Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso guitar-y thread]GAS is real.

Started by Spiteface, November 18, 2018, 03:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

I think I have a problem with GAS: as in Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

Recently I got it in my head I needed a new guitar amplifier. Decided I wanted to go EVEN lower wattage-wise and get a 1-watt amp, as although my Marshall DSL5C I bought 2 years ago had a 1-watt setting, it seemed mad to use that and let the other four watts go unused. So I saw Marshalls more recent DSL line has 1-watt head and combos. The head appealed to me as I liked the idea of a mini marshall stack that was all-valve. That head and a 1x12 speaker cab. But for some reason none of the demos I heard sounded decent.

There are also newer Orange "Terror" amps that came out this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1g3q0PNy8 (warning: contains Rob Chapman)

Switchable from 15 all the way down to half a watt. The Brent Hinds version also sounds like it does more than just Mastodon shit.

Out of curiosity to see if I still liked the Orange sound, a few weeks I dug out my old Tiny Terror head and plugged it back into the matching 1x12 cab that lately had just been a glorified stand for the Marshall. Sounded amazing even at "bedroom" volume. and now the original TT is discontinued, I was never parting with it anyway.

THEN, I'm browsing youtube and come across Victory amps, which has thrown everything in the air yet again with the BD1 (again potential Rob Chapman content as it's a non-sig version of his signature amp) and Sheriff 22 lunchbox heads.

Both sound good, but the Sheriff especially. That one does Marshall Plexi-ish sounds and at higher gain capable of JCM800-style tones. But the REAL thing that makes it appealing to me, is the attenuated speaker output around the back that brings it all down to 0.3 watts. Meaning you could REALLY push this and it's manageable for home playing. Sounds fuller than modern Marshalls seem to, as well.

but to add to the madness, I also revisited my Marshall DSL again and flat EQ, gain at about 1 O'clock, with my Les Paul, almost instant Sex Pistols. Which is funny in a way as Never Mind the Bollocks was all Fender Twin. Stave Jones used Marshalls later on in his career though, and actually used Billy Duffy's JCM800s for the 1996 Filthy Lucre tour.

So now I have 2 amps I already own and am happy with, yet I'm still convinced I want yet another (expensive) one and I don't even play gigs.
Anyone else similarly afflicted?

I'm barely playing at the min and variously eyeing up a load of pedals, 'something new' in the guitar arsenal, and another decent sized amp.

I'm also thinking about finally getting round to singing lessons as it's hard as fuck to get a band together, so I might do it all myself. Which means more gear.

easytarget

I identify with this problem. At the moment, I'm good for amps. I have a gorgeous custom 50W Verellen with a nice 2x12 cab, look at this thing :

Chiming clean tones lovely reverb, takes pedals well. Perfect.

Except, I'm in a band (kinda, we're hiring for several positions) and there's no way this thing is getting gashed up in the beer, sweat and grime-soaked venues that we'll be playing. I need something with tolex. Sweet, indestructible tolex. So I got this:

Hovercraft Caribou. Another 50W amp another 2x12 cab. Nice cleans if you dial them in, amazing distortion. Really amazing when you stack an overdrive and an HM2 clone in front of it.

This thread isn't about pedals is it? I have loads of those. I'm getting more. The perfect tone is out there somewhere.

popcorn

Why is it that every single time I put my Shure 57A Beta in front of my Voc AC15 amp it sounds like muddy shite?

sevendaughters

I get a bit envious of gearheads, all I have is a Tele copy and a reconditioned Watkins head and whenever I record I borrow pedals (never play it live) so I'm like "ooh what does this do?" for an hour before I play a note. That said a lot of gearheads I know personally have real trouble sustaining bands, putting out music, keeping the production of material going. Wonder why that is? Not quite 'all the gear and no idea', more like 'would rather record a gear demo for youtube than hang out with some sweaty bastards in a box in an old mill for 4hrs going deaf'.

New Jack

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 20, 2018, 09:31:46 AM
I get a bit envious of gearheads, all I have is a Tele copy and a reconditioned Watkins head and whenever I record I borrow pedals (never play it live) so I'm like "ooh what does this do?" for an hour before I play a note. That said a lot of gearheads I know personally have real trouble sustaining bands, putting out music, keeping the production of material going. Wonder why that is?

Choice paralysis, in my experience

sevendaughters

Quote from: New Jack on November 20, 2018, 09:37:35 AM
Choice paralysis, in my experience

ooh right, like whenever I go into the newsagents for a choc bar and am frozen in time. yeah could be.

i did like having a nice rig (two x DD6 pedals, Boss reverb unit, EHX Holy Stain, a ridic overdrive a friend built housed in a blank silver box, and a looper that I couldn't get on with) and used to eye up people's pedalboards a lot (always wanted a Lovetone Meatball) but ultimately never saved to get that stuff. hmmm. just talking here.

mrpupkin

In my experience less is more, I find gadgets and gear get in the way and distract me from creation. I like the Wilko Johnson quote when asked what pedals he uses, "I'm a guitarist not a cyclist" (paraphrased). That's just personal preference though and what works for me, I enjoy listening to other people who use technology creatively.

mrpupkin

Shakespeare didn't have all different quills did he (maybe he did dunno)

Quote from: popcorn on November 20, 2018, 07:43:53 AM
Why is it that every single time I put my Shure 57A Beta in front of my Voc AC15 amp it sounds like muddy shite?

Hey, bossman. Tell me why I should or shouldn't get an AC15. My housemate is offering one requiring a service and a minor repair on one of the inputs in exchange for my CV50s tele (~£250). It's red. I already have a Marshall combo and a Fender Twin that both require low level repairs.

popcorn

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 20, 2018, 01:36:06 PM
Hey, bossman. Tell me why I should or shouldn't get an AC15. My housemate is offering one requiring a service and a minor repair on one of the inputs in exchange for my CV50s tele (~£250). It's red. I already have a Marshall combo and a Fender Twin that both require low level repairs.

I'm afraid I'm exactly the wrong person to ask, because I've barely used any other amps.

I can tell you personally I've never managed to make a sound with it I like. When I get back to the UK (been living abroad for a while) I'll probably trade it for something else entirely and just see if I like that more.

... But that's probably because I'm shit generally and don't understand amps. I understand effects but I don't understand amps or microphones. I believe the AC15 is well thought of generally and is used on records I like and everything, so, again, I'm probably crap.

easytarget

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 20, 2018, 09:31:46 AM
I get a bit envious of gearheads, all I have is a Tele copy and a reconditioned Watkins head and whenever I record I borrow pedals (never play it live) so I'm like "ooh what does this do?" for an hour before I play a note. That said a lot of gearheads I know personally have real trouble sustaining bands, putting out music, keeping the production of material going. Wonder why that is? Not quite 'all the gear and no idea', more like 'would rather record a gear demo for youtube than hang out with some sweaty bastards in a box in an old mill for 4hrs going deaf'.
My issue is being in a band with fellow gearheads where the conversations are usually about fuzz pedals and how you should get that new fuzz pedal for that part of the song.

Spiteface

Quote from: easytarget on November 20, 2018, 06:56:20 AM
This thread isn't about pedals is it? I have loads of those. I'm getting more. The perfect tone is out there somewhere.

Pedals are gear.

I used to bloody love fuzz. For ages I would have a Big muff pedal (kinda mandatory if you're into Smashing Pumpkins) or some Devi Ever stuff that I liked (although she's got out of the pedal biz again recently. A shame as I really wanted to get a new Hyperion). These days, I'm just happy jamming at home, guitar straight into an amp.

I think I'll go for the Sheriff soonish, and maybe sell the Marshall (seems pointless having two amps that cover similar stuff). Use the Orange cab for now (a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30), until I'm ready to invest in a new one, probably a custom one from Zilla Cabs, either a new 1X12 or a 2X12 vertical. Fancy getting one with a Creamback speaker.

Spiteface

Marshall "Studio" series aka Marshall throw my plans up in the air again

At NAMM over the weekend, Marshall announced a new series of amps called the "Studio" range. These are 20-watt, switchable down to 5, versions of some of their most iconic amps: The Studio Vintage is a scaled-down plexi, the Classic is a JCM800, and the Mini Jubilee from a few years back has been absorbed into this new line. All available as heads or 1x10" combos (The Jubilee combo is the exception as that remains a 12" Greenback)

I really want the JCM800 or Jubilee head. The Plexi would be no good, as even at 5 watts, you need to crank that fucker as there's no master volume.
These are about the same price as the Sheriff head. I always found it odd Marshall's never got in on the "Lunchbox" amp trend that Orange started - they do low-wattage amps, obviously, but always full wooden shells. The Sheriff 22 seems like something Marshall themselves should have done ages ago.

Spiteface

Finally got to try out the JCM800 Studio Classic today. The combo with 10" speaker.

REALLY good, even at home/"bedroom" volumes. Sure I'm not cranking these as nature intended, but it's that sound, man. Not as much gain as my DSL5C but there was always a weird quirk in the sound of that which when I notice it, bugs me a bit. The 800 has none of that, even on 5 watts, master volume no higher than 2.

Will likely get the head and run that through my old Orange 1X12 cab until I want to get a matching Marshall cab.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mrpupkin on November 20, 2018, 11:03:07 AM
Shakespeare didn't have all different quills did he (maybe he did dunno)

All the quills

.....  Plain

easytarget

Tell me what you know about effects loops.

Here's the issue I'm trying to solve - I'm very happy with my tone : guitar -> overdrive pedal -> crunch channel on the amp with the gain all the way up, but I need to get a bit louder for some leads and solos, can't just stick a boost pedal in the input because the gain is maxed out and the signal just gets more distorted but not louder. But - if I had an effects loop (between the pre amp and power amp) I could stick a clean boost in there and get, louder at the push of a button - right?

I've never found a use for the effects loop, but I thought it was best used for time based FX. I knew a guy who used a Boss 7 band eq to bump up the volume for leads which might solve your problem.

Rizla

I find my AC15 is a fiddly amp, counter-intuitive controls and too many of em. Can sound amazing but I'm always up fiddling with the controls during a gig, especially with single coils it's either too toppy or muddy as. Mind you I've had mine since about 2010 and I've never changed the valves, maybe that'd help I dunno. The last couple of gigs I've used my little vox pathfinder 15r practice amp plugged into the PA from the line out, sounds absolutely fine.

I own a fair amount of gear but seem to have managed to kick my GAS, although I'm craving a Hot Cake overdrive right now, and I recently just missed out on a very nice Copicat (I've got one already, but this was the 4-input lad and it was £170, an absolute steal).

buzby

Quote from: easytarget on March 28, 2019, 08:46:52 PM

Here's the issue I'm trying to solve - I'm very happy with my tone : guitar -> overdrive pedal -> crunch channel on the amp with the gain all the way up, but I need to get a bit louder for some leads and solos, can't just stick a boost pedal in the input because the gain is maxed out and the signal just gets more distorted but not louder. But - if I had an effects loop (between the pre amp and power amp) I could stick a clean boost in there and get, louder at the push of a button - right?
Provided that you aren't boosting the signal to the extent that the input of the power amp starts clipping, then yes. Does your amp have separate gain and volume controls for the distortion channel? If both are all the way up then adding more gain between the pre and power amp stages might push just the power amp into distortion rather than increasing the volume anyway.

easytarget

Quote from: buzby on March 29, 2019, 09:32:39 AM
Provided that you aren't boosting the signal to the extent that the input of the power amp starts clipping, then yes. Does your amp have separate gain and volume controls for the distortion channel? If both are all the way up then adding more gain between the pre and power amp stages might push just the power amp into distortion rather than increasing the volume anyway.
The distortion channel has it's own gain control and volume controls, gain is maxed, volume is not - so it sounds like this could be the way to go. Thanks!

easytarget

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 28, 2019, 09:56:11 PM
I've never found a use for the effects loop, but I thought it was best used for time based FX. I knew a guy who used a Boss 7 band eq to bump up the volume for leads which might solve your problem.
That might work too - i suppose the leads don't actually need to be louder in order to cut through the rest of the band.

Sherman Krank

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: easytarget on March 28, 2019, 08:46:52 PM

It sounds like you're using a lot of overdrive and finding that you're losing clarity, which is what happens. 

I'd suggest turning the gain down somewhat and the volume up a bit.  Use the overdrive pedal for your (presumably) clean channel and switch to the other one for soles, a bit louder.  Or the other way round.

Depends what type of music you're playing too.

easytarget

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 30, 2019, 01:14:53 AM
It sounds like you're using a lot of overdrive and finding that you're losing clarity, which is what happens. 

I'd suggest turning the gain down somewhat and the volume up a bit.  Use the overdrive pedal for your (presumably) clean channel and switch to the other one for soles, a bit louder.  Or the other way round.

Depends what type of music you're playing too.
It's really high gain - distortion channel maxed out, OCD overdrive turned up pretty high, but it sounds exactly right, thick chunky palm muted power chords, lovely sustain etc. It just doesn't get loud enough for leads. The other guitarist in the band has a fuzz pedal with a boost which sounds great for leads - but he plays into a clean Fender Twin.

In other news, I've started in a covers band playing bass. I have an old Yamaha P knock off, but fancy a new one.

I know guitar gear reasonably well, but bass less so. What's the difference between P and J pick ups, and is there any benefit to having a 30 scale over a 34?

Fancy a Mexican P,  Squier VM J, or a Mexican Mustang. What's the bleedin' difference?

a duncandisorderly

I have somewhere in the neighbourhood of forty basses, about ten guitars, loads of synths & sequencers & probably a hundred tape-recorders of one sort or another.

I can definitely answer questions on basses. how long have you been playing? what sort of stuff will you be covering? what instrument did you learn on? etcetera....

you can't go wrong with a nice precision or jazz bass, & you definitely need to try before you buy. is it important what it looks like? would it be a feature of the act? (e.g. if you're in a tribute band, you'll be expected to have the right sort of bass for the band- nasty hondo 'rickenbacker' if it's joy division or jam, black precision if it's pink floyd, etcetera...)

to answer your pickup question- precisions are inherently & sneakily hum-bucking (at the time of the introduction of the split pickup in 1957, hum-bucking was still covered by a patent), while a jazzer will only be humbucking if the pickups are both on & one of them is reverse-wound. sometimes they're not. the precision definitely has a distinctive thump missing from the jazz, but the jazz is overall slightly more versatile.

shorter scale lengths (such as the musicmasters, broncos & mustangs, & some gibsons) mean floppier strings- easier to play but somewhat lacking in tone. there are some 32" scale precisions if you hunt around, & rickys are around 33-1/2". but 34" is comfortable when you get used to it, & the tone is always good, even with light strings. what concerns me more is the width & depth of the neck, & the shape of the fingerboard. a jazz neck is a lot slimmer than a normal precision neck, though amongst these latter there is a great deal of variation. I have a 1968 precision, fr example, with an a-width neck (was special order back in the day), which is similar to a jazz. another precision I have is c-width, which is like a damn cricket bat.

where are you based? the bass gallery in camden is brilliant, & martin petersen is a top bloke who builds & repairs as well as selling basses.

Spiteface

Ordered the amp online this afternoon. Going with the Marshall SC20 Head. Should arrive on Tuesday.

I'm a pretty accomplished guitar player, but fully appreciate they are different instruments.

I have played bass in bands before, but mostly with crap or borrowed gear. For this band, we are essentially going to be playing covers and have a bash at doing it somewhat professionally - meaning paying gigs. The current set is based around what you might find in an indie disco with some Motown and 70s classic rock/pop thrown in too. Think Killers/The Cure/Fleetwood Mac... Outside of that I like bands that have a bit of grunt at times - typically alt and post rock. I think all my fave bass players play P basses too - Ben Shepherd, Eric Avery.

I currently have a Yamaha P knock off, but it's a bit of a pig to play. The truss rod has gone as far as it's going without the neck getting as straight as I'd like - so it's a question of whether I would prefer a short scale. My mate has a load of short scales, and they play ok, but I wonder if a decent 34" will play just fine if it were set up properly. What I don't understand is whether there is a trade off in terms of clarity (I'm told there is), or whether that would actually make any difference for my purposes. I also gather that a Jazz is a little more versatile, but lacks that thump.

I guess what I'm actually asking is - should I just go for a P bass?

That was an interesting way to repeat what I've already said, wasn't it.