Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,319
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:18:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Burr: 50

Started by marquis_de_sad, November 23, 2018, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Tickets have gone on sale for Burr's UK tour. He's also going all over Europe — including places like Estonia — but I don't have a link for those dates.

up_the_hampipe

Going to see him at the Royal Albert Hall. Can't wait to hear that loud Bahston accent echo through such an esteemed venue.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 23, 2018, 06:16:33 PM
Going to see him at the Royal Albert Hall. Can't wait to hear that loud Bahston accent echo through such an esteemed VENUE!

New Jack

Not many dates so far. Can't be arsed going all the way to Manchester...

Old Nehamkin

Great stuff. Seeing him in Glasgow back in 2013 (doing a two-hour set in a freezing cold, not quite full O2 Academy) is still one of my fondest stand-up memories. He really is going to go down as One of the Greats and I know I'll always regret any chance I miss to see him while he's still in his prime.

£40 is a bit much for me at the moment, but I'll see if I can pick up a spare nearer the time. Burr.

Bennett Brauer

"Hello Glasgow! Please welcome the lovely Nia and my beautiful daughter..."

*bottles rain down on stage*

marquis_de_sad

Never understood the subset of Burr's fans who hate the women in his life.

New Jack

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 24, 2018, 05:28:39 PM

Closet cases maybe?

up_the_hampipe

They think having a wife and daughter have softened him, which they have, but for the better. His comedy doesn't suffer.

Thursday

I guess having a really loud aggressive macho persona with really misogynistic routines attracts misogynistic fans.

(Not having a go at anyone for liking him, or looking to get into a debate about that, but it should be easy to see why some of his material might attract cunts)

Bennett Brauer

Just to be clear, my comment was a joke about the old school Billy fans who just want variations on the gold-digging whores routine.

His recent podcast when he and his wife were getting their daughter to say new words was endearing.

up_the_hampipe

I love when they talk about Bill's weird response to Nia hitting her head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemAIsJ3MB0

Mango Chimes

I am curious as to what a Royal Albert Hall filled with Bill Burr fans looks like. Fifty quid, though...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 24, 2018, 05:33:16 PM
They think having a wife and daughter have softened him, which they have, but for the better. His comedy doesn't suffer.

I dunno.  I think he's still naturally funny, but his podcasts have definitely gone a bit downhill and his last special ("Walk Your Way Out"?) was a serious step down from the one before.  He's far from the only comedian/artist this happened to, though, and at least he waited until 50 to start softening.

Nia is fairly grating on the podcast, to be fair.  Fine once in a while, but there was a while there where she was on nearly every episode.  I don't think you have to be a misogynist to not like that, any more than I'm a misandrist for skipping episodes with his mates Joe Bartnick or Paul Virzi or whoever.  I'm there for unfiltered rambling Bill.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 24, 2018, 07:21:43 PM
I dunno.  I think he's still naturally funny, but his podcasts have definitely gone a bit downhill and his last special ("Walk Your Way Out"?) was a serious step down from the one before. 

I'm not sure that was the result of softening, just running out of shit to talk about. Also his last special was intentionally filmed in front of a bad crowd, which turned out to be a bad decision, who woulda thunk.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 24, 2018, 07:21:43 PMNia is fairly grating on the podcast, to be fair.  Fine once in a while, but there was a while there where she was on nearly every episode.

Massively disagree. I think she's brilliant, and I'd much rather hear her sparring with Bill than have him talk about sport for half an hour. I think she lifts the podcast.

cliggg

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 24, 2018, 07:25:00 PMAlso his last special was intentionally filmed in front of a bad crowd, which turned out to be a bad decision, who woulda thunk.
Did he say that in an interview? How did he know it would be a bad crowd beforehand?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: cliggg on November 24, 2018, 11:29:26 PM
Did he say that in an interview? How did he know it would be a bad crowd beforehand?

He said it on his podcast. He's had tough shows there before, just a notoriously stiff audience I guess.

cliggg

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 24, 2018, 11:34:43 PM
He said it on his podcast. He's had tough shows there before, just a notoriously stiff audience I guess.
I see, he must be one of those comics that likes to try and win a bad crowd over.

Clownbaby

I like Nia. The whiny cunts in any Youtube comments for his podcast, constantly spitting venom about her, depress me a bit. That's your favourite comedian's wife you're talking about, have some respect Youtube commenters

the lovely Niaaaaaaa

Large Noise

Yeah, Bill Burr has a large scumbag following who're always slightly disappointed when they're reminded that their guy's married to a black feminist who he respects.

MortSahlFan

Of course marriage and a kid changed his comedy.. You can't say his last special was his best. I also stopped listening to the podcast because it was becoming more PC.

Btw, what's with all the "ist" talk when someone criticizes someone. Can't criticize a woman anymore? Progress?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 26, 2018, 01:46:38 PM
Of course marriage and a kid changed his comedy.. You can't say his last special was his best. I also stopped listening to the podcast because it was becoming more PC.

If his comedy is softening, I don't think it's a conscious thing or deliberately PC. A few weeks ago on his podcast he was railing against current New York audiences for shrinking back when he brought up a routine about (iirc) women, as if they either disapproved of what he was saying or were scared to be seen/heard enjoying it.

Plus every other podcast features long extracts from previous podcasts of almost 10 years ago, where some of the things he says would certainly get a more public figure into trouble on today's electric web. He doesn't select those repeats, but he obviously isn't that bothered about protecting himself either.

Clownbaby

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 26, 2018, 01:46:38 PM

Btw, what's with all the "ist" talk when someone criticizes someone. Can't criticize a woman anymore? Progress?

Can't speak for anyone else but I'm not talking about criticism, it's when you get commenters ewho say Nia is a cunt who should die or seem surprised and even disappointed that Bill Burr actually isn't some kind of bigoted wife-beating bastard who hates women and refuses to interact with them

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 26, 2018, 03:33:56 PM
If his comedy is softening, I don't think it's a conscious thing or deliberately PC. A few weeks ago on his podcast he was railing against current New York audiences for shrinking back when he brought up a routine about (iirc) women, as if they either disapproved of what he was saying or were scared to be seen/heard enjoying it.

Plus every other podcast features long extracts from previous podcasts of almost 10 years ago, where some of the things he says would certainly get a more public figure into trouble on today's electric web. He doesn't select those repeats, but he obviously isn't that bothered about protecting himself either.
Yeah I agree. Having a daughter, especially...
P.S. - I hardly ever checked out the Thursday podcast, and if I did, it'd be the first 30 minutes... I was just a tad disappointed his latest special didn't hold up (Stanhope's was redundant, also not as good)... I'll probably check out the last MMP today.

notjosh

Really gutted that whoever was doing the short clip uploads of his podcast on YouTube has stopped. Now the only way to listen is to wade through the whole thing, sports and all.

Incidentally, when I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall last year (I think it's the same show he's doing again) he did some #MeToo material that was far from PC. He basically took the yes-some-men-are-scumbags-but-c'mon-ladies-let's-not-get-carried-away line. Felt like it split the room a bit.

I still really like his old 'women-bashing' material ("you cahn't hit em" etc), but glad he's moved on and mainly look forward to his excellent gorilla impersonations now.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 26, 2018, 03:33:56 PM
A few weeks ago on his podcast he was railing against current New York audiences for shrinking back when he brought up a routine about (iirc) women, as if they either disapproved of what he was saying or were scared to be seen/heard enjoying it.

A couple more references to current New York audiences during his recent Hot Ones episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lvrikv6oPs. "New York is like doing stand-up in a women's college."