Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I'm having a lazy duvet day today after a horrendously shitty nights sleep and in the mood for something that I'll remember until my dying days. Something bizarre, crazy and all round astonishing, the kind of movie that you wish everyone would stop what they are doing and watch right now. And I can't think of anything. So your recommendations would be appreciated for a truly outstanding film, and before anyone mentions it, yes, yes, I have seen 50 Shades of Grey.*

*I haven't, but any comedy suggestions will be ignored I tell you. Unless I don't ignore it. Who knows.

Shit Good Nose

Sorcerer and/or Wake In Fright.  If you haven't already seen them.  If you haven't, I guarantee you will never ever forget either one of them.

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 23, 2018, 04:22:52 PM
Sorcerer

+1 on that.

Visually stunning stuff: Něco z Alenky, The Holy Mountain and Beyond the Black Rainbow

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM
...in the mood for something that I'll remember until my dying days. Something bizarre, crazy and all round astonishing, the kind of movie that you wish everyone would stop what they are doing and watch right now.

Well you don't ask for much, do you?

I'm going to narrow the criteria down and assume that you just want something memorable, and a little bit edgy and shocking. Have you seen Jagten/The Hunt? A film about Mads Mikkelsen being falsely accused of diddling. It's quite a raw, emotionally draining film. Stays with you.

Quote from: Blumf on November 23, 2018, 04:49:23 PM
Beyond the Black Rainbow

Botches the ending badly enough to sour the entire film.

Blumf

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 23, 2018, 04:54:25 PM
QuoteBeyond the Black Rainbow
Botches the ending badly enough to sour the entire film.

Yeah, the ending sucks, but I'd still say the rest justifies a watch.

rasta-spouse

Watch an early Timur Bekmambetov film, not technically good, no - but bonkers, yes.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's a film which stars that American actor who looks a bit like Ted Heath, Gig Young I think his name is, and Sammy Davis Jr., and with Christopher Lee doing his dracula bit. Very silly comedy, it is, fucking amazingly silly. I'm fucked if I'm going to try and track down the title for you though, lying there on your duvet telling us lot to do the donkey work, you can fuck off. In a similar silly vein, There's   " How To Destroy The Reputation Of The World's Greatest Secret Agent ", a French film starring a young Jacqueline Bisset and Natalie Milkyway lookalike, speaking all French, and that. Some very funny, silly, gory scenes in that.
Also " El  Topo", features actual killing of animals though, bit much, that.

Quote from: Blumf on November 23, 2018, 05:00:48 PM
Yeah, the ending sucks, but I'd still say the rest justifies a watch.

Maybe one of those fan-editors could fix it. I reckon there's enough material there to create a hazy, ambiguous end sequence.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 23, 2018, 04:54:25 PM
Well you don't ask for much, do you?

Well you know, I try to make it easy for folks.

Sorcerer's currently in the lead but I'm not going to watch the film until 6.24pm and am open to something else which possible features a lot of female nudity.

And I've seen Jaws, El Topo and The Holy Mountain but the latter two are amongst my favourite films and are something I'll definitely watch one day. Today I'm in the mood for something new though.

chveik

Hard to Be a God (2013)
I can assure you that you won't forget it

Bad Ambassador

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 23, 2018, 05:03:47 PM
There's a film which stars that American actor who looks a bit like Ted Heath, Gig Young I think his name is, and Sammy Davis Jr., and with Christopher Lee doing his dracula bit. Very silly comedy, it is, fucking amazingly silly. I'm fucked if I'm going to try and track down the title for you though, lying there on your duvet telling us lot to do the donkey work, you can fuck off. In a similar silly vein, There's   " How To Destroy The Reputation Of The World's Greatest Secret Agent ", a French film starring a young Jacqueline Bisset and Natalie Milkyway lookalike, speaking all French, and that. Some very funny, silly, gory scenes in that.
Also " El  Topo", features actual killing of animals though, bit much, that.

I think that's Poor Devil as it's the only film Lee and Davis Jnr made together, but Gig Young isn't in it. Not sure if I'll watch it tonight but it does sound my cup of tea so I'm obtaining it right now, thank you for that.

Quote from: chveik on November 23, 2018, 05:16:34 PM
Hard to Be a God (2013)
I can assure you that you won't forget it

I tried watching that a couple of years ago but didn't make it past the 10 minute point. I know a lot of people love it though so may give it another shot.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 23, 2018, 05:16:45 PM
Biggles: Adventures in Time.

I love that film an enormous amount, saw it at the cinema and on video a good few times but as I've seen it before it doesn't make the cut today.

NoSleep

Watch a Tarkovsky film: Stalker, Solaris or Mirror (probably in that order, although you could watch Solaris first: Mirror is great but you probably need tuning in to the Tarkovsky frequency first). You will be truly astonished.

BlodwynPig

Sorcerer is one hell of a film

TD related but derided and hard to find: The Keep

Phil_A

Upstream Color (2013)

I remember putting this on intending to watch the first ten minutes or so and ending up sitting there for two hours completely entranced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SilYsr_3vrA

There's nothing else quite like it, and I dearly hope some day Shane Carruth actually manages to get another film made.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Re: my previous post.
It wasn't Gig Young, it was some other cunt, who definitely looked a bit like Ted Heath. Fuck, what was his name ? He was in episode of " Moonlighting", too. Fucking annoying me now, that.

BlodwynPig

Minotaur 13

Starring
Jodie Comer
Jen Aniston
Brad Walsh

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, you think you're funny, don't you ?

NoSleep

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 23, 2018, 05:55:15 PM
Re: my previous post.
It wasn't Gig Young, it was some other cunt, who definitely looked a bit like Ted Heath. Fuck, what was his name ? He was in episode of " Moonlighting", too. Fucking annoying me now, that.

When I googled Sammy Davis and Christopher Lee, only one thing came up: Poor Devil (1973), which makes Jack Klugman (Quincy M.E.) your alleged Ted Heath lookalike (he looks nothing like Ted Heath). Adam West is in it, too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Done me some googling. Tell you what it was.  It was " One More Time "(1970)  . Sammy Davis Jr. pretends to be an English Lord.The alleged Ted Heath lookalike was Peter Lawford, I think. Christopher Lee * is * in it, as Dracula, and Peter Cushing as Dr. Frankenstein! Fucking great cast; Dudley Sutton, Bill Maynard and fucking Bergerac are in it, too !! I'm not fucking joking! Look this shit up !

NoSleep

Ah yes, I just found that one, too. Christopher Lee only in a cameo as Dracula.

pigamus

hedgehog90

Do you like brutal depictions of rape and their immediate, awful aftermath? I've got just the thing!

Irreversible

Honestly though it's an incredible film, but you've got to be in the right mood to watch it I guess. It lingers like a stab wound.

If you're a bit of a pussy though and fancy the same subject matter but a bit softer, a bit Fisher-Price-ier, go watch

The Virgin Spring

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: NoSleep on November 23, 2018, 06:14:00 PM
Ah yes, I just found that one, too. Christopher Lee only in a cameo as Dracula.

Yeah, not an integral character , or owt.
Fun Quiz: in which other wacky and downright zany English comedy film did yer man Lee also do a Drac Cameo ?

Hey, Punk!

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on November 23, 2018, 06:17:50 PM

Pretentious bilge. No dracula cameos.

biggytitbo

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 23, 2018, 06:16:22 PM
Do you like brutal depictions of rape and their immediate, awful aftermath? I've got just the thing!

Irreversible

Honestly though it's an incredible film, but you've got to be in the right mood to watch it I guess. It lingers like a stab wound.

I saw that at the cinema, it's the only time I've had to take my eyes off the screen and stare at the floor for a bit as the rape scene was so horrendous. But I did admire when came after an awful lot, though it's a film I'll never subject myself to again.

QuoteIf you're a bit of a pussy though and fancy the same subject matter but a bit softer, a bit Fisher-Price-ier, go watch

The Virgin Spring

Hmm, I haven't seen that and I do like Bergman, so may well do so, thank you.

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on November 23, 2018, 06:17:50 PM

Loved it (despite the lack of Dracula) but have seen it a good couple of times.

Somewhat ironically I've decided to go for Poor Devil despite no one actually recommending it, but it's only 73 minutes long which means I'll have the time for a second film later on. But what will it be? The jury is still out and also open to bribes.