Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 24, 2018, 12:29:24 PM
Forbidden Zone [74 min] (1980) - Oingo Boingo meets 6th-dimensional musical-comedy. Delightfully strange, camp, funny, and chock-full of tits. The music is excellent too.

Just watched this now, here's the mini-review I wrote: Low budget DIY sci-fi fantasy musical which is insanely crazy but also a little puerile, and unfortunately a bit racist and homophobic while women are treated poorly too. It's a shame as otherwise this is a mad old thing, quite unique and beautifully designed. The songs are fun (if throwaway) and there's a lot of pretty funny scenes in it, but due to the aforementioned shittiness it loses a point and only gets 7.1/10

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hedgehog90 on December 01, 2018, 02:35:52 AM
It's a sequel to Endhiran (2010), otherwise known as the Indian Terminator.
I remember it got some very good press when it premiered in the US and UK at the time, also looks silly as fuck:

https://youtu.be/tsRgtaS70WA

I watched Endhiran over the course of the last two days and loved it, it does sag in the middle and some of the songs go on a bit but the first and last hours are an absolute delight, packed with madness and some of the most inventive action scenes I've ever seen. Occasionally the cgi looks a bit dodgy and possibly made using an Amiga 500 (Chitti's fire fighting scenes especially) but a lot of the time it's really impressive, and the final half hour blew me away and made me giggle like a loon.

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 03, 2018, 10:27:03 AM
2.0 is just ridiculous, so funny, mad and very long, so long there was even a 15 minute break 90 minutes in.
It is so daft there is even the 3.0 sequel in the last quarter and I was totally exhausted by the end of it,
it was like having three Indian meals at once and as for the FX and plot and musical numbers and word salad subtitles, jeeez it's just incredible

I truly can't wait for this now, and may well buy it on dvd as the first is so good and I'd like to own both and force friends to watch them.

hedgehog90

Endhiran sounds good, so good you forgot to score it (again!)

As for Forbidden Zone, I found its crassness/tastelessness totally harmless and good-natured, personally. It reminded me of the type of dumb childish humour that we'd try to get away with in drama class when we were 11.
Very charming and imaginative I thought.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hedgehog90 on February 25, 2019, 01:32:10 AM
Endhiran sounds good, so good you forgot to score it (again!)

It's clearly the first sign of senility. But for the record it got 7.9, and would have been much higher if not for that slightly dull middle section.

QuoteAs for Forbidden Zone, I found its crassness/tastelessness totally harmless and good-natured, personally. It reminded me of the type of dumb childish humour that we'd try to get away with in drama class when we were 11.
Very charming and imaginative I thought.

Yeah, I mean I don't think it set out to upset anyone in any way, and otherwise I agree with your comments about the film, but the sexism is a bit ridiculous and use of blackface (and the fact that all of the black characters are either pimps or murderers) left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Head Gardener

gib

Well done whoever recommended Border, and i'll pass on the advice to not look up any other details beyond

QuoteA customs officer who can smell fear develops an unusual attraction to a strange traveler while aiding a police investigation which will call into question her entire existence.

neveragain

Have you seen World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams? That's a special and impactful film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: neveragain on March 07, 2019, 11:24:46 AM
Have you seen World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams? That's a special and impactful film.

I have, I'm a big fan of Bobcat's and so saw it when it first came out and would agree with you, it's a fantastic bit of very dark comedy.

oooft

Seen American History X again on the telly couple weeks back.. hadn't seen it for ages. Pretty good one

Dr Syntax Head

I am a sucker for time loop/alt reality movies and it took a little while but this just drew me in like Triangle did.

The Endless. Excellent low budget but high in anxiety movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3986820/

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 25, 2019, 11:39:12 AM
I am a sucker for time loop/alt reality movies and it took a little while but this just drew me in like Triangle did.

The Endless. Excellent low budget but high in anxiety movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3986820/

I loved that too, makes for a fantastic sequel to Resolution, which I really liked a lot, along with all of their other films, but have to confess The Endless is my favourite so far.

I did enjoy American History X when it came out too but have no urge to revisit it considering how bleak it is.

Spiteface

GARO: Soukoku no Maryu (2013)

As a fan of tokusatsu, I love Garo. Compared to moden offerings of Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Ultraman, it's such a breath of fresh air to watch a henshin hero type of show and not have it be all BUY OUR TOYS!!!, being a more "adult" offering (read: tits and lots of night scenes). It was billed as "Hyper Midnight Action". It was darker, it was grittier, the fights and monsters in it were completely insane, and it felt like an ever-growing world.

I need to qualify my recommendation a little here: Soukoku No Maryu is intended as a finale to a TV series. This was a farewell of sorts to Ryosei Konishi as Kouga Saejima, aka the Golden Knight GARO. This wraps up the story at the end of season 2/Makai Senki, with season 3 jumping forward in time with an all-new lead. But, this is so different to the 2 seasons, various movies and specials that preceded it, but in such a way that I am into it just as much.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj8LsVWpSo4
Tokusatsu could be so much more than rubber suit monsters stomping miniature cities, or spandex-clad heroes fighting in quarries. I love what Keita Amemiya did here.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Spiteface on March 30, 2019, 06:48:51 PM
GARO: Soukoku no Maryu (2013)

As a fan of tokusatsu, I love Garo. Compared to moden offerings of Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Ultraman, it's such a breath of fresh air to watch a henshin hero type of show and not have it be all BUY OUR TOYS!!!, being a more "adult" offering (read: tits and lots of night scenes). It was billed as "Hyper Midnight Action". It was darker, it was grittier, the fights and monsters in it were completely insane, and it felt like an ever-growing world.

I need to qualify my recommendation a little here: Soukoku No Maryu is intended as a finale to a TV series. This was a farewell of sorts to Ryosei Konishi as Kouga Saejima, aka the Golden Knight GARO. This wraps up the story at the end of season 2/Makai Senki, with season 3 jumping forward in time with an all-new lead. But, this is so different to the 2 seasons, various movies and specials that preceded it, but in such a way that I am into it just as much.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj8LsVWpSo4
Tokusatsu could be so much more than rubber suit monsters stomping miniature cities, or spandex-clad heroes fighting in quarries. I love what Keita Amemiya did here.

Does it matter that I haven't seen the tv series? As that does look like the kind of madness I like but if it doesn't make sense without seeing the tv show I may not obtain it.

Spiteface

There's a few things, but most of the film is all about Kouga's journey into "The Promised Land" and quest to get his shit back (He finds himself without his sword and armor once he arrives. Which is something I like.

The opening of the film is literally Kouga speaking with Gajari -a powerful entity he made a deal with at the end of Makai Senki, so he could save the world - he is given his quest.
There's also a tournament going on amongst the other characters which pops up at the end, building upon the relationship between Kouga and one of the other knights, and also a post-credits scene which elaborates a little on the ending of the TV show. A lot of it you can sort of work out from the movie by itself, to be honest. The tournament in some ways just feels like something to get some of the other actors in it, as they all seemed to love working on the show.
It makes plenty of sense without having seen the TV show. Kouga is the only returning character for most of it, and aside from a bit about his father (Taiga, the previous Garo),  it doesn't rely much on backstory.

Stuff like Red Requiem is more typical of the show, though, and more standalone. But it doesn't stand out as much as Soukoku no Maryu does.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Spiteface on March 30, 2019, 10:04:52 PM
There's a few things, but most of the film is all about Kouga's journey into "The Promised Land" and quest to get his shit back (He finds himself without his sword and armor once he arrives. Which is something I like.

The opening of the film is literally Kouga speaking with Gajari -a powerful entity he made a deal with at the end of Makai Senki, so he could save the world - he is given his quest.
There's also a tournament going on amongst the other characters which pops up at the end, building upon the relationship between Kouga and one of the other knights, and also a post-credits scene which elaborates a little on the ending of the TV show. A lot of it you can sort of work out from the movie by itself, to be honest. The tournament in some ways just feels like something to get some of the other actors in it, as they all seemed to love working on the show.
It makes plenty of sense without having seen the TV show. Kouga is the only returning character for most of it, and aside from a bit about his father (Taiga, the previous Garo),  it doesn't rely much on backstory.

Stuff like Red Requiem is more typical of the show, though, and more standalone. But it doesn't stand out as much as Soukoku no Maryu does.

Thanks for that, have tracked it down so I'll definitely give it a go.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 30, 2018, 09:36:09 AM
I doubt anything will beat this new film coming in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrETX2eDhL8

Quote from: hedgehog90 on December 01, 2018, 02:35:52 AM
It's a sequel to Endhiran (2010), otherwise known as the Indian Terminator.
I remember it got some very good press when it premiered in the US and UK at the time, also looks silly as fuck:

https://youtu.be/tsRgtaS70WA

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 03, 2018, 10:27:03 AM
2.0 is just ridiculous, so funny, mad and very long, so long there was even a 15 minute break 90 minutes in.
It is so daft there is even the 3.0 sequel in the last quarter and I was totally exhausted by the end of it,
it was like having three Indian meals at once and as for the FX and plot and musical numbers and word salad subtitles, jeeez it's just incredible

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 24, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
I watched Endhiran over the course of the last two days and loved it, it does sag in the middle and some of the songs go on a bit but the first and last hours are an absolute delight, packed with madness and some of the most inventive action scenes I've ever seen. Occasionally the cgi looks a bit dodgy and possibly made using an Amiga 500 (Chitti's fire fighting scenes especially) but a lot of the time it's really impressive, and the final half hour blew me away and made me giggle like a loon.

I truly can't wait for this now, and may well buy it on dvd as the first is so good and I'd like to own both and force friends to watch them.

I managed to obtain 2.0 today, I've been looking for it for a while as I knew it was out on dvd but it took me a while as "2.0" is something that comes up with thousands of search results on torrent sites, but in the end I looked for "Robot 2" and found it annoyingly easily. Anyway, I really liked it but I slightly prefer the first, if only because that's a mixture of comedy and action while the sequel is more of a full on action movie, and there's not as many songs either. It's still an enormous amount of fun though with some fantastic set pieces, and it looks stunning too, I just felt the first one had a bit more charm. 7.6/10

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 13, 2018, 02:48:22 PM
'ere, SMBH, why not give Swallowtail Butterfly a whirl?  Can't guarantee you'll like it, but it's got a similar narrative and stylistic unpredictability to Love Exposure.

I finally watched this tonight but feel frustrated by it, the first half is a really fascinating movie but then the second just didn't work for me, and ultimately I felt pretty disappointed by it. It's a shame as I was initially really intrigued by it, but the whole musician plotline just ran out of steam and didn't really go anywhere. 6.1/10

Sin Agog

Ta for watching! Yeah, it is narratively all over the shop, can't deny.  Don't let it turn you off that guy's other movies, though.  It's a bit of an aberration from Iwai, most of whose movies are lovely rheumy little things, but I recommended it because...well, it's quite memorable.  Closest he did like it is this weird short about a woman extremely addicted to knots... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z6pnraNtA

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 04, 2019, 09:01:25 PM
Ta for watching! Yeah, it is narratively all over the shop, can't deny.  Don't let it turn you off that guy's other movies, though.  It's a bit of an aberration from Iwai, most of whose movies are lovely rheumy little things, but I recommended it because...well, it's quite memorable.  Closest he did like it is this weird short about a woman extremely addicted to knots... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z6pnraNtA

Despite being disappointed by it I don't regret watching it, and I'll definitely look in to his other movies as there is half a really great movie there.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 24, 2018, 01:53:06 AM
Night of the Comet

I'm still working my way through these suggestions, though really need to up my game a bit if I'm to finish them all by the time I die in 2047. Anyway, here's the mini-review I wrote for my files:

Night Of The Comet (1984) - One Christmas a comet comes closer to the Earth than it's ever before and for some reason that causes nearly everyone to die or become zombiefied, though luckily for Regina (Catherine Mary Stewart) and her boyfriend they were in a steel lined building at the time which saved their lives. Said boyfriend's soon eaten rather fortunately as he's quite a bad actor, but miraculously Regina's sister Samantha survived, and they hole up at the local radio station for a while where they meet Chakotay from Star Trek Voyager, who proves he did know how to play likeable characters once upon a time. At first
Spoiler alert
they just fuck about and occasionally bump in to a zombie, but eventually they meet some scientists who were in a weird underground base when the comet passed, but who have their own dark agenda
[close]
. Recommended to me as a fucking amazing film I wouldn't go that far, the script is reasonably funny and it's definitely a quite unusual affair, but it's not something I fell madly in love with and in some ways feels like a feature length tv pilot rather than a movie. 7.4/10

Head Gardener

Blumf

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 05, 2020, 09:19:32 AM

It's already one of my favourite films: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=74898.0 - and I'm appalled that the thread didn't go on for at least 10 pages as to how good it is.

Day of the Locust (1975).  You'll never forget the ending.

Ferris

I maintain the best ending to a film I've ever seen is Birdy (1984). I had to look it up on youtube to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. I wasn't.

Head Gardener

Velocipastor II is coming! https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62815557

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 13, 2019, 08:46:26 AM

this forthcoming batshit Chinese film looks pretty good
Quote from: Bazooka on February 13, 2019, 04:40:06 PM
Its not very good.

Watched that a little while ago and I agree. Bog-standard sci-fi with the only noteworthy thing being that the comic relief was provided by a rapist (who was also on the Jar Jar Binks scale of unfunny nuisance).