Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

On the 22nd Nov 93...

Started by Norton Canes, November 22, 2018, 03:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

...an event was to happen of such earth-shattering proportions that it was to shatter the earth to its very proportions"

And it's still the funniest single television comedy ever made. Seemed appropriate to celebrate its anniversary on the date of the poptabulous duo's resignation, rather than its actual air date of 4th Apr 94.

Smashie & Nicey - The End Of An Era

On the face of it, Radio 1 today seems ridiculously different from the spavined institution this programme parodied. But in a deliciously ironic twist of deliciously ironic magnitude, today is the very day one of Nicey and Smashie's greatest role models enters the public arena to once again peddle the kind of sanctimonious bluster that they so accurately lampooned.

He'll have some way to go to beat Mike Smash and Dave Nice, though.

"Got that, Greece?". "Will you always be my best friend..?". "You would not BELIEVE the complaints that show got". And, of course, "bucking horse".

I wonder if he ever did get to do a Top Gear?

neveragain

One of the best mockumentaries ever made, some spot-on parodies and general cynicism offset by great character detail and pathos.

SteveDave

Bad Ambassador

He's left me.... in the bloody shit.

petril

BUCKIN' HORSE
yeah there is kenco everywhere and this will be an expensive cleanup

"Hello, Diana, I'm Prince Charles, your husband, and as heir to the throne, I demand to see your boobies."

"Ello, 'ello, 'ello, what's all this here then... going on then?"

"Serious rock and seriously popular, good old Dave Nice."

"Pop-a-doodle-doo, who's your friend, Nicey?"

"I've got a bloody stitch!"

"You don't say that! You don't say that!!"

"Welcome to Top Of The Pops, and do we have a surprise for you." "That's right, we're hunchbacks!" "The bells, the bells!" *Savile-ish noise* "Sanctuary!"

I could quote it forever. It could be the most perfect 45 mins of comedy ever made. To take such broad catchphrase characters as they were and deploy them in something not just hysterically funny but also so moving, nuanced and deep is a remarkable achievement.

SteveDave

I also loved Smashie trying to shake the black security guards hand as they're leaving Fab FM.

And Nicey dropping the horn as he hails the taxi. Making that forlorn bouncy honk noise.

Craig Charles honks a horn during the intro of his 6 Music show each week and I always imagine him bouncing up and down on his chair, staring into the middle distance as he does it.

Norton Canes

The marmalade monologue. My word.

ajsmith2

Don't you wish you'd had a childhood.... like mine?

That crumpled dead-eyed grimace as he says that line. One of my favourite moments in anything ever.

New friends join them from the sky,
No longer pit-patter, pit-patter 'pon the pavement.
But pudd pudd pudd,
As they join the puddle party.

The flushed, proud look on his face when he closes the poetry book. Amazing.

ajsmith2

It also shows almost pre-cognitively fortunate good taste in avoiding directly parodying or referring to Savile in any way, as far as I recall, despite nearly everything else about Radio 1 getting the treatment. I wonder if his omission was due to them already getting an unpleasant vibe off him back then. Or maybe he was just seen as too obvious game, I dunno. His omission is striking though, but it only helps ensure it remain the flawless, timeless masterpiece it is imo.

Bobtoo

I stopped listening to Radio 1 about 20 years ago but I caught a bit of Nick Grimshaw's breakfast show when he had just taken over. He was banging on about Glastonbury and The Rolling Stones, which seemed odd to me, because I heard he'd been brought in to appeal to the younger generation. I don't think that much has changed since the Smashie and Nicey days.

dr beat

Worth taking I note think of the DJs who were happy to send themselves up - David Kid Jensen, Fluff Freeman, John Peel and Tony Blackburn.

neveragain

Worth pointing out there are two versions of this flying about, as evidenced by this article...
http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2013/10/smashie-and-nicey-the-end-of-an-era/

Think this is the other version here - if not, it's still got the ending which is missed off the OP's vid:
https://vimeo.com/85725961

Norton Canes

non capisco

"(..and a sort of swearing crescendo) On the ruddy rotten dole!"

The Blue Peter bit with Nicey getting hoofed in the bollocks by Freddie and the Dreamers is something I will never tire of watching.

Phil_A

On a technical level it's amazing how convincing the "inserting into old programs" bits are for 1993, even down to the detail of Nicey's shadow when he's dancing with Freddie & The Dreamers. No idea how they pulled that off so well.

non capisco

Quote from: Phil_A on November 23, 2018, 12:38:14 AM
On a technical level it's amazing how convincing the "inserting into old programs" bits are for 1993, even down to the detail of Nicey's shadow when he's dancing with Freddie & The Dreamers. No idea how they pulled that off so well.

The Sex Pistols/Bill Grundy bit is flawless as well.

"My next question to you Mr. Rotten is will you say 'shit' for this wad of money?"
"Shit."

dr beat

Thinking on, I know the good folk at Chart Music Podcast are looking to branch out. I'd love to hear their take on this.

magval

This is probably the best thing I'd not known about before joining this forum.

What else you fuckers hiding?

PaulTMA

Quote from: Bobtoo on November 22, 2018, 09:00:38 PM
Fluff had already been in one of the sketches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XyWygGeqQ

Plus he joined them when he was Kurt from Nirvana promoting their album The Rolf Harris Songbook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1VOQk7xbUw

ColinPopshed

Quote from: neveragain on November 22, 2018, 03:28:22 PM
One of the best mockumentaries ever made, some spot-on parodies and general cynicism offset by great character detail and pathos.

Couldn't put it better.

neveragain

Ta! I really do love it. Enfield's other mocku's (Norbert Smith, Norman Ormal, Story of The Two's) are outstanding but this just has something, maybe it's the heart. That said, it's much easier to sympathise with Smashie than Nicey.