Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smash Bros Ultimate

Started by The Boston Crab, November 20, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I've looked at the online matchmaking and it's very open to a whole bunch of us jumping in some time. I'm off to bed in a mo, but if I set one up tmw for a set time, do some of you want to come join it? Up to 4 a match, or do people prefer 1 v 1, with others spectating, and swapping out each round?

Fry

I agree with you about Little Mac, Kelvin. Got some lovely speed, some brilliantly fast charged attacks and that 'KO' punch is just fucking killer. At the moment I'm mainly flipping between him, Simon (for when I need a bit more range/air viability. He's also brilliant at zone control.) and Wario (because I'm a twat and he still makes me laugh).

Why does there need to be so many Fire Emblem characters who are all basically the same, has anyone ever actually met anyone who likes Fire Emblem? Baffling. It must be massive in Japan.

Kelvin

Quote from: Fry on December 11, 2018, 03:27:35 AM
I agree with you about Little Mac, Kelvin. Got some lovely speed, some brilliantly fast charged attacks and that 'KO' punch is just fucking killer. At the moment I'm mainly flipping between him, Simon (for when I need a bit more range/air viability. He's also brilliant at zone control.) and Wario (because I'm a twat and he still makes me laugh).

Why does there need to be so many Fire Emblem characters who are all basically the same, has anyone ever actually met anyone who likes Fire Emblem? Baffling. It must be massive in Japan.

're. Fire emblem
No, it's because the game director loves the series.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Kelvin on December 10, 2018, 11:57:33 PM
I've looked at the online matchmaking and it's very open to a whole bunch of us jumping in some time. I'm off to bed in a mo, but if I set one up tmw for a set time, do some of you want to come join it? Up to 4 a match, or do people prefer 1 v 1, with others spectating, and swapping out each round?

I'll be around from sevenish to tenish but am pretty terrible at this game at the moment!

I think I am already friends with most folk here, (6132-2315-2538), my nickname is Moldy Warp.

Kelvin

I'll set a game up for 8 and will hang around for 10 to 15 minutes to see if anyone turns up.

Do people prefer items on or off? Itq levels the playing field a lot, but off is the best way to learn the charachters.

And don't worry about being bad at the game, I can set rules so that less experienced players have more matchups. With a few of us, that will match us up better.

madhair60

How do you even get a game going with friends? I DON'T KNOWWWW.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on December 11, 2018, 02:16:13 PM
How do you even get a game going with friends? I DON'T KNOWWWW.
Nintendo absolutely refuses to let anybody know. They would prefer it if nobody ever contacted anybody else.

Kelvin

You go into the Arena mode, and either make one or join a friend's arena.

Kelvin

Just a reminder that I'll be making one of these just before 8 and will keep it open for 10-15 minutes to see if anyone turns up.

As it's a first try, I don't know exactly how it works. I don't even know if you can alter ruleset while it's active. Sure it will be fun, though.

Mighty Atom

How's everybody getting on with collecting Spirits? Reached the 500+ milestone today. I'm by no means the most strategic player, but I'm tonking along quite nicely now with Link, Ness's Father, and a Level 99 Kawashima Devil. It feels like I've come a long way without learning how to grab, dodge or block properly. Didn't even hit too many brick walls until I got to fucking Funky Kong. The only way I beat that one was by turning the difficulty down, and even then it took near 11 gos.

The one thing I'm not enjoying at all is the wheel challenge. It's a frustrating and pointless step to add to the process and just makes the idea of using the Spirit Board a lot less fun. There's no way I'm hitting a Legend Spirit except by accident (which is exactly what happened when I lucked into Mecha-Fiora). Might as well summon them, or wait for them to appear in the shops.

Kelvin, I'll jump in for as long as I can but I'm waiting for my wife to finish some work and then we're watching Apprentice or something so I might end up buggering off suddenly.

Kelvin

No worries, Bosto. Play for however long you can.

It's active now. Enter online, arenas, friends, then join the group, I assume. Got items off for now, but if I disappear, try rejoining and see if rules have changed

Fuck's sakes, sounds like the biggest shittest lie but our Internet is down! Annoying as fuck. I'm trying to sort it now by refreshing router etc.

Fixed!

All y'all bearing a lifetime of grudges, bring it on, bring the pain, suffer, now's your time, not a moment too soon, all y'alls lifetime of hurt, let it out on old Bosty, time to taste the ecstasy of getting beats.

For an expert, Kelvin sure falls off a lot ;-)

madhair60

HOW DO I CHANGE CHARACTER WHY AM I MARIO

Lot of input lag at my end guys, can't seem to explain these beats

Similarly inexplicable why I keep jumping off the fucking edge.

madhair60

I GET SO FUCKING MAD FIGHTING CHROM

ALL HIS MOVES FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE PRIORITY IT'S BULLSHIT
CHROM IS BANNED

Twice in two rounds I killed myself in a 1v1 with Kelvin by sailing to my doom under no pressure. No self respect 

madhair60

I should have quit while I was ahead

Lads, sorry to quit on a win, wankers etiquette but I have been summoned. Last round was unbearably tense. Great fun. Let's do it again soon!

And real talk, that was easily the most fun I've had with the game outside local co-op on the first night. I'd be well up for another one in the next couple of weeks. ETT's Mario is a little shit, so well played. Very much enjoyed madhair's K. Rool projectile game and Kelvin's Ridley and Ganon were scary.

That was a laugh, thank you people. Glad I wasn't as easily trounced as I feared although occasionally the gulf in class became apparent. Good night!

Consignia

I didn't want to be Inkling twice, I had no clue what their moves were.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 11, 2018, 09:20:09 PM
And real talk, that was easily the most fun I've had with the game outside local co-op on the first night. I'd be well up for another one in the next couple of weeks. ETT's Mario is a little shit, so well played. Very much enjoyed madhair's K. Rool projectile game and Kelvin's Ridley and Ganon were scary.

Ridley and ganon are one's I'm learning. It's Chrom I'm best with. And usually Little Mac, when I'm not on a scrolling level I need to keep jumping around. Cant believe with nearly 100 stages, we got three shit Mario scrollers, one of them twice.

I thought everyone was playing well by the end. Bosto in particular went from constantly setting himself up for Smash attacks, to being quite tactical, and I think everyone won at least 3 times each.

Maybe try a different ruleset next time? Chargeable final smashes? Items on? Or do people prefer the setup tonight?

I'll set one up in a couple of days, if you want. Might as well do it while we're all into the game and playing it regularly.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on December 11, 2018, 09:25:27 PM
I didn't want to be Inkling twice, I had no clue what their moves were.

The first time you trounced us. I had no idea that her ink did that much damage when paired with hits. And I was cursing that roller.

Consignia

Yeah I could see you getting wise to the Roller.

It was great fun, even though I did just invade the session in the end. I'm still getting used to the game, and not really found a character I can get into yet. I'm using Marth in spirits mode.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 11, 2018, 09:20:09 PM

I ought to work out how to play as someone other than Mario. I used to play as him all the time on the last version I played of this, well over a decade ago, and I seemed to subconsciously remember what to do. I'm still awful with everyone else.

That crocodile cunt is a cunt.

Kelvin:

Yeah, I didn't feel I was anywhere near you when you were Chrom, to be honest, we were barely playing the same game! I started to get into it once I stuck with Ryu for a bit, really enjoyed those fights, it's mad playing in that context using SF inputs. Might have had a couple of closer ones too had I not suicided from fright when we were last men standing. Definitely learned a good deal from all you guys tonight and I saw the benefits of playing a more patient game, keeping distance and focusing on anti-air punishes. Basically just normal Ryu! One thing I did find in particular is that your defence is really solid, so at close range I always felt vulnerable. I need to really work on block and dodge.

I'd be up for same again but also very happy to go full items and smash bars definitely, full fat chaos experience. Can even do half and half, quick message in here to say you're creating a new arena, etc.

Only thing for me really is I've got a mad shit week ahead and I'll be away from Thursday so I might struggle to get involved even if I am around because I'll likely be on hotel WiFi. Any day next week though I'm there. Thanks for setting it up tonight, defo up for another.