Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Words your partner doesn’t know

Started by Twit 2, November 20, 2018, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Or vice versa.

Mrs Twit is learning Spanish. She was conjugating 'bebir' and I said, use 'imbibe' to help you remember what it means. Blank. Never heard the word 'imbibe'. Divorce. On the malapropism front she sometimes confuses 'refuse' and 'refuge'. Grave.

Isnt Anything

Oh i could win this thread if i ever were mean enough to keep a list.

Although even i was shocked the other day when i mentioned about the supposed end of 'austerity' only to get 'will you bloody well speak English ?' yelled at me.

jobotic

Bah misread the thread title.

garnish

My husband Carl was unaware of the true meaning of scat until recently.

Twed

Terrible date once. Partner read the menu and saw that an entree contained a "pepper melange". She asked the server what "melange" was and they both didn't know, suggesting it might be a special way of preparing peppers. I felt like it would be too dickish to interject.

Icehaven

Compère. I used it the other day, he thought I was saying compare, much confusion ensued, wished I'd just said host.

Queneau

My ex used to pronounce "rant" in a way that rhymed with "can't" (as in rarnt). It used to annoy me a bit but now I'd love to hear it.

RDRR

Refused to believe substantive was a word once and thought I was being an idiot, trying to say 'substantial'

Anyway from what I remember I was using it sort of wrong anyway, and my partner is much cleverer than me in every conceivable way. Yours probably are too f*ckers

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Queneau on November 20, 2018, 07:26:41 PM
My ex used to pronounce "rant" in a way that rhymed with "can't" (as in rarnt). It used to annoy me a bit but now I'd love to hear it.

*tears*

Shit Good Nose

Mrs Nose:  Albas oil.
Me:  Olbas oil.
Mrs Nose:  Albas oil.
Me:  OL...OL...Olbas oil (points at bottle)
Mrs Nose:  (stares at me like I'm eating a dog egg)
Me:  (put the bottle down and walk off)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I've introduced Clowne-parlance so there is an innate understanding of a belmert, for example. And no questions asked or required over what is a rotundoforsk.

pigamus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 20, 2018, 08:16:57 PM
*tears*

Somebody on a recent episode of HIGNFY (Jo Brand?) pronounced 'posthumous' the way it's written. My ex-fiancee used to take the piss out of me for doing that, about 15 years ago. Did she pick up on it, and think of me? Probably she did.

Married with two kids now.   

Queneau

Quote from: pigamus on November 20, 2018, 08:31:24 PM
Somebody on a recent episode of HIGNFY (Jo Brand?) pronounced 'posthumous' the way it's written. My ex-fiancee used to take the piss out of me for doing that, about 15 years ago. Did she pick up on it, and think of me? Probably she did.

I have moments like this sometimes, when I think about whether they (an other) has seen/read/heard the same thing I have and it they have connected it to how we used to be. It's beautiful and crushing at the same time - for me, at least.

Brian Freeze

An old girlfriend thought twat translated exactly as idiot and used it quite freely the first time she met my mum and dad.

Mister Six

Quote from: pigamus on November 20, 2018, 08:31:24 PM

I still pronounce review as "reeview", not "ruhview". Ah, you may chortle, but you pronounce "preview" "pruhview"?

Checkmate.

duck

I'm usually the one who falls foul of this. The fact of the matter is the boyfriend is much cleverer than me in every conceivable way and I'm a duck.

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on November 21, 2018, 01:36:10 AM
I still pronounce review as "reeview", not "ruhview".
Isn't ruhview just the slovenly way of saying review? Nothing wrong about the way you say it.

My ex partner from years ago refused to accept that the expression 'damp squib' wasn't 'damp squid' ('cos squid live in the sea and they're all wet so it makes sense and there's no such thing as a squib anyway apparently) Even when I got the dictionary out she wouldn't have it. She was a Biology teacher but refused to read a book that wasn't related to her chosen discipline or watch the news or even look at a newspaper so the relationship didn't last long. She still remains the only one of my exes who instigated being fucked up the arse without any encouragement on my part though, so she has that if nothing else.

im barry bethel

My nurse is always doing this to me. I'd always called a mille feuille a posh custard slice, had no idea what an amuse bouche or entremets was (I suppose that's the difference between growing up in Bounds Green and Southall). Where I draw the line is her telling me I'm about to fall asleep because she can hear my respiration dropping

Twit 2

Quote from: undergroundcow75 on November 21, 2018, 04:05:21 AM
She was a Biology teacher but refused to read a book that wasn't related to her chosen discipline... still remains the only one of my exes who instigated being fucked up the arse without any encouragement on my part though

All that biology knowledge paid off.

The verb is actually 'beber'. Is it too late now to say sorry?

Twit 2

Whoops. The point still stands about imbibe. I am let off the hook cos foreign words don't count. Even when you have an A level in Spanish.

im barry bethel

famethrowa

Bazooka

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 21, 2018, 07:44:17 AM
Housework, apparently.

Brilliant.

My love is Chinese so quite a few of course, but I consider her fluent in English, my lack of Chinese knowledge is of course just a drop in the ocean comparatively.

Stupid fucking cunt was the best thing I taught her.

SteveDave

My wife pronounced "segue" as "seeg"

I forgot the word forearm about a year ago and instead said "arm calf"

thenoise

Can't pronounce 'antibiotics'. She's a doctor.

KennyMonster

Quote from: undergroundcow75 on November 21, 2018, 04:05:21 AM
My ex partner from years ago refused to accept that the expression 'damp squib' wasn't 'damp squid' ('cos squid live in the sea and they're all wet so it makes sense and there's no such thing as a squib anyway apparently) Even when I got the dictionary out she wouldn't have it. She was a Biology teacher but refused to read a book that wasn't related to her chosen discipline or watch the news or even look at a newspaper so the relationship didn't last long. She still remains the only one of my exes who instigated being fucked up the arse without any encouragement on my part though, so she has that if nothing else.

Was it the attempted bout of back door love that lead her to say "well that was a bit of a damp squid"?