Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lion King 2019

Started by Default to the negative, November 23, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg

If this were really happening, what would you think? Perhaps you wouldn't be that surprised.

Jerzy Bondov

They're saying this is 'live action'. Is it fuck. They're CGI. Old school Disney would have used real lions. They would have horribly mistreated and visibly sad but at least they would be live action, at least until the cameras went off at which point they would be shot dead.

Shit Good Nose

To be fair Favreau's live action/CGI Jungle Book remake, whilst fairly pointless, was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  Could've done without the songs, mind.

I'd grown out of Disney's largely dramatic "MESSAGE AND PERIL!!!!!!!!!" films by the time The Lion King came out, so it's not one that I've ever felt particularly precious about.

Replies From View

Yes I think they're a bit cheeky calling these "live action".  Adding real actors to Pixar films wouldn't create live action films.

DukeDeMondo

Yeah. It's the notion of "Live Action" itself that's being rebooted with these bloody things, is what I would say about them.

Photo-realistic, is what they mean, really, isn't it? Photo-realistic. Tiger-man are all look the same as real ones now.

Anyway I have no great interest in seeing this or the new Dumbo or the new Aladdin, even though I thought Real Live Jungle Book was fantastic, and Real Live Beauty And The Beast was pretty good.

I will see them, doubtless. And I guess maybe Aladdin might be fun. Who the fuck knows.

I also liked the live-action Jungle Book thing, but don't really fancy this, sorry.

Jerzy Bondov

Real Live Pete's Dragon is superb. I wouldn't give that up to get rid of this shite, so crack on.

Nowhere Man

There's no real reason for them to exist beyond money purposes is there? I think what surprises me is how so many people fall for these remakes time and time again, the old Lion King only came out in the mid-90s. 

Eh, I don't even care enough to even be annoyed or anything, it just comes across as soulless from the trailer.

biggytitbo

John Oliver? What part does he play, a talking pile of steaming elephant dung?

olliebean

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 23, 2018, 11:00:22 PM
John Oliver? What part does he play, a talking pile of steaming elephant dung?

He's the parrot, isn't he? Played by Rowan Atkinson in the original.

biggytitbo

Thursday

Honestly enthusiasm for Disney films is weird to me, I think I would have been 7 when the original came out and liked it, but even then I would have been staring to get a bit cynical for it. Like it wasn't as good as Simpsons or Animaniacs was it. Anyone who really likes Disney also really liked Blue Peter.

BritishHobo

I suppose this is pretty consistent with Disney practice; they always used to do theatrical re-releases of their films every ten years, and then they did the same with home video when that became a thing, locking films away in the Disney Vault so they could be released fresh again a decade later. It's all their way of keeping their classics relevant to new generations, so they don't just wind up being your nan's dusty old VHS tapes that you don't watch because they're ancient, or DVDs that your obnoxious aunt keeps trying to force on you while banging on constantly about being a 90s kid as if Disney hadn't already been around for about seventy years by then.

It's interesting to see how they try and refine the films in their new forms Beauty and the Beast was one big attempt to tighten up the logic of certain plot points, and make Belle a more inspirational heroine.

Anyway The Jungle Book was fine but they cut the elephant patrol bit and that's fucking unforgivable, Jon Favreau bastard

Urinal Cake

Lion King and Black Panther cross over soon.

biggytitbo

The whole thing is cultural appropriation anyway, I'm going to go on twitter and be outraged by it.

What's the actual live-action 101 Dalmations from nineties like? Not great I imagine, if they didn't try the same thing with any of the others.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 24, 2018, 01:31:37 PM
What's the actual live-action 101 Dalmations from nineties like? Not great I imagine, if they didn't try the same thing with any of the others.

I recall seeing it at the cinema - I wasn't particularly bothered but I was a bit too old for it; I was taking my younger brother along to it and he enjoyed it.  I think it got good reviews at the time but I can't really remember.

It got a sequel called 102 Dalmations, but if their plan was to complete the sequence all the way up to infinity they failed that.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Replies From View on November 24, 2018, 02:06:53 PM
It got a sequel called 102 Dalmations, but if their plan was to complete the sequence all the way up to infinity they failed that.

I heard they had plans to go up to 111 Dalmatians, then they were going to revisit the Dearly family every year thereafter and name the movie after the number of extant hounds, culminating in the extremely-harrowing, yet-educational 17 Dalmatians and the Chocolate Factory (2015).

There's reportedly a prequel/reboot on the way, called Cruella. It will star Emma Stone as a young version of the dog botherer during the 1970s British punk scene.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 24, 2018, 03:01:04 PM
There's reportedly a prequel/reboot on the way, called Cruella. It will star Emma Stone as a young version of the dog botherer during the 1970s British punk scene.

One for the dads.

Small Man Big Horse

The writer behind next year's Aladdin live action film posted this on twitter today:

QuoteMy heart goes out to all the parents of vaccine damaged children, who have to not only endure the sadness of their loss, but also the vitriol of ill-informed and insensitive people (such as those here). Anti-Vax is equivalent to calling someone a n**ger and makes as little sense.

It's out in May so presumably filming has been completed, but hopefully it'll mean Disney will fire his arse from any future projects.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 24, 2018, 02:55:15 PM
I heard they had plans to go up to 111 Dalmatians, then they were going to revisit the Dearly family every year thereafter and name the movie after the number of extant hounds, culminating in the extremely-harrowing, yet-educational 17 Dalmatians and the Chocolate Factory (2015).

Aka The Dogs (2015).

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 25, 2018, 01:00:11 AM
The writer behind next year's Aladdin live action film posted this on twitter today:

It's out in May so presumably filming has been completed, but hopefully it'll mean Disney will fire his arse from any future projects.
He was a writer on the original film, not the remake, although naturally they'll be using his work without credit for the new film. Not that that excuses his unrelated comments of course.

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 25, 2018, 01:00:11 AM
next year's Aladdin live action film...
Fuck, I thought you were joking. Michael MacIntyre in the role of the genie?

kalowski

kalowski

Bhazor

I'm just excited for the sex scene.

Mmmmm nice and barby.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 25, 2018, 07:24:19 AM
He was a writer on the original film, not the remake, although naturally they'll be using his work without credit for the new film. Not that that excuses his unrelated comments of course.

Ah, my mistake, that'll teach me to skim read an article.

Quote from: kalowski on November 25, 2018, 08:52:24 AM
Fuck, I thought you were joking. Michael MacIntyre in the role of the genie?

Oddly enough it's Will Smith. Who I'm sure is capable of turning in an okay performance but isn't exactly comparable to Robin Williams when it comes to comedy. Still, it's directed by Guy Ritchie so will no doubt be a massive flop.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bhazor on November 25, 2018, 09:57:09 AM
Mmmmm nice and barby.

Not all CGI sex scenes have to feature barbed wire you know.