Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smash Bros Ultimate

Started by The Boston Crab, November 20, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://youtu.be/jX9hbbA-WP4

Utterly incredible Smash documentary here, mostly about the Melee era. I really wish I'd played this game back in the day.

Starting to find the actual game a bit shit now though.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 20, 2018, 07:46:21 PM
Starting to find the actual game a bit shit now though.

The main multiplayer side, too? ie. the main game?

Or just the shit single player stuff?

Not touched the single player at all since I unlocked everyone. Just finding online pretty frustrating really. I don't feel I'm getting any better at all. I tend to do OK with Ken but it's largely just chaotic. If I stay out of the fight, yeah, I might end up with a 1v1 which is good but anything beyond that just seems pretty random.

Kelvin

Have you tried changing your online preferences, so you (mostly) only do 1 v 1 matches, rather than group games? Group matches are great fun, but ultimately not the best way to get good.

Put your settings to 7 minutes, 2 or 3 stock, 1 v 1, no items, either omega, battlefield or no hazards. The game will hopefully match you up with people of a similar level. My guess is it's based on GSP score.

Or come play 1 v 1 matches against me for a bit, and I'll see if I can offer any pointers, either on here, or over the voice app. Whichever you prefer.

I also think it's worth watching some "how to play" videos on youtube, especially for characters you want to learn, like Ken. Some videos can be a bit too technical for beginners, and even long term (but non-pro) players like me, but if you find one for newcomers, you'll quickly learn the core tactics of that character. Consider trying a few other characters, too. Maybe one of the swordfighters, like Lucina, who has a simple strategy to learn (parries, swift attacks, strong smashes), but which can then be adapted to other characters.   

Thanks for the advice, I remember now loads of people ranting about settings and I just ignored that but it's 1v1 which I find most interesting so I'll do as you suggested. I also think I do need to start actually learning some principles and strategy because I do tend to do more damage pretty often but find it hard to finish them off. I also tend to throw away my stock through shit edge play and crap recovery technique. I have been enjoying it a lot but started to bang my head against the wall a bit today and kind of saw through the fun to the total lack of improvement.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 20, 2018, 08:51:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, I remember now loads of people ranting about settings and I just ignored that but it's 1v1 which I find most interesting so I'll do as you suggested.

Yeah, group matches are for fun, but the pro players all play 1 v 1, and that's where the real skill comes into play.

QuoteI also think I do need to start actually learning some principles and strategy because I do tend to do more damage pretty often but find it hard to finish them off.

Are you using Smash Moves? I don't know Ken, but remember that smash moves are the simplest kill moves with most characters, and that down smash, forward smash and up smash are all good in different situations. Other specific moves are good for kills, too. For example, I know that with sword characters, up air attacks are likely to kill at a good percentage. Then you have character specific stuff; eg. up smashes are absolutely lethal as Chrom, compared to his down smashes.

You have to learn the character and their nuances; play them, experiment against a high level CPU in Smash mode, and look up videos online. In fact, the game itself offers a list of specific hints for every character in one of the menus. I used it to work out the mechanics of several characters I'm learning. Also, practice against single CPU's in smash mode, with the settings on stocks, no items, no hazards.   

QuoteI also tend to throw away my stock through shit edge play and crap recovery technique.

Don't. I've never mastered edge play, and it's undoubtedly my biggest weakness in the game. It's also not essential unless you want to get really good at the game. Focus on building up damage and finishing off with smash attacks, etc. Edge guarding is really hard - but if you want one tip, based on my limited success and just watching pros play, use down attacks, to "meteor" strike them down far below the platform.

kittens

got this for chris burger so we playing it tonight, doing world of light. it's fun! but i miss the clips from subspace emissary. i wish i had my own switch

colacentral

I've been playing since Christmas too and had alot I wanted to write about it but could never be arsed.

I've been having a blast online, it's a huge improvement over the Wii U service, which was unplayable - though frustratingly I still get matched up with people playing with items on and regular stages despite having my preferred rules on. I lost to a K. Rool who got a hammer and a smash ball, and who 1-hit KO'd me with the home run bat. He was shite too.

Like a few people said up thread, the balancing is something else. In past versions I've felt like a huge number of fighters are basically useless, but those are pretty much the minority here. I was playing online with Pac-Man alot to begin with, just for a laugh, and he's not half bad once you get into the rhythm of how to use him. I could tell a few people just couldn't get used to someone not playing with the standard swordfighter.

Speaking of the swordfighters, they can still get to fuck. They seem so cheap to play as them and I hate facing them with regular cartoony characters. I'm maining Pikachu, as I have since the N64 version, and I can't find a counter to Lucina at all - a half-decent player using her can't be touched by my Pikachu. I also had an absurd game against an Ike who I smashed off the stage dozens of times at over 100% damage but kept coming back. His recovery is absurd. He lived to well over 200%. Ludicrous.

Pikachu feels a bit heavier than he has for a while, which I like. I'm guessing it's to distinguish him from Pichu, so rather than Pichu being overly light they've given Pikachu a bit more weight, which makes both characters more viable. His Thunder feels like it has less range than in the past though - I feel like the opponent has to be virtually right on top of you to be able to hit them with it, making the risk of using it not worth it most of the time. It means that trying to throw up and follow it with a thunder hardly ever works. I've had a few "how the fuck did that not hit??" moments with it.

The next character I'm thinking of maining is Isabelle. I had a little go with her in single player and she seems really good, surprisingly.

I'd be up for any CaB tournaments or casual pissabouts if anyone else is.

Consignia

My favourite to play has been Pokemon Trainer. The ability to mix playstyles due to them being 3 very different characters in one. I like to start with Squirtle to get some quick attacks and close any distance, then switch to Ivysaur to do some damage and finally move onto to Charizard to his smash thing.

Did finish the adventure mode the other day. It became such a grind towards the end, I just knocked the difficulty down and used boring 4* spirits to grind to the end. The real problem with it is, is that it's just not rewarding to play in any sense.

colacentral

I switched to Mega Man yesterday and now that I've got used to using him he's the man. I finished playing after 8 wins on the bounce today. The leaf shield is amazing once you get the hang of it and punishes both players who rush in and campers. I barely touched him in Smash 4.

The most trouble I've had is against Isabelle as she pockets the projectiles and has that fishing rod with ridiculous range. She's terrifying.

Quote from: Consignia on January 02, 2019, 11:33:40 PM
My favourite to play has been Pokemon Trainer. The ability to mix playstyles due to them being 3 very different characters in one. I like to start with Squirtle to get some quick attacks and close any distance, then switch to Ivysaur to do some damage and finally move onto to Charizard to his smash thing.

Did finish the adventure mode the other day. It became such a grind towards the end, I just knocked the difficulty down and used boring 4* spirits to grind to the end. The real problem with it is, is that it's just not rewarding to play in any sense.

I love Pokemon trainer too but I've killed myself so many times with Squirtle's side-B sending me flying off the stage. Can you cancel or slow that down once it's going? It puts me off using him because I will sometimes crumble under pressure and button mash to get out of a situation, which leads to alot of unintentional self-destructs when you can so easily go that far off the stage, way out of his recovery zone.

Kelvin

Anyone up for a few games today (Sunday)? Either 1v1 or as a group.

And if so, what sort of time suits you?

colacentral

Quote from: Kelvin on January 06, 2019, 02:00:15 AM
Anyone up for a few games today (Sunday)? Either 1v1 or as a group.

And if so, what sort of time suits you?

Hey, sorry if it's short notice, I can get on after 2pm. FC is SW-3750-6215-1624. No worries if you can't be arsed.

Kelvin

Okay, I'll set up a room at 2pm, then.

Kelvin

Items on or off? I don't have a preference really.

colacentral

I prefer off but I don't mind, can do both? I haven't used the arena thing yet so not sure how easy or difficult it is to set up.

Kelvin

It's set up. Anyone else can join too if they like.

colacentral

Kelvin gave me a good trouncing. You have to watch the quiet ones. Though I did for some reason send Pac-Man eating a pill off stage. Some comical play from me there.

It would be good to get a big group game at some point, I missed the last one.

Consignia

I would have joined you, but I just got back from a run and was absolutely knackered. Will join the next one if I can.

Ferris

This all sounds very fun. If I find a spare $80 down the back of the sofa I will buy the game and join in.

Kelvin

Quote from: colacentral on January 06, 2019, 03:31:09 PM
Kelvin gave me a good trouncing. You have to watch the quiet ones. Though I did for some reason send Pac-Man eating a pill off stage. Some comical play from me there.

It would be good to get a big group game at some point, I missed the last one.

That pill moment gave me a huge laugh, because it lost you the match, and when I randomly pressed the message buttons at the end, my character said "congratulations!", which seemed very sarcastic.

Kelvin

Anyone want a few games, either this evening or tomorrow? The more the merrier, obviously.