Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What NOT to do in Dublin

Started by BlodwynPig, November 21, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Not to Do in Dublin

Fuck a Leprechaun
2 (33.3%)
Shit in an Irishman's Guinness
2 (33.3%)
Uilleann Pipe as a wank sock
1 (16.7%)
Bum The Pope
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 27, 2018, 12:34:00 AM

Calistan

Avoid Temple Bar. Try some of the Long Hall, Dawson's Lounge, The Confession Box, John Fallon's, Mulligans and the Palace Bar. My friend informs me the Teeling Distillery is worth a look.

Slightly off the beaten track recommendation - see the corpses and crypts of St Michan's. Went here a few months ago without really hearing anything of it and it was great. I think tours are quite limited but definitely worth the fiver.

BlodwynPig

it's Euros isn't it over there. Christ.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: buttgammon on November 22, 2018, 12:04:51 AM
Don't bother with the Book of Kells; it's pretty, but it's expensive to get in and you'll be queuing for ages.

Agreed. The film was way better.

Bronzy

Malcy

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Quote from: buttgammon on November 22, 2018, 12:04:51 AM
Don't bother with the Book of Kells; it's pretty, but it's expensive to get in and you'll be queuing for ages.

That was one of the things that bummed me out when I was in Dublin last year for the first time in a decade. Used the be the Books of Kells was sat in a glass box at the end of the Long Room, with maybe two people looking at it. It used to be where you went for a bit of peace and quiet.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 22, 2018, 05:01:50 PM
That was one of the things that bummed me out when I was in Dublin last year for the first time in a decade. Used the be the Books of Kells was sat in a glass box at the end of the Long Room, with maybe two people looking at it. It used to be where you went for a bit of peace and quiet.

Blame Jeff Bezos.

Ferris

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 22, 2018, 05:16:53 PM
Blame Jeff Bezos.

I was there in 2006(?) with a friend who was desperate to see it because they were doing an art history degree and focusing on book restoration (because that's who I hang around with). Place was empty. Nobody cared mate. Old book mate? Nah mate.

buttgammon

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 22, 2018, 05:01:50 PM

Seeing crowds of tourists in a library is bizarre. Admittedly, it is one of the most beautiful libraries in the world, but it still seems a bit of a weird attraction.

If any of you ever find yourself going to see the Book of Kells, make sure you go to the right place and don't try to get in via the more modern library. Loads of gormless tourists do this, and it drives the staff and students mad. It's such a problem that the meanest security guard in the college - Librocop - is almost always on duty to shout at them. The campus is a nice place, though, and I'd highly recommend taking a walk around there at least.

Buelligan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 21, 2018, 03:55:13 PM
Don't go to any museum without buying tickets in advance, you won't get in.

Not sure that's completely right.  I wandered into and around The National Museum of Ireland (Archaeology bit) for hours virtually alone when I was there last winter - no queuing or anything.  Twice to the National Gallery, just walked right in without so much as a bye or leave.  It was bloody great, saw an unexpected WWI war artist thing there - William Orpen - just by chance (I am obsessed by this subject), tremendously satisfactory.  Didn't bother with the Book of Kells, 14€ IIRC, which is far too rich for my blood and I reckoned, having been herded around the Uffizi and the Book of Kells only being one book, I might get a bit irritated if I was forced into a funeral-type march past.  And I suspected that's exactly what they had in mind.

I love Dublin and am jealous as all hell.  Watch the moon rise over the water.  I would marry Dublin.

BlodwynPig

Coincidentally there is a massive full moon outside as I type this. Never seen it so big, I can see it's tonsils.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Buelligan on November 22, 2018, 11:07:23 PM
Not sure that's completely right.  I wandered into and around The National Museum of Ireland (Archaeology bit) for hours virtually alone when I was there last winter - no queuing or anything.  Twice to the National Gallery, just walked right in without so much as a bye or leave.  It was bloody great, saw an unexpected WWI war artist thing there - William Orpen - just by chance (I am obsessed by this subject), tremendously satisfactory.  Didn't bother with the Book of Kells, 14€ IIRC, which is far too rich for my blood and I reckoned, having been herded around the Uffizi and the Book of Kells only being one book, I might get a bit irritated if I was forced into a funeral-type march past.  And I suspected that's exactly what they had in mind.

I love Dublin and am jealous as all hell.  Watch the moon rise over the water.  I would marry Dublin.

That's true. There's no charge for the National History Museum. A few others too, if I remember. Go to the Botanic Gardens if that floats your boat. I think there's an art exhibition on there currently. Free in.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Grab a train down the coast to Bray. If you fancy a top feed in town, St Michaels Merrion is a recommendation.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Buelligan on November 22, 2018, 11:07:23 PM
Not sure that's completely right.  I wandered into and around The National Museum of Ireland (Archaeology bit) for hours virtually alone when I was there last winter - no queuing or anything.  Twice to the National Gallery, just walked right in without so much as a bye or leave.

Same! I've been twice (both a Sunday) and have been able to just swan in, and it was fairly quiet both times. Love it, definitely worth checking out.

As Duck said, go to the Lighthouse Cinema, it's great. Plus the Cobblestone pub is right by it too, definitely give that one a go. Brilliant music and even while that's on, at the right time of day shouldn't be too busy.

Also, another "no" to Temple Bar on the whole. Slap bang in the middle of it is utter shit bollocks, an overpriced tourist trap as some people have already said here. If you get dragged into any of the pubs right in the middle of it all, chances are you'll just end up stuck in a huge scrum of tourists unable to have a conversation while some tit in a pork pie hat taking himself way too seriously over-sings an acoustic Killers cover while you sip a 6-7 quid pint of Guinness "BECAUSE IT TASTES SO MUCH BETTER IN DUBLIN!!!1"

Having said that, The Palace Bar is right at the end of Temple Bar (on Fleet Street and I think they make a point of not saying they're in Temple Bar) obviously it can get really busy but in past experience it's a quickish turnaround and once you're in you're not waiting long for a place to sit. I think it's like a quid cheaper per pint than down the street and also late mornings it's empty and well worth going there for a quiet one. Also the Whiskey Palace upstairs is good.
The Porterhouse at the opposite end of Temple Bar is a nice building and has a huge selection of beers but they're a chain I think so you can go to one of the other ones away from Temple Bar.

If you like Guinness do the factory tour on a weekday morning. Went with visiting friends on a Saturday afternoon and couldn't move. Worth it for the view from the rooftop bar. Plus usually there are people posing for a photo with their free pint who then take their first ever sip and hate it, so if you're not fussy you can spend a good hour or so there being offered people's unwanted fresh pints.....

Howth's lovely on a nice day. Not far on the Dart.

Buelligan

The Dart's great, I was going to recommend it down to Bray or Greystones, because the sea, just looking at it.  Some beauty right there.  Up to Howth would be just as good, I'm sure but I've never done it.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 22, 2018, 11:45:47 PM
Coincidentally there is a massive full moon outside as I type this. Never seen it so big, I can see it's tonsils.

That's the Beaver's Moon you're looking at apparently.  Biggest night's tonight.  My walk home last night was like walking in a black and white photo of a summer's day, everything clear and bright, high clouds over the mountains, I had a shadow, the light changed when the moon was hidden.  I could see the boar rollocking about like daytime.  Beaver's Moon.

buttgammon

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 23, 2018, 12:09:28 AM
That's true. There's no charge for the National History Museum. A few others too, if I remember. Go to the Botanic Gardens if that floats your boat. I think there's an art exhibition on there currently. Free in.

Yeah, most of the museums and galleries are free, and I'd recommend them above the Book of Kells for that alone. I was in Amsterdam during the summer and had a weekend of looking at art planned but when I saw the queues, prices and complex ticketing systems, I went off and spent a couple of days getting high instead. Never underestimate the joy of a free museum!

As for Guinness, it seems particularly nice in Grogans for some reason. That's a pub I would really recommend, a good old-school place that doesn't have music, wankery or even a card machine (though they do have an ATM in the corner).

Buelligan

Quote from: buttgammon on November 23, 2018, 09:53:21 AM
Yeah, most of the museums and galleries are free, and I'd recommend them above the Book of Kells for that alone. I was in Amsterdam during the summer and had a weekend of looking at art planned but when I saw the queues, prices and complex ticketing systems, I went off and spent a couple of days getting high instead. Never underestimate the joy of a free museum!

Although, in Amsterdam, you can see the Quinces, Lemons, Pears and Grapes, something I love and worth queuing for, IMO.  Although I saw it alone by happenstance, which was very nice.

EOLAN

Inspired by the "Another Thread About Racism". Do not go to Fairview Park; particularly the South Western corner and attempt to decapitate the head of the statue of IRA leader and Nazi collaborator Sean Russell. 

Buelligan

I probably don't know enough about Seán Russell to judge fairly but I couldn't leave that

Quote from: EOLAN on November 23, 2018, 10:47:07 AM
Nazi collaborator

Just lying there.  IMO, and it is only my opinion, I think he was a perhaps rather uncomplicated individual.  Some people view him as a communist, others as a Nazi, I'm thinking, on balance, he was likely just a desperate, naive, man who wanted to get the British out of his country by any means necessary and had some tigers by the tail that he imagined he could train or at least use.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Lest we forget, history is written by the victors, Victor.

Buelligan

Roger, Roger (not Casement, obvs).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 23, 2018, 09:45:08 AM
The Dart's great, I was going to recommend it down to Bray or Greystones, because the sea, just looking at it.  Some beauty right there.  Up to Howth would be just as good, I'm sure but I've never done it.

That's the Beaver's Moon you're looking at apparently.  Biggest night's tonight.  My walk home last night was like walking in a black and white photo of a summer's day, everything clear and bright, high clouds over the mountains, I had a shadow, the light changed when the moon was hidden.  I could see the boar rollocking about like daytime.  Beaver's Moon.

*did you take pictures of the boar playing under the beaver moon?*

wot!nocamera?

Bronzy

Quote from: Buelligan on November 23, 2018, 11:32:19 AM
I probably don't know enough about Seán Russell to judge fairly but I couldn't leave that

Just lying there.  IMO, and it is only my opinion, I think he was a perhaps rather uncomplicated individual.  Some people view him as a communist, others as a Nazi, I'm thinking, on balance, he was likely just a desperate, naive, man who wanted to get the British out of his country by any means necessary and had some tigers by the tail that he imagined he could train or at least use.

Yes, so he was a Nazi collaborator then.

As in he literally collaborated with Nazis.

Buelligan

Sorry, yes, I forgot.  For those of you watching in black and white, the brown is the ball directly behind the pink.

Yeah, no camera to capture the gallivanting, soz Blods, you should've heard them snorting with surprise and outrage when they realised I was rubbernecking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Getting the Dart to Howth is a great idea for an afternoon out - fabulous cliffside coastal walk and fish and chips.

But as this is something to do it deserves no place in this thread.

Err...

...Don't shout, "you know what I reckon would help you micks? Home Rule" at a one of them

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on November 23, 2018, 12:27:05 PM
Sorry, yes, I forgot.  For those of you watching in black and white, the brown is the ball directly behind the pink.

Yeah, no camera to capture the gallivanting, soz Blods, you should've heard them snorting with surprise and outrage when they realised I was rubbernecking.

Well, he trained in explosives with the SS and agreed to ship Ireland's Jews to Germany in exchange for liberating Ireland from the British.

Whether or not he was complicated seems pretty irrelevant in the circumstances.

Buelligan

I thought he trained (in ordnance) with the Abwehr, not the SS, with a view to disseminating that knowledge at home and attacking the British.  Had no knowledge of his agreement to ship Irish Jews to Germany (presumably for extermination), as I said, I don't know enough about him to judge him, I'd be very interested to learn more though, can you give me a link?

pancreas

This has taken a very strange turn, or is it just me?

Paul Calf

Heh. Collaborating with Nazis to kill Irish Jewish civilians = bad

Collaborating with Nazis to kill British civilians = cigs.