Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smash Bros Ultimate

Started by The Boston Crab, November 20, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Also in case it wasn't obvious, I've got no idea what I'm meant to do when I get the flashy thing and don't know how you do those special finishing moves.

Kelvin

Ah, if you see a smash ball you hit it until it explodes, at which point you press your "special attack" button once, to release it. Generally you want to be alongside your opponent when you do this, but it depends on the charachter.

I did think it was odd you were ignoring them. The new smash meter is better, tbh, as the attacks are weaker, and it doesn't result in people getting distracted chasing a smash ball.

By the way, you're really good in the air. I actually found it hard to hit you when you played at Link, for example, and you kept racking up damage that way. I've also realised I'm shit with Little Mac on any level that isn't more or less flat. Assist trophies feel a bit cheap, so I might turn them off in future.

Had a few rounds online in the end after nine and I'm starting to click with Ken a bit actually. Started to get a good feel for him and won a few in a row and then swapped to Little Mac who I've also played a bit this past week. Really really like him a lot, his moves come out so fast and hit pretty hard. Really mobile too. I'll look forward to some omega Mac on Mac, Kelvin :D

Kelvin

I can set up a game tmw if you want. Are you free at any point?

I'm out for lunch (at 4pm ffs) but hopefully around from 6pm or so if it suits you.

Kelvin

Yep, will set up a room with items off around 6

Kelvin

I'm guessing you're not free, but i've set up a room anyway, in case anyone else wants to join.

Consignia

I'm in for a couple of rounds.

Consignia

Sorry, I'm still in the experimental stage, hence some of those embarrasing losses. Especially Daisy. All I could was fall slowly.

I'm afraid that's all from me for a bit. Sorry I could only join in a couple of rounds.

Sorry mate just popped on here to say I'm still out at dinner and staying out for a pint after. I only just noticed the time so apologies for the late message too.

Edit: Who organises Sunday lunch at 4 o clock and turns up half an hour late? Fuming.

Kelvin

No worries, guys.

Quote from: Consignia on December 16, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Sorry, I'm still in the experimental stage, hence some of those embarrasing losses. Especially Daisy. All I could was fall slowly.

I was trying out characters, too. That was literally the first time I've ever played Paletana in Ultimate, and you could see from my try with Simon that I had no idea how to use him properly. That's the thing with a cast this large and diverse; I have a handful of characters I know well, and then a whole bunch I have almost no experience with, or who simply don't play in a style I know how to use. It's amazing how many times I pick up a character and just think "well, what the hell does that move do?" 

Consignia

Looks like Erdick may the next fighter pass dude. From Dragon Quest, apparently.

https://appuals.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighter-might-have-just-leaked/

I just hope they don't fill up the roster with JRPGs dudes. Joker, OK. Dragon Quest is a big thing for Nintendo, yep. But it's incredibly niche. We've already filled the roster with interchangable Fire Emblem characters. Rayman would surely fit the bill much better.

madhair60

I want my fucking Fighter Pass money back. Jesus christ.

Hope the next one is either:

Barrett from FFVII
The exotic dancer from Octopath Traveler
Cloud dressed as a prostitute from FFVII
Spike Speigel from Cowboy Bebop
Birdo from SMB2
Mandingo from ARMS
Jill Valentine from Resident Evil
Mia Fey from Phoenix Wright
Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Kelvin

I think I might actually like World of Light, at this point. I seem to have had the opposite experience from many reviewers, who generally seemed to say that the mode was fun at first, but got very boring after x amount of time, in that I found it an absolute slog initially, but around the 10 hour mark, I realised I was just happily grinding away listening to podcasts for hours on end.

Is it good? No, absolutely not. Without podcasts to listen to I still think I'd hate it. Would I recommend it to anyone who wasn't able to play the proper game with friends/online? Not in a million years. But I do think that, as a mindless piece of side content, it is passably entertaining, in a way Brawl's Subspace mode never was.

A few nice sub areas, too. Especially in the late game. I wish the mode had actually just consisted of those sorts of areas, tbh.

madhair60

Subspace Emissary with a mate was great fun. You've got no fuckin mates, mate.

Kelvin

Mate, I played it with a mate. I ended up feeling guilty that I was asking him to play it with me when it was so obviously wretched.

Terrible levels, awful art design, movement totally unsuited to platforming, that massive shit maze at the end. Cut scenes were okay, but when that's the best you can say about a Nintendo game, something has gone very, very wrong.

madhair60

Your standards are too high.

Why does this have that bad platforming bit in Classic Mode? Or the bad shmup bit? I thought there might be other levels or something but no, it's like from a mobile game tier shit in the game.

Kelvin

The shooting bit is just something to do during the credits, to unlock more stuff. Its just a little mini game. The race is worse, but it only takes about 20 seconds.

robotam

You can fast forward the credits anyway by pressing the start button

rue the polywhirl

I'm a few hours into this, I've unlocked Sonic with Super Sonic Racing title music playing in the background during the Mario Kart stage that I was fighting Sonic on so it appears to be a song in the game's soundtrack but I can't find it in the Vaults song catalogue and it doesn't appear as an option for background music on any of the levels, even on all of the Sonic ones and all the Racing ones as well. This all surely must be some huge mistake?

Kelvin

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on December 18, 2018, 06:50:49 PM
I'm a few hours into this, I've unlocked Sonic with Super Sonic Racing title music playing in the background during the Mario Kart stage that I was fighting Sonic on so it appears to be a song in the game's soundtrack but I can't find it in the Vaults song catalogue and it doesn't appear as an option for background music on any of the levels, even on all of the Sonic ones and all the Racing ones as well. This all surely must be some huge mistake?

Nah, you unlock music as you play (spend in game money in the shop, or complete classic mode), so you might not have it yet.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Kelvin on December 18, 2018, 06:52:50 PM
Nah, you unlock music as you play (spend in game money in the shop, or complete classic mode), so you might not have it yet.

Phew. Hopefully the rest of Sonic R music is unlockable too.

Quote from: Kelvin on December 18, 2018, 05:30:25 PM
The shooting bit is just something to do during the credits, to unlock more stuff. Its just a little mini game. The race is worse, but it only takes about 20 seconds.

I'll never play Classic Mode again now I've unlocked everyone but I just instantly jumped off the edge with the platform bit and fast fwded the shmup bit. I just don't understand why they bothered with such low effort incongruous stages. You're probably right though.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 18, 2018, 07:10:03 PM
I'll never play Classic Mode again now I've unlocked everyone but I just instantly jumped off the edge with the platform bit and fast fwded the shmup bit. I just don't understand why they bothered with such low effort incongruous stages. You're probably right though.

The race bit is actually a callback to  a similar mode in previous games. They've always had little quick mini games to break up the fighting, and as I've said many time in this thread, they're never good.

If you think that 15 second race is bad, imagine a 20 hour campaign filled with platforming like that, and you will glimpse the horror of Brawl's single player "Subspace" campaign.

kittens

subspace emissary was great you human turd

madhair60

kittens is right. About the emissary. Not so much about you being a human turd. You're more of a dog egg.

madhair60

I am sorry for calling you a dog egg. Over a videogame of all things. What have I become?

Kelvin

Completed World of Light's "true ending" tonight. On balance, I think's a solid 7 out of 10. Lots of good ideas, decent central mechanic in the spirits, a bunch of stand out areas, good bosses, and some incredible (original) music. It's just far too long, and very, very repetitive.

On the other hand, I played the online tonight and got utterly annihilated by all three people I played against. So maybe grinding against mindless CPU's isn't so bad, after all. I wonder if I've been bumped up a level (like in Splatoon), because I was winning online a lot the other night. I certainly prefer that to this abject humiliation.   

How are people finding the online, by the way? A lot of the community are complaining about it being unstable and not getting the rulesets they like, but in my experience, it mostly runs very smoothly, and with rulesets that very closely match my own.