Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:36:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What NOT to do in Dublin

Started by BlodwynPig, November 21, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Not to Do in Dublin

Fuck a Leprechaun
2 (33.3%)
Shit in an Irishman's Guinness
2 (33.3%)
Uilleann Pipe as a wank sock
1 (16.7%)
Bum The Pope
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 27, 2018, 12:34:00 AM

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 24, 2018, 09:33:50 AM
Heh. Collaborating with Nazis to kill Irish Jewish civilians = bad

Collaborating with Nazis to kill British civilians = cigs.

Evidence and context though?  Are these things important or are we choosing to keep watching in black and white?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on November 24, 2018, 09:36:40 AM
Evidence and context though?  Are these things important or are we choosing to keep watching in black and white?

Spies in Ireland, Enno Stephan. His liaison officer while in Nazi Germany was Standartenfuhrer Edmund Veesenmayer.

I'm quite amazed that you're spending so much time attempting to justify the murder of civilians. What context can possibly excuse detonating bombs in heavily-populated areas?

Buelligan

That's a question for all bombers and war-makers everywhere isn't it?  For my part, now, I don't think I ever would.  Nevertheless, having seen something of the world and how it goes, I understand that people with other life experiences to my own, who have been less lucky than me, have done these things and some are viewed as heroes.  Terrible deeds and terrible decisions are often made by the circumstances surrounding them and it does no good at all to view or judge them without considering those circumstances.  Hopefully, then, we can avoid allowing those circumstances to develop again.

MoonDust

Crikey, I picked the wrong time to finally dip into this thread to offer some touristic advice.

As you were.

*tips hat

buttgammon

I'm yet to hear a defence of Russell that doesn't invoke some kind of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic, which seems pretty ironic considering that's precisely the sort of mentality that accompanied British colonialism everywhere, including some of the horrific acts committed and condoned by the British army in Northern Ireland. There was a profoundly anti-Semitic streak in Ireland in that period (despite the best efforts of de Valera, who I'm no fan of but must credit here, both for using the constitution to protect minorities and for ensuring Ireland took in some Jewish refugees against the political consensus) and thugs like Russell played on anti-British sentiment to try and weave their racism into the national narratives that were being developed at the time. There is a certain logic to Irish neutrality in WWII, but those who saw it as an opportunity for collaboration were despicable.

Bronzy

Bloody people these days, you work with Nazis once and all of a sudden you're a "Nazi collaborator", whatever on earth that means.

Ferris

Quote from: pancreas on November 24, 2018, 07:24:37 AM
This has taken a very strange turn, or is it just me?

In fairness, joining the nazis or having these discussions in public are all things not to do in Dublin so we're still on topic here.

Depressed Beyond Tables

800 years of hurt.

P.s. Go to the Ilac center.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 24, 2018, 06:04:52 AM
Getting the Dart to Howth is a great idea for an afternoon out - fabulous cliffside coastal walk and fish and chips.

But as this is something to do it deserves no place in this thread.

Err...

...Don't shout, "you know what I reckon would help you micks? Home Rule" at a one of them

Turns out I arrive in the evening and leave the next afternoon. So whistle stop to the max. Maybe just have a whisky and a walk in a shopping centre and get on my way.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 24, 2018, 06:14:49 AM
Well, he trained in explosives with the SS and agreed to ship Ireland's Jews to Germany in exchange for liberating Ireland from the British.

Whether or not he was complicated seems pretty irrelevant in the circumstances.

No I did not, libellous!

BlodwynPig

In Dublin now. Very middle class. Not done owt of interest. Walked miles to do nowt. Drank in Brazen Head or whatever its called. That was lovely and cosy

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2018, 10:16:31 PMIn Dublin now. Very middle class. Not done owt of interest. Walked miles to do nowt. Drank in Brazen Head or whatever its called. That was lovely and cosy

We could meet up if I get a chance Blodders!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2018, 10:16:31 PM
In Dublin now. Very middle class. Not done owt of interest. Walked miles to do nowt. Drank in Brazen Head or whatever its called. That was lovely and cosy

Tsk, worst and most expensive pint of my trip, touristy with joyless London-like service.

Pub itself was probably really good 10+ years earlier, nice spaces.

Paul Calf

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 17, 2018, 08:01:20 AM
Do they have session ales?

They had one called Grumpy Bald Yorkshire Git

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Glebe on December 17, 2018, 01:19:15 AM
We could meet up if I get a chance Blodders!

I was thinking if you as i looked at the leprechaun museum.

Sadly jetting off this evening and wife has iron grip on plans. Viking, library, irish coffee, yawn

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Jockice

Try not to go behind a building in the city centre for a slash, get distracted by a woman coming down a metal spiral staircase you're leaning against and fall onto your back while still pissing, only now upwards. And what comes up goes down. Then for added fun try to get a taxi back to your hotel so you can get showered and changed

Not that anything of the sort has ever happened to me. Of course.

king_tubby

Don't go to the cinema and watch The Phantom Menace. I did that when I went to Dublin once, and it was shite.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

3 fucking bus tours along same route...diminishing returns...wacky santa on last

Buelligan

Go to the National Gallery.  Stop fucking about. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 17, 2018, 04:27:29 PM
Go to the National Gallery.  Stop fucking about.

Plane to catch. Gallery closed mondays

BlodwynPig

Brexist means Brexist.

Why do Irish people when they speak Irish sound like jihadi and not Irish. Also some kids calling my wife's friend Saxxxy.

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 17, 2018, 09:33:11 AMI was thinking if you as i looked at the leprechaun museum.

Sadly jetting off this evening and wife has iron grip on plans. Viking, library, irish coffee, yawn

Next time, mate.

Here's The Dubliner's Dublin for anyone who's wondering what That Dublin is like.... or was like, rather, back at the arse-end of the 1980's when this was filumed. Quite a nostalgic watch for me, that. Sniff.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 17, 2018, 05:09:06 PM
some kids calling my wife's friend Saxxxy.

Does she look like Kenny G?