbles, I'm woefully working class, spent three years being sub-working class - what the Christing fuck does any of that, or this spat have to do with XR?

Nothin'. Sort it out with eachother directly.

Kryton

Alright consider this. People are angry because of austerity. Rich cunts have fucked us all. The bankers. The Tories. The police are fucking us. Debt collectors. Loan sharks. Gangs. Drugs. Alcoholism. Escapism.

People are scraping a living. Life is not easy. Minimum wage, universal credit. Zero hour contracts. Inside people are seething. Divided by brexit. The growing weariness of yet more years under the conservatives. Cuts everywhere. Privatisation.

Now we have entitled wankers who belong to the militant middle classes SHOUTING IN THEIR FACES. 'YOU are to blame for global warming!' And then gluing themselves to a train, disrupting hospitals.

How do you think this is going to make people feel?

Kryton

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 19, 2019, 02:26:04 AM
You absolutely would not be posting all of this stuff if you actually understood and believed in the threat of climate change. That is just an objective fact, no matter how much you deny it.

It's a flaw in the human brain not a personal failing. I don't really believe in it on a certain level either.

But you think solving/highlighting climate change is made by fucking over the poorer people?

You're wrong. You can be fully aware of the huge tons of ice cracking out of Greenland. The droughts, flash fires, melting polar caps, methane and Co2 levels rising. Ecosystems perishing. Bees and fish and plankton dying. The devastating effects of industry. Corporate greed and fracking and poisoned rivers in Somalia. Mass deforestation etc etc.

The fact that you think you can't be pissed off at two different things says a lot.

You're the ignorant one not me. I'm not the one saying annoy the general public. I'm the one calling for every corrupt CEO to be dragged out of their third home and fucking tarred and feathered. The masses would enjoy it. It'd rally people to your cause.

chveik

seems like you have really thought this through big man.

bgmnts

There once was a group called Extinction
They didn't act with greatest distinction
They stood on a train
Caused commuter pain
And now suffer permanent tinction

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2019, 02:35:58 AM
seems like you have really thought this through big man.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

chveik

I mean, you were calling for decent, idealistic action earlier and now you want public executions?

Kryton

deleted.

Kryton

Anyway I genuinely support XR and I hope they find better, smarter ways of rallying people to their cause. But again kicking the general public in the face is not the answer.

Kryton

And I'm sorry for getting angry at the people on this forum. Sorry. Just take umbrage to being called a gammon.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:54:27 AM
Anyway I genuinely support XR and I hope they find better, smarter ways of rallying people to their cause. But again kicking the general public in the face is not the answer.

I largely agree with this.

I'm, personally, going round in infuriating circles - I'll just point at leadership, the problems you get when you co-opt anyone and vice versa for a specific agenda; the actions that arise from non-directed protest.

It's the easiest thing to be snide about XR - I've done it myself, with the caveat I've also been signed up and talking to my local chapter and fronting up cash - but it could do without stereotypes.

Class is just the fuckin' division THEY use - yes, THEY! - to make us turn on one another. I know how that sounds, but I only say it to rubbish braindead ideas like working class scorning the middle class and XR being some nexus of one or the other (usually the latter but it isn't actually important).

I think you can only play with the team you've got. XR are streets and streets ahead of anybody else comparable. You can have dunderheads lwho don't "get" climate change; but I keep coming back to hearts and minds. Sometimes.. this is heartbreaking to me, but someones it's as simple as people having the fucking room to process this. Who wants to feel guilt over driving their kids to school? And it's enormous, y'know - it's systemic, it's monstrously huge, and it's unethical to place that on one one person anyway. All it should be - all it needs to be - is a different alignment. Something as simple as an outlook...if more shared it.

I don't, hand on heart, think people like the commuter surfer capture hearts nor minds. I've reposted the XR email I got about it, which did an interesting thing of putting distance while claiming it.

I certainly don't think they're beyond criticism. I resent, I suppose this is quite personal, but any element of XR I perceive as "attention seeking", that is to say "not serious". But...

But it clicked for me a few days ago in a big way: it's NUMBERS.

The game plan is MASS.

Hence flooding jails.

There seems to lack a tactical, intelligent, meet-us-in-the-middle negotating table in XR. But by Christ, it's right. It really is right. The game is up - we're fucked if this is how we go on.

All I can do is represent myself, represent what groups I am aligned to - and XR are the only game in town, tbh - and do what I usually do, which is kick off, explain, talk, communicate.

My biggest criticism of XR this past week is that for a movement so utterly hinged on what amounts to peer pressure, public numbers and visible support, they're absolutely gash at managing perceptions. One man's "free spirit protester" is another's "eye-off-the ball larkabout".

Fuck fear and fuck scepticism for an opening gambit, for an initial approach.

I'm not saying the powers that be have the power, temerity, or intelligence, to make us twins focus on the minute differences between us; but if they did - if you went full-on, radio rental "authority is evil", "they want to split us down the middle" - wouldn't it look just like this mess we're in?

Edit: sorry, I've been up 22 hours. This should have been more furious.

Kryton

Sorry NJ, you're right. Glad you're one of the smarter people here.

chveik

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 19, 2019, 02:26:45 AM
Nothin'. Sort it out with eachother directly.

thanks for that man, I really needed to receive more personal abuse.

anyway I'm sorry for derailing the thread, for the insults and all that. I guess I'm pretty shit at the online debate stuff.

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2019, 03:10:13 AM
thanks for that man, I really needed to receive more personal abuse.

Eurgh. I apologise to you too Chveik, despite my outburst - you're not my enemy.

We're all angry right?