Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lion King 2019

Started by Default to the negative, November 23, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: Bhazor on November 25, 2018, 09:57:09 AM
I'm just excited for the sex scene.

Mmmmm nice and barby.

Come on now, this isn't the Phwooar thread.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 25, 2018, 11:12:36 AM
Still, it's directed by Guy Ritchie so will no doubt be a massive flop.

Fuck me, I thought that was another joke.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on November 25, 2018, 03:45:23 PM
Fuck me, I thought that was another joke.

Sadly I'm not that funny.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 25, 2018, 11:12:36 AMOddly enough it's Will Smith. Who I'm sure is capable of turning in an okay performance but isn't exactly comparable to Robin Williams when it comes to comedy.

He was good as Phil in The Thick of It.

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 25, 2018, 11:12:36 AM

Oddly enough it's Will Smith. Who I'm sure is capable of turning in an okay performance but isn't exactly comparable to Robin Williams when it comes to comedy.

I like Will Smith, but Williams' Aladdin was a career defining performance. I'm happy to get all hyperbolic here: his greatest performance and a revolutionary voice over performance.
Watched it recently with the kids, it's still amazing.

Good luck, Fresh Prince!

Replies From View

Quote from: kalowski on November 25, 2018, 05:54:42 PM
I like Will Smith, but Williams' Aladdin was a career defining performance. I'm happy to get all hyperbolic here: his greatest performance and a revolutionary voice over performance.
Watched it recently with the kids, it's still amazing.

Good luck, Fresh Prince!

The only way they'll make it work is if Smith's performance is distinct from Williams' and not an impersonation of any kind.

Everything else will be a beat-for-beat remake, I assume (that's the pattern of all these), so this difference will stand out quite a lot.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2018, 06:22:19 PM
Everything else will be a beat-for-beat remake, I assume (that's the pattern of all these)

Apart from the new song for the Oscars.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on November 25, 2018, 10:29:30 PM
Apart from the new song for the Oscars.

They have loads of songs from the Lion King stage show to pillage from, as well.

Edit:  for the new Lion King, I meant.  I forgot we were talking about Aladdin!

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2018, 10:38:58 PM
They have loads of songs from the Lion King stage show to pillage from, as well.

Edit:  for the new Lion King, I meant.  I forgot we were talking about Aladdin!

According to Wikipedia they're using four of the five songs from the original film (excluding "Be Prepared), plus a new one. Nothing from the stage show. And as far as I can see, the new song (sung by Beyoncie) will only feature in the end credits.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on November 25, 2018, 10:45:33 PM
According to Wikipedia they're using four of the five songs from the original film (excluding "Be Prepared), plus a new one. Nothing from the stage show. And as far as I can see, the new song (sung by Beyoncie) will only feature in the end credits.

Heh, I've just remembered Celine Dion's version of 'No One Farts Like Gaston' or whatever it was over the end credits of the original Beauty and the Beast.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2018, 10:48:19 PM
Heh, I've just remembered Celine Dion's version of 'No One Farts Like Gaston' or whatever it was over the end credits of the original Beauty and the Beast.

"My Fart Will Go On," wasn't it? Or was that another film?

mothman

Dex Sawash

The best Lion King song is The Circle of Knife from Itchy and Scratchy The Musical

EOLAN

Quote from: Thursday on November 23, 2018, 11:47:11 PM
Honestly enthusiasm for Disney films is weird to me, I think I would have been 7 when the original came out and liked it, but even then I would have been staring to get a bit cynical for it. Like it wasn't as good as Simpsons or Animaniacs was it. Anyone who really likes Disney also really liked Blue Peter.

Oh yes to this. Although I seem to have got myself into a Disney heavy marriage. But Warner Bros. regular cartoons really were so much superior to Disney. A lot more cynical and in many ways more proletarian in a way that I can't really express very well.
Disney is much more saccharine and don't really like the morals of the fairytales.
As for the Lion King; well it reminded me a lot of Demolition Man in many ways. Didn't like Mufasa's anti-hyena agenda and felt his attempt to keep them in their own downtrodden world was very much like Nigel Hawthorne trying to keep the old time poorer people to their underworld out of sight.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 23, 2018, 10:49:24 PM
There's no real reason for them to exist beyond money purposes is there? I think what surprises me is how so many people fall for these remakes time and time again, the old Lion King only came out in the mid-90s. 

Well, Disney are going to launch their own streaming service and these remakes probably figure into that plan quite neatly.

To be honest, I am curious to see photo-realistic Lion King. I liked the trailer. I am even more curious to see the upcoming remake of Lady and the Tramp, which will need a lot of changing to bring it in line with modern sensibilities. You can't do 'We Are Siamese' nowadays, for example. Then there's the 'death row' dog pound with Peg/Peggy Lee's suggestive song about Tramp, and that bit where a dog is dragged away to be put down. All of that stuff will have to be removed, I think.

Quote from: EOLAN on November 26, 2018, 11:07:23 AM
But Warner Bros. regular cartoons really were so much superior to Disney. A lot more cynical and in many ways more proletarian in a way that I can't really express very well.

Well, in Lady and the Tramp you have 'Jim Dear' and 'Darling' living in a conservative 1950s white-picket utopia, and their dog Lady is a snob towards other dogs. The happy ending is that Tramp is accepted into their world and becomes respectable. Lady's experiences don't really change her in any way.

Panbaams

I'm looking forward to a brief Arsène Wenger cameo at the beginning of the film.

Dannyhood91

They should port the lion king game for Megadrive to PS4.

Replies From View

It would have to be 'We Are Conjoined' I suppose.

Swoz_MK

Just do Robin Hood so I can have a good fucking look at that fat chicken's tits

Blumf

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 26, 2018, 05:03:16 PM
Just do Robin Hood...

..but instead of CGI, everybody is in Fursuits

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on November 26, 2018, 05:16:36 PM
..but instead of CGI, everybody is in Fursuits

And the cast have been sewn into those suits, so they all have a big obvious mound of shit weighing down the middle of their pants area.

Just a subtle detail.