Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 23, 2018, 06:18:52 PM
Pretentious bilge. No dracula cameos.

They dress enough like Vampires for it to be a good film.

Just in case you're being serious, it is the opposite of pretentious. It's a film that can be enjoyed on the surface, just a splendid looking tale with rather obvious emotional performances.

sevendaughters

Quote from: chveik on November 23, 2018, 05:16:34 PM
Hard to Be a God (2013)
I can assure you that you won't forget it

Second this. Amazing film.

If not - Z by Costa-Gavras. Sultry sexy politco thriller about the assassinations in Greece in the 60s. stylistically informed French Connection heavily.

Brundle-Fly

I really dug Bliss (1985) at the time but not seen it in decades.  Oddball Terry Gilliam-esque Australian comedy.

Here is the U.S. trailer. Obv, spoilers abound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mser-xg4lrY

checkoutgirl

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

It's got fucking everything. Amazing film.

Thursday

The Man Who Stole The Sun

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0194426/

A high school science teacher builds an atomic bomb and uses it to extort the nation, but cannot decide what he wants. Meanwhile, a determined cop is catching up to him, as is radiation poisoning.

Sebastian Cobb

Victoria - quality thriller all shot in a single take.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2018, 06:32:47 PM
though it's a film I'll never subject myself to again.

Yeah, when I watched Irreversible I thought "That was brilliant, now let us never speak of it again". Once is enough.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 23, 2018, 07:55:12 PM
Yeah, when I watched Irreversible I thought "That was brilliant, now let us never speak of it again". Once is enough.

It wasn't that shocking. It was quite adolescent, really, like all of Noe's stuff.

'Haw-hee-haw, I weel offend zere delicate bourgeois zenzibiliteez with my extrodinaree ten meeneet rep zeen!'

And then the all the plaudits come pouring in.

'Yah but you see, Gaspar comes from a family of artistic pedigree and it's okay for him to do this because it's like philosophy and meta-commentary yah?'

Oui! Praise my puerile smut you peeg-dog!

Sin Agog

I know you're into all kinds of musicals.  Have you seen Lemonade Joe (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058275/), a Czech singing cowboy film with the most striking colour filters I've ever seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, the ones which I don't watch tonight I'm already obtaining for another time.

I finished Poor Devil and was a bit disappointed, it's fine as something of a curiosity but I can see why it was never taken to series and released as a tv movie instead. And I shall now never trust LisaJesusandMaryChain to not recommend me a film ever again.

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 23, 2018, 08:59:14 PM
I know you're into all kinds of musicals.  Have you seen Lemonade Joe (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058275/), a Czech singing cowboy film with the most striking colour filters I've ever seen.

Gah, I was about to watch The Virgin Spring but that does look up my street...

non capisco

Detour (1945). One of the very best film noirs of all and it's barely an hour long, so you can slip it in between films as a cinematic amuse bouche.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 23, 2018, 07:31:25 PM
I really dug Bliss (1985) at the time but not seen it in decades.  Oddball Terry Gilliam-esque Australian comedy.

Here is the U.S. trailer. Obv, spoilers abound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mser-xg4lrY

Based on the really good fucking book. Yeah, they make a fair fist of doing the bok justice in that film. I, too, recommend it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not going to correct the typo in the above, nice Python ref.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2018, 09:06:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, the ones which I don't watch tonight I'm already obtaining for another time.

I finished Poor Devil and was a bit disappointed, it's fine as something of a curiosity but I can see why it was never taken to series and released as a tv movie instead. And I shall now never trust LisaJesusandMaryChain to not recommend me a film ever again.

Watch " One More Time " ( 1970 ), and tell me what you think, you ungrateful cunt.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2018, 09:06:08 PM

I'd hate to step on The Virgin Spring's toes.  I love that film.  Every time I watch it, the pagan undercurrents leap out at me even more.  Once wrote a sort of song sequel to it.  I did not name it The Extra Virgin Spring.

Twit 2

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 23, 2018, 09:20:27 PM
Watch " One More Time " ( 1970 ), and tell me what you think, you ungrateful cunt.

After you didn't recommend Poor Devil? Hmmm, maybe, maybe I will, but not tonight.

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 23, 2018, 09:21:52 PM
I'd hate to step on The Virgin Spring's toes.  I love that film.  Every time I watch it, the pagan undercurrents leap out at me even more.  Once wrote a sort of song sequel to it.  I did not name it The Extra Virgin Spring.

It's too late as you have done and I'm now watching and enjoying Lemonade Joe, and just needed to briefly for toiletry reasons. But I will watch The Virgin Spring soon, I swear on my life.

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 23, 2018, 09:32:56 PM
RIM MY GAPE 7

I didn't enjoy 1 - 6 so why would I like 7?

George White

Tourist Trap (1979)
Deadly Games (1989 - the original French Home Alone)

The Loved One (1965) is astonishing, but not particularly good. Robert Morse massively miscast.

The Best House In London (1969) -  David Hemmings, George Sanders, Warren Mitchell, John Bird, William Rushton, Bill Fraser, Maurice Denham, Wolfe Morris (as a tearful Chinese opium dealer who seems at first to be a cameo, but is actually the big bad), Martita Hunt, Hugh Burden as Tennyson, Peter Jeffrey and Thorley Walters as not-Holmes and Watson, and even Joe Lynch as a Welsh copper in a giant-budgeted, X-rated (in the US and UK) steampunk sex comedy made by MGM and Carlo Ponti that is written by Denis Norden, filmed on the sets of Oliver, filled with cameos from fictional and historical characters.  The nearest thing to a joke is when little Emmeline Pankhurst sings, "my pretty little pussy". I kind of miss when the British film industry could make something like this, even though it's astrocious. The trouble is, the brothel stuff is the main focus, and that's just tonally awkward. Some of it looks very realistic, but most isn't.  There's a scene that is basically the ending of Carry On Up The Khyber. It almost gets good towards the end, but it's a slog.  It descends into an orgy of leery tits, that's quite shocking for the time.

George White

Baxter (1989) - Another weird French horror. I'm beginning to think that France made the best horrors of the 1980s. This is a Gallic Cujo, with a bull terrier, based on a pulp novel by American writer Ken Greenhall. The bull terrier is unique looking, and coupled with the Gallic Amblin feel, and the narration from the dog, it's memorable. It's not quite as good as Deadly Games, it has heart, kids talking about Hitler's sex life, and an interesting "the evil continues" ending.

Terror In The Wax Museum (1973) - Lots of people are watching Crazy Rich Asians. I am watching this. They both have Lisa Lu, though. Here, she's a helpful Dragon Lady. This feels like a TV movie, with its cast, tone and plot more suited to 1943 than 1973, and relatively slack direction. An American-accented Jack the Ripper (in a dream sequence John Carradine experiences) in this entertaining throwback. Carradine doesn't use an English accent, as the wax museum owner who tries to sell to Broderick Crawford, only to be slaughtered, leaving behind his waxen-faced disfigured sidekick Karkoff. Set in a phony London. Ray Milland, Maurice Evans, Elsa Lanchester, Louis Hayward and Patric Knowles prop it up. Mark Edwards, a Hammer/British horror regular of the time, and star of doomed Dr. Who replacement Snowy Black (intended to run if Pertwee's series flopped). The young female lead is American-born Benny Hill costar Nicole Shelby. There's a run about a will. Features a legendary but fictional murderous copper named Constable Henry Bolt. The dummies are clearly real people breathing. Karkoff, clearly intended as a breakout monster is attempted as a figure of Karloffian pathos, but actor Steven Marlo is more comical than anything. Elsa Lanchester is appealingly strident.  The villain turns out to be a mute scarface who poses as Jack the Ripper in the museum, or Jack the Ripper himself.

Night Of The Demon (1957 - B/W) - The noirish/Lewtonesque elements bore me (and Dana Andrews is well... Dana Andrews), but the fruity character work and intriguing plot saves it. Niall McGinnis is great, as is Liam Redmond (plus Maurice Denham and young Brian Wilde doing a West Country farmer accent in his unmistakable voice!), and the demon's quite cool.  Interesting at least four major actors are Irish (Cummins, McGinnis, Redmond and Richard Leech). I also find Peggy Cummins slightly cold, in a way I find a lot of Irish actresses.

Roadgames (1981) - I'd probably like this film a lot less if it were American. The Australian setting is that little more relatable and unusual. It's got a great lead in Stacy Keach, a daft sense of humour ("there's a man with balls"), even though it is not a comedy per se. It's a sterling mix of horror and thriller and adventure (the soundtrack by Brian May going towards the latter). The killer's modus operandi is grotesque, in a good way. Incredibly tricksy (the whole cliff-trick), though it does slow a bit once Jamie Lee Curtis appears. But the climax is great (though a little murky at shot, needed more neon in the streets). Even though the resolution is a lot left to be desired. But the first half is great. And the ending...

The Ritz (1976) - Jack Weston and Jerry Stiller fight over each other, as the former hides in a gay bathhouse that holds a Princess Margaret lookalike competition. Sexy young F. Murray Abraham (it's weird seeing him with a head of beautiful curls). It's not especially funny, but because it is made in the UK by Richard Lester, the various gays include the likes of Ben Aris, Peter Butterworth (as a couple) and an opera singing Ronnie Brody,it captivates. Treat Williams' schtick wears thin - that he's a straight man undercover who everyone presume is gay as his voice never broke (even though I empathise with him greatly). Adding to the fauxmerican atmosphere are songs on the soundtrack sung by a pre-Eurovision/"The Cheetah Likes My Beard" Colm Wilkinson (the songs actually like sound like that anthem of a big cat running from Letterfrack to Mallow). I did find it much more watchable than say a Neil Simon adaptation of the same era. Because it's from a different tradition. But it's a one joke premise.

Small Man Big Horse

They certainly sound interesting George and I might watch them at some point, but I'm not sure they fall in to the fucking amazing category.

Absolutely loved Lemonade Joe, it's a right old bizarre thing being an odd battle between a lemonade seller and a bar owner in the wild west, it looks incredibly beautiful, is playfully filmed and has the most absurdly daft happy ending I've ever seen. 8.7/10. So thanks for that Mr Agog, you made my evening a great one.

Sin Agog

Really happy you enjoyed it. I had Lemonade Joe on the brain after seeing the Coens' latest, as the first short also features singing cowboys and ridiculous bar fights. It's been a few years for me, so I think I'll give it a watch now as well!  Your love letter has really got me in the mood. God, those winter days when you wake up and decide to do nout but watch movies all day can be so incredible.

Moribunderast

Watch the new film, THUNDER ROAD. I just watched it and it amazed me. An incredible performance by the lead actor (who also wrote and directed) and the tone is unlike anything I can remember watching, somehow fusing the broadness of a Forte or Ferrell dumb comedy with dry Canadian-style humour all while maintaining an undercurrent of very real pain and emotion. It's wild and really fucking good, says I. Made me cry with laughter and then not with laughter.

zomgmouse

Please watch Resolution and then watch The Endless.

Also:
The Cremator
The Company of Wolves
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
Night of the Comet
Daisies
Peeping Tom
Ms. 45
The Female Prisoner Scorpion series
The Young Girls of Rochefort

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 24, 2018, 12:53:31 AM
They certainly sound interesting George and I might watch them at some point, but I'm not sure they fall in to the fucking amazing category.

Disagree, Roadgames is fucking amazing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 24, 2018, 01:26:14 AM
Really happy you enjoyed it. I had Lemonade Joe on the brain after seeing the Coens' latest, as the first short also features singing cowboys and ridiculous bar fights. It's been a few years for me, so I think I'll give it a watch now as well!  Your love letter has really got me in the mood. God, those winter days when you wake up and decide to do nout but watch movies all day can be so incredible.

It has indeed been a lovely day, such things are rare now that I'm working again but I had no classes today so was able to just lie around doing nothing.

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 24, 2018, 01:38:30 AM
Watch the new film, THUNDER ROAD. I just watched it and it amazed me. An incredible performance by the lead actor (who also wrote and directed) and the tone is unlike anything I can remember watching, somehow fusing the broadness of a Forte or Ferrell dumb comedy with dry Canadian-style humour all while maintaining an undercurrent of very real pain and emotion. It's wild and really fucking good, says I. Made me cry with laughter and then not with laughter.

I've got that on my hard drive so may well watch it tomorrow, but if not then it'll be very soon as you make it sound just like my cup of tea.

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 24, 2018, 01:53:06 AM
Please watch Resolution and then watch The Endless.

Also:
The Cremator
The Company of Wolves
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
Night of the Comet
Daisies
Peeping Tom
Ms. 45
The Female Prisoner Scorpion series
The Young Girls of Rochefort

Disagree, Roadgames is fucking amazing.

I stand corrected on Roadgames and will obtain it asap. And I've seen and loved Resolution and The Endless (preferring the latter, but the former was great too) along with The Company Of Wolves, Leningrad Cowboys Go America, Daisies, and Peeping Tom but I'll definitely check out the rest as I've always enjoyed your recommendations in the past a great deal.

F.W. Murnau's version of Faust - Lynchian weirdness from the silent era

Watch it even if you're not normally a fan of silent movies

chveik

A few other "fucking amazing" films imo:

Picnic at Hanging Rock
A Woman Under the Influence
Celine and Julie Go Boating
Du Côté D'Orouët
Eyes Without a Face
3 Women
Bunny Lake is Missing
A Scene at the Sea

if you love musicals, have you seen the Blake Edwards ones (Darling Lili, Victor Victoria)? they're fantastic

Ferris

Nosferati the Vampyr is bloody good. Werner Herzeg movie. Got vampires in it (or does it?)

Also Withnail and I. Lovely.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is on Netflix and is darker than you expect, but great fun.

greenman

From what I'v seen recently I would recommend Woman of the Dunes, I think stands along side stuff like Kurbick and Lynch at their best as a critical favourite that's very easy to get into despite its strangeness.

Peru

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 23, 2018, 08:16:03 PM
It wasn't that shocking. It was quite adolescent, really, like all of Noe's stuff.

Yes. Not to mention extremely homophobic. How anyone can watch that opening scene and not come to that conclusion is beyond me. If that film came out today he'd get absolutely pilloried for it.