Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smash Bros Ultimate

Started by The Boston Crab, November 20, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I couldn't find the previous thread but after umpteen Directs and a staggering amount of announced content, this is very nearly here. I've played two Smash games but only single player and only for an hour or so and I will hold my hands up that I simply don't get it yet. I think multiplayer is probably a massive part of the game which I've never really experienced but I'll be in on this day one. I'm really looking forward to just seeing how much stuff is in the game. The cup runneth the fuck over.

Easy Allies and GameXplain previews are up too, very dense especially the latter but it's looking amazing. It's orgiastic in terms of content. Who's getting it? CaB Smash Night?

madhair60

Gonna preorder it with the Fighter Pass on payday I reckon. Can't wait

brat-sampson

I feel like I'm gonna struggle with the online. Wi-Fi in my room is atrocious, so basically it's time to buy a power network adapter and a LAN adapter for the Switch itself. That or sit in the kitchen every time I want a match...

That's what I use, send the connection through the mains and then into LAN adapter. I've no idea how this mad magic works but it does.

brat-sampson

I mean, I've used it before, and it's great, but functionally it's gonna double the cost of the game, so I need to steel myself to pick it all up. I'll be looking out for Black Friday deals.

Timothy

Gonna be a true test for Nintendo Online.
Probably wont be stable until 2019.
Im still playing the previous version. Might buy it on a sale.

Kelvin

Smash is only behind Zelda in terms of my all time favourite game series. In fact, for 15 years, I've been meeting with one of my friends every month for a Smash fight night/weekend, so you can imagine our hype for Ultimate at this point. It honestly looks to contain 90% of our fanboy wishlist; hazard toggle, fighter elimination mode and team elimination chief among them.

I really hope us Cabbers can face off against each other online, but for me it's first and foremost about the local multiplayer. The single player looks passable at best, but getting a bunch of equally matched friends involved is hysterical madness, of the sort that makes screaming at Mario Kart look subdued.

Brilliant in its simplicity, but extremely well balanced, and with considerable depth for those who want to go beyond the special and smash attacks, it really is one of the greatest multiplayer games of all time. Probably the greatest example of gaming nostalgia/references, too. Every move, animation and item is a reference to a specific or obscure game from Nintendo history. It's hard to think of a game denser or more generous in its content. Series head, Masahiro Sakurai, is particularly admired and beloved by Nintendo fans for good reason.

brat-sampson

Powerline installed and it's also a local WiFi booster so I'm all fucking set, no LAN adapter needed.

Bring it fucking on.
Edit: 2weeks!

Kelvin

We're not going two weeks with the edit glitch.

biggytitbo

Can you play as Bungle in this?

Fry

Do I have to preorder to be Piranha Plant? I hate preordering games but if it means I can be Piranha Plant it's worth it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Fry on November 25, 2018, 11:45:02 AM
Do I have to preorder to be Piranha Plant? I hate preordering games but if it means I can be Piranha Plant it's worth it.

You get piranha plant free if you pre-order, but you can pay for him if you don't want to do that.

brat-sampson

I think anyone who preorders or buys the game in the first month or two gets piranha plant.

Kelvin

The game has leaked and a bunch of the songs are now online. Fucking hell, this soundtrack is amazing. Full orchestrals, electronic remixes, chiptune segments.

Imagine a soundtrack that makes Mario Galaxy's music sound even better. That.

Here's one that was already uploaded on their own website; Vega's Theme from Street Fighter II:

Edit: actually, I don't know if it's a good idea posting a link to the music, even if it is one they have a version of on their site. Look up the piano/string version of Vega's theme if you want to hear it.

Kelvin

I mean, Jesus Christ. Listen to that Vega song. Imagine fighting to that. It's perfection.

I just did before playing SF2. It's such an amazing soundtrack overall, every theme is a total banger. Great great decision to lob some SF2 music into this. It's a total orgy.

I just actually clicked the link and holy FUCK that sounds spectacular. Wow! So soulful.

madhair60

pre ordered this with the DLC pass and I never do that, EVER. I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT

brat-sampson

Reviews are out. Surprisingly, this is not a bad game. I guess we have to wait and see how the online component plays out, but everything else is as expected. World of light looks almost too deep and involved, tbh, but I'll give it a go along with the rest. Certainly took a lot of effort to make, that's for sure.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2018, 02:53:07 PM
pre ordered this with the DLC pass and I never do that, EVER. I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT
Same (except that I have done this many times before, with me saying "I never do this" because I know it's stupid at the time)

I will probably mainly play this single player. Hopefully that will be as fulfilling as I expect it to be. I don't like anonymous online play much (Mario Tennis being the exception to that rule)

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on December 06, 2018, 03:43:23 PM
Same (except that I have done this many times before, with me saying "I never do this" because I know it's stupid at the time)

I will probably mainly play this single player. Hopefully that will be as fulfilling as I expect it to be. I don't like anonymous online play much (Mario Tennis being the exception to that rule)

Play it online unanonymously with you cookdandbombd pals.

Twed

That's worse, it means I can't ragequit without getting flack for it.

We must do a CaB night and find out definitively who is the best person

Kelvin

Frustratingly, I can't actually play this for more than an hour tmw, as I'm out at the work's Christmas do. Have my Smash loving friend coming round for a boy's weekend of Smash and chicken wings, though. Can't fucking wait.

Kelvin

We'll be online a bunch. Come die to us.

I'll be maining my boi Ken Masters (as soon as I unlock the guy) and you and your real friend will face the FULL FORCE of a guy who don't know how to play Smesh.

DocDaneeka

I got it a day early. It's pretty good, feels very similar to the Wii U version.

Absolutely crammed with different modes and stuff to collect and do. Wish they could have put half the love that's gone in to this in to Mario Tennis.

brat-sampson

Mine's unlocked. Did the very basics of World of Light (reached a 3-way split, that's all) and realised it's been so long since I last played that I can barely remember what all the buttons do...

Oh well, fun times to come!