Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is point dust jackets?

Started by ASFTSN, November 19, 2018, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

They don't actually prevent dust getting on the book.

They get damaged if you read the book with them on.

They get completely and utterly destroyed if you even think about moving house.

There's no easy way to take them off and securely store them.

The book underneath almost always looks shit without them.

They need to be preserved if you ever want a chance in hell of selling the book on in decent nick.

So what is point dust jackets?

NoSleep

Probably point of sale, i.e. they look good in the bookshop.

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 19, 2018, 06:06:10 PM
The book underneath almost always looks shit without them.

Doesn't that answer the question?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 20, 2018, 12:00:08 AM
Doesn't that answer the question?

Nah, there's loads of beautifully designed hardback and softcover books that don't have a dust jacket.

marquis_de_sad

What is this quintessence of dust jackets?

New Jack

They're fun to swap around in Waterstones

Wet Blanket

I usually take them off and then drip something or otherwise scuff the actual book cover in some way that could have been prevented if I'd left it on.

It's a wrapper innit. All this talk of storing them in pristine condition is crazy talk. The first step towards collecting your piss in jars.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 20, 2018, 02:24:05 PM
It's a wrapper innit. All this talk of storing them in pristine condition is crazy talk. The first step towards collecting your piss in jars.

True, I normally don't mind things I own getting a big dog eared and that. I certainly don't treat my books like I treat my record collection and will chuck a paperback in my bag, 'coz they're for reading, not for collecting. But there's something about a torn dust jacket that is bleeeak.

Massive first world problems I realise.

gilbertharding

I can't remember which of the Monty Python books it was, sorry - but one of them the hardback (it might have been the Papperbok), the dust jacket concealed a mucky (as in 'mucky') picture.

Oh - here: https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/humour/the-brand-new-monty-python-book-hd_101224939?pscid=ps_ggl_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqNCltLDj3gIVQud3Ch1fjw4FEAQYBSABEgLv1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(click to embiggen - mildly NSFW image)

'lurid'.

Queneau

I think Oxfam have mis-priced that because usually anything decent from those cunts means you have to sell your brother's bike to get it.

pigamus

And if the book's heavy they keep sliding out of the fucking things while you're trying to read them.

Queneau

I take them off and store them elsewhere whilst reading the book. Some cheeky cunts sell the dust jackets only on eBay. Bastards at work.

Bhazor

Wipe clean. So you can have a wank to the author portrait if its a really good book.