Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion

Started by MoonDust, November 17, 2018, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 02:23:18 AM
I'm merely retaliating against some tosser who uses an anti-working class slur. I don't think it's wrong to attack the comfortable trustafarians. Those cunts who let mum and day pay for their court fines.

Punch up yeah?

No you're not.  You, both in your present incarnation and your last one, have a problem with other people who don't agree with you or that you've decided to take against.  You project this trustafarian bullshit onto them.  You've done it to me a million times.

You project this caricature of being privileged onto everyone that doesn't accept your bullshit.  And it is bullshit.  You use it to justify the kind of obsessive behaviour you've illustrated in this thread.  You other them, every, every, time and deny their right to an opinion.  In effect, saying that the person they are born as takes away their right to speak.  You have no idea who they are anyway but, even if you're right, you're wrong about their right to voice their opinions. 

We get it, you don't like the protest at the tube station.  People have listened, people have answered, now let it go, stop dominating this very important thread with your own personal issues.  Thank you.

Everyone is angry.  Don't be discouraged chveik, you're absolutely fine.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I've never understood why class boundaries should be indicators of authenticity anyway. I've lived in places which could be easily classified as slums with damp on the wall, doing all my shopping at Lidl, but I never felt more worthy of understanding and fair treatment than when I was doing well and 'on the up'. In fact, the only times I've looked towards others for a modicum of compassion is when I was going through emotional bollocks like a breakup or bereavement - things which can happen to anyone. Money can insulate you from many things, but it can't protect you from the hard facts of life. Case in point: a multimillionaire acquaintance of mine (who died recently, as it happens), despite being wealthy had a mentally disabled son who he had to spent nearly all his time worrying about/looking after. The idea that a working class person (which, statistically, probably means they work in the service industry) who's young and unattached could justifiably look at someone like that and go "Ohh. You've got it so easy..." is not only and arrogant and misinformed, but emotionally stunted and morally wrong.

Paul Calf

But that's a false equivalency isn't it? It's a lot easier for a multimillionaire to care for a disabled child than it is for someone working three jobs for minimum wage.

Head Gardener

idunnosomename

broccoli man broccoli man does whatever a broccoli can

... oh

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 19, 2019, 12:19:56 PM
But that's a false equivalency isn't it? It's a lot easier for a multimillionaire to care for a disabled child than it is for someone working three jobs for minimum wage.

True enough. But I wasn't comparing a multimillionaire with a disabled child to a working wage person with a disabled child - I was comparing a rich person with a disabled child to a working wage person without any dependents at all. The point I was making was, until you have all the facts at hand, it's quite silly saying "This person has it better than person y" purely on the basis of income. Where quality of life is concerned (sometimes, nothing more extravagant than sanity) a thousand and one other factors can come into play. Someone who's from a rich family but who was sexually abused by their Dad, for instance, probably doesn't the preferential set of circumstances compared to someone from a loving yet low income home.

Despite all that, I will now make the preemptive assumption that broccoli man is a bloody good bloke, deserving of all our respect and trust.

Kryton

Quote from: Buelligan on October 19, 2019, 07:11:29 AM
We get it, you don't like the protest at the tube station.  People have listened, people have answered, now let it go, stop dominating this very important thread with your own personal issues.  Thank you.

Everyone is angry.  Don't be discouraged chveik, you're absolutely fine.

I've apologised in public and via DM. Let's leave it now ok?
I could easily point out how much of a hypocrite you are. Calling anyone you disagree with a cunt, claiming to be a pacifist in one thread and then bragging about how violent you are in another. You have your own flaws too, but at least I can be open enough to apologise.

On another note - I think it's crucial that XR exist, I just don't think calling people 'gammons' and kicking people in their faces or blocking hospitals is the right way to protest. Anything else I said in anger was possibly due to being drunk/emotional. I apologise to those I offended and sorry for derailing the thread.

Paul Calf

What would you consider an appropriate response to someone who was trying to drag a protester from the top of a tube train into the arms of an angry mob?

Kryton

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 19, 2019, 11:56:29 PM
What would you consider an appropriate response to someone who was trying to drag a protester from the top of a tube train into the arms of an angry mob?

Not doing it in the first place?

Honestly though how do you think people should have reacted? A round of applause perhaps?

Paul Calf

How do I think people should have reacted to someone protesting about the most important issue ever to face humanity? I can tell you now that I do not think they should have reacted by dragging him off the top of a train and beating him senseless. You can definitely put me down as being firmly against that.

> Apologise for appearing to condone violence
>> Condone violence again.

What forms of protest are approved and not deserving of violent retribution from a hate-filled mob?

Paul Calf

It's ok for a crowd to kick the shit out of a lone protestor but it's not ok for that protestor to defend himself against them?

I mean, seriously: are you stupid?

Kryton

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 20, 2019, 12:22:02 AM
It's ok for a crowd to kick the shit out of a lone protestor but it's not ok for that protestor to defend himself against them?

I mean, seriously: are you stupid?

Did you watch the video? Are you blind? Look who kicks out first.
They were trying to remove him from the roof. He shouldn't be up there. XR didn't want anyone delaying the trains. Grabbing someone is not the same as booting someone in the face.

Again I'll ask you (and I know you're not the brightest of people, so I'll speak in simple terms) - what reaction did you think they'd get? An applause? Bunches of flowers?

'Thanks for delaying our trains mate!'

I'm slowly beginning to think it might have been you on that train roof Paul.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kryton on October 20, 2019, 12:53:27 AM
They were trying to remove him from the roof. He shouldn't be up there. XR didn't want anyone delaying the trains. Grabbing someone is not the same as booting someone in the face.

Again I'll ask you (and I know you're not the brightest of people, so I'll speak in simple terms) - what reaction did you think they'd get? An applause? Bunches of flowers?

Kicking someone in the face is fine, as long as it's against the most important issue ever to face humanity.

NJ Uncut

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on October 20, 2019, 12:53:27 AM

You are a threat to humanity and need to start thinking about your priorities

Paul Calf

Yeah, I'm calling it a day here.

idunnosomename

So these hippies bang on about pollution. Right well get this. I bet they all do poos. Checkmate

Buelligan

I do mine in a biodegradable carrier bag (like the SAS) and post them in bulk to Farage.  Make it his problem.

BlodwynPig

Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth

NJ Uncut

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 20, 2019, 10:01:47 AM
❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of EarthStop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth❗❗❗❗❗❗                                                       Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth     ♻♻♻♻♻Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of EarthStop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth                                                            Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth♿♿♿♿♿♿♿♿♿♿♿                                                                      Stop trivialising the eco-destruction of EarthStop trivialising the eco-destruction of EarthStop trivialising the eco-destruction of Earth ♪ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♫ ♬

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 20, 2019, 10:01:47 AM

If you're addressing me Blodwyn, there is nothing trivial about doing a big poo in a carrier bag.  If you'd ever done it you'd understand. 

My guess is, apologies if wrong, I am not even drunk or high, you are speaking from a shiny porcelain position of privilege, unlike others here accustomed to labouring over a bag for life.

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 20, 2019, 09:15:15 AM
You are a threat to humanity and need to start thinking about your priorities

While I hate that anyone would read say all the critiques from Infowars, The Telegraph, The Sun, The Dailymail etc. etc. etc. and assume they were whatsoever in good faith... and while one bloke being almost kicked in the face is a drop in the ocean of what is to come... it is seriously important if you're signed up to a non-violent protest group to adhere bloody strictly to that else you risk not only being shitty to another human being, but jeopardising the whole movement. While desperately scrabbling for a liveable future is the top priority... part of surviving the years ahead (for the vast majority of us not rich enough to have bunkers and spaceships) will be having good negotiating and conflict resolution skills. It is important not to alienate the majority (who are just trying to survive day to day), even while the majority definitely haven't grasped how late-stage fucked things are.

Sebastian Cobb

It does sort of put to bed the idea that 'all action is good action' which seemed to be floating around both within and outside ER. If they're thinking a bit harder about how they conduct themselves, as they claim to be then I think some unintentional good will have come from tube twat.

Buelligan

Are you a vicar from the 1950s or something?

Quote from: gout_pony on October 20, 2019, 04:23:50 PM
While I hate that anyone would read say all the critiques from Infowars, The Telegraph, The Sun, The Dailymail etc. etc. etc. and assume they were whatsoever in good faith... and while one bloke being almost kicked in the face is a drop in the ocean of what is to come... it is seriously important if you're signed up to a non-violent protest group to adhere bloody strictly to that else you risk not only being shitty to another human being, but jeopardising the whole movement. While desperately scrabbling for a liveable future is the top priority... part of surviving the years ahead (for the vast majority of us not rich enough to have bunkers and spaceships) will be having good negotiating and conflict resolution skills. It is important not to alienate the majority (who are just trying to survive day to day), even while the majority definitely haven't grasped how late-stage fucked things are.

I'm definitely adhering to all of that until we get to the end game.  Once that hits, if that hits, as far as I am concerned, all bets are off, I'm going to roll the bike back out and sharpen my massive axe.  I think it's what my mum would've wanted.

Zetetic

Reckon we can't be more than a few months away from the successful appropriation of the extinction hourglass by consumer culture.

Looking forward to its first use in an airline's marketing campaign. (Or being told that this is already behind us.)

Sebastian Cobb

There were definitely a bit of that in the blurb on the packaging on the veggie schwarma I eat yesterday.

Zetetic

Our inflight menu is a collaboration with Michelin-starred chef Michael Wignall and is endorsed by the Fight against Xtinction Trust.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Kryton on October 19, 2019, 06:52:12 PMOn another note - I think it's crucial that XR exist, I just don't think calling people 'gammons' and kicking people in their faces or blocking hospitals is the right way to protest. Anything else I said in anger was possibly due to being drunk/emotional. I apologise to those I offended and sorry for derailing the thread.

How do you feel about the Suffragettes? Or Nelson Mandela?

garbed_attic

This thread by Peter Kalmus (in reply to Neil Gaiman) is really on-point and much of the top-voted comments are interesting to boot:
https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1185666446262554624

After the amount of comments I've read calling for more violence against XR the last few days and general hatred of the movement by the majority, I've started to think most people prefer the idea of looking after their own - whether that means in the future having to get a gun and scavenge etc. - rather than endure system change that feels forced upon them. Of course, it's a bunch of neoliberal elites that have succeeded in so many internalising this libertarian ethos. It's grim that anyone thinks that Nigel Farage or Brendan O'Neill is really on the side of anyone but themselves... but maybe it's just that - most people don't believe that anyone is anything other than selfish, so they'd rather listen to those who are explicitly and flagrantly selfish than well-meaning hypocrites.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Only tribalism isn't the result of the 'libertarian ethos' (whatever that is), is it? It's the result of instincts as old as the flint axe Buelligers will be brandishing and swinging at the first sniff of a pure-pedigree elite, come the season finale of our civilisation. Once again, half the trouble with enacting change, getting people to inspect their motives, individuate rather than fulminate, etc. is a vocal minority who want to politicise this head-on collision with our future at every turn. So long as some hedge fund manager is Belgravia is seen to suffer, who cares about the polar bears eh?