Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I think I genuinely prefer Timecop to Primer.

El Unicornio, mang

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut, currently on iPlayer for the whole of August.

neveragain

It's an astounding piece of work but that water buffalo slaughter at the end really put me off it. (I also don't like films having lots of versions out there, as I always feel I could be missing out on something. Ironically if they had cut the aforementioned scene out I would have walked away from the film delighted. Which would be inappropriate.)

Oh, and the production team also burnt down a load of rainforest for the opening, safe in the knowledge that due to the political situation of the time they wouldn't be held to account. Perhaps in the past I would have but now I can't put such actions (the arson and animal cruelty, of which there was apparently a lot more filmed than shown) aside in appreciation of great art. It mars the whole enterprise.

El Unicornio, mang

It's a hard watch for me to, although lessened somewhat by the fact that the slaughter wasn't done for the film, but rather was happening anyway and they decided to film it.

QuoteAfter his wife, Eleanor, a documentary filmmaker, captured the locals' first water buffalo sacrifice, he decided to film the second, equally bloody and brutal slaughter for the final scenes of "Apocalypse Now."

"I did not direct it or anything, that was the way they do it," said Coppola, noting that he refused an offer to keep an extra water buffalo on standby if the first shoot didn't go to plan. "I'm not going to kill an animal for a movie; I'm not going to kill anything for any reason."

The arson, I didn't know about. These things do mar the enjoyment but I still regard the film as a high watermark in American cinema.

Emma Raducanu

Sorry We Missed You. Absolutely fucking amazing. Ken Loach does it again. I found it really affecting, much in the same way as with I, Daniel Blake.

It's relentlessly grim and brilliantly played by an inexperienced cast, as is the way with our Ken. I was particulalry impressed by the guy who played the parcel delivery boss; a totally belligerent twat. The family dynamic is agonisingly portrayed and reminds you of how the country is a shithole.

I actually didn't realise the pressures delivery people are under. Made me not want to order anything on line ever again for one hour.

Spoiler alert
The story takes partial inspiration from the experiences of Don Lane, a courier for DPD who died January 2018 after working through illness in the Christmas delivery rush. He had skipped several hospital appointments to treat his type 1 diabetes because he had been charged £150 by DPD when he missed deliveries to attend an appointment and feared further charges.
[close]

evilcommiedictator

Everyone go watch Office Space, just to remember it's OK to fucking hate your bullshit office job

Emma Raducanu

Song of the Sea. Beautiful animation and really lovely music.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 09, 2020, 10:08:28 AM
Everyone go watch Office Space, just to remember it's OK to fucking hate your bullshit office job

I watch this every so often and the feelings just get realer. I think I thought it was great before I even had a 'proper' job.

frajer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2020, 10:48:35 PM
I watch this every so often and the feelings just get realer. I think I thought it was great before I even had a 'proper' job.

Yeah as a stupid teenager I liked it but thought it was pretty lightweight. Now in my 30s with an office job it amplifies and crushes my soul.

Johnny Textface

I've heard Hitchcock was pretty good at this film making lark and have to admit only seeing Psycho I think. What are the top picks out there?

shagatha crustie

Johnny Textface

I started with Rear Window but will check that out next.

Although, wasn't particularly engaged by Rear Window. Probably 15 mins too long and a little slow at times. Good performances and sets, costumes, script, photography etc.. all spot on. But the story has probably dated quite a bit. 3/5 cocks.

Sebastian Cobb

Ain't seen Shadow of a Doubt.

I've managed to miss some of his most regarded, like Rear Window and Vertigo.

Dial M for Murder, To Catch a Thief and Strangers on a Train are all ace, but I also like The Trouble With Harry for being oddly whimsical.

zomgmouse

Shadow of a Doubt is tops. Also second Strangers on a Train. Oh! And North By Northwest, Rebecca and The 39 Steps. Then I guess Notorious, The Birds, Rope...

Some sorely underrated ones are I Confess and Foreign Correspondent. Cracking films.

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 24, 2020, 11:33:31 PM

Although, wasn't particularly engaged by Rear Window. Probably 15 mins too long and a little slow at times. Good performances and sets, costumes, script, photography etc.. all spot on. But the story has probably dated quite a bit. 3/5 cocks.

Oh, Johnny.. No!

phantom_power

Has anyone mentioned Blindspotting? Fucking amazing and on Netflix now

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2020, 09:12:02 AM
Has anyone mentioned Blindspotting? Fucking amazing and on Netflix now

Just watched the trailer, looks good

zomgmouse

SMBH I can't remember if you've seen Bad Boy Bubby or not but you need to see Bad Boy Bubby.

Bazooka

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 24, 2020, 11:33:31 PM

I agree, slightly over on length but otherwise great,the casting is top dollar.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DolphinFace on September 23, 2020, 09:31:10 PM

Yeah it's fantastic stuff. There seems to be so little of this type of stuff about. Also the Secret of Kells if you enjoy Song of the Sea.

Small Man Big Horse

I've had that on my hard drive for a while now so will give it a go later on today and report back.

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 27, 2020, 01:00:20 PM
SMBH I can't remember if you've seen Bad Boy Bubby or not but you need to see Bad Boy Bubby.

I have, and used to own an ex-rental vhs version of it a long time ago. I haven't seen it in ages though, so really should watch it again as I did like it an awful lot, the weird fucker of a film that it was!

frajer

Ah yeah that's such a lovely and wonderful film.

Small Man Big Horse

This really was lovely, thanks for the recommendation, it's a very sweet and touching affair and extremely charming and lovable. Here's the mini-review I wrote of it for my files.

Song Of The Sea (2014) - Irish animation where at first it looks like it's going to be a misery drenched affair after Ben's mother dies giving birth to his sister, and six years on his father Connor (Brendan Gleeson) has never really recovered from this and Ben (Moone Boy star David Rawle) has no time for his sister, and things seem to go from bad for worse for all involved when the kids are sent off to live with their Grandmother in the city.
Spoiler alert
But then it becomes a fantastical affair as faeries, evil owls, and all kinds of magical madness ensues, I was a bit worried they might pull the old "It was all a dream which taught him a lesson" nonsense but thankfully it doesn't do that
[close]
, and this is a very charming, very sweet and lovable film. 8.1/10

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
I have, and used to own an ex-rental vhs version of it a long time ago. I haven't seen it in ages though, so really should watch it again as I did like it an awful lot, the weird fucker of a film that it was!

Hell yeah! I rewatched it a month or so ago with housemates, it definitely holds up and is just so unexpectedly touching. Rolf De Heer is perhaps my favourite Australian director, would very much recommend some of his other films if you haven't seen them. Alexandra's Project, The Tracker, The Quiet Room, Ten Canoes, Dingo... there's some corkers.

Sin Agog

Highly recommend The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0194426/), a Japanese film written by Paul Schrader's brother about a giddy, handsome young science teacher who designs his own nuclear warhead.  It's one of the most entertaining, genre-bending movies I've seen in awhile, and never less than eminently watchable.  Wish this director had done more stuff, but this film resolutely ended his flash-in-the-pan directing career.  It actually reminds me a bit of The Stunt Man in the way it's a lucidly directed mad b-movie with a-movie trappings that defies all expectations and categorisations. Apparently the director suffered from radiation poisoning in utero so it was a fitting subject for him.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 30, 2020, 02:20:17 AM
Highly recommend The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0194426/), a Japanese film written by Paul Schrader's brother about a giddy, handsome young science teacher who designs his own nuclear warhead.  It's one of the most entertaining, genre-bending movies I've seen in awhile, and never less than eminently watchable.  Wish this director had done more stuff, but this film resolutely ended his flash-in-the-pan directing career.  It actually reminds me a bit of The Stunt Man in the way it's a lucidly directed mad b-movie with a-movie trappings that defies all expectations and categorisations. Apparently the director suffered from radiation poisoning in utero so it was a fitting subject for him.

This is intriguing, thanks! Looks like I have two other films by that director on my watchlist: Wandering Ginza Butterfly and Wolf Guy, which both sound pretty cool.

Sin Agog

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 30, 2020, 02:39:07 AM
This is intriguing, thanks! Looks like I have two other films by that director on my watchlist: Wandering Ginza Butterfly and Wolf Guy, which both sound pretty cool.

No probs, but I think that might be a different guy.   Kazuhiko Hasegawa only made one other movie.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 30, 2020, 02:52:39 AM
No probs, but I think that might be a different guy.   Kazuhiko Hasegawa only made one other movie.

Ah shit you're right! A different Kazuhiko. My spreadsheet autofill got a bit hasty.

wooders1978

I also recommend "sorry I missed you" - it's currently included with amazon prime, possibly outbleaks I Daniel Blake 

I think it was mentioned earlier but finally got around to "border" - it's excellent and hugely original, available on the more4 app (yay) but only in standard def (boo) - if I was going to advise my past self I'd say either rent it in hd or wait for it to turn up on prime or Netflix as HD is definitely warranted

shagatha crustie

I had mixed feelings about Border. It was hugely original as you said, but seemed a bit too focused on 'arent these gross and ugly' without enough character work and redeeming features of
Spoiler alert
being a troll
[close]
to make up for it. I got weirdly transphobic vibes from certain scenes as well. Definitely worth a watch though.