Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoplifters (Kore-eda, 2018)

Started by zomgmouse, November 24, 2018, 12:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Winner of this year's Palme d'Or at Cannes, the latest tender and moving film by Kore-eda tells of a makeshift family surviving off petty crimes. It's deeply bizarre at its core but never lets that come out on the surface which is delicate and joyful and towards the end rather shocking. Near-perfect for me and I'd be keen to see it again for sure. Loved it a hell of a lot.

Z

Have extremely high expectations for this one, his last one (After the Storm) was one of my favourites but also felt very much like a guy who's gonna be just steadily operating around the same level from here on out. The huge acclaim for this one is a bit of a surprise.

I guess it's possible that it's actually basking off After the Storm growing on a lot of people over the past year and it won't actually be that much better but... very very high expectations.

See he's doing an English language film next, Ethan Hawke is the lead which has me cautiously optimistic that he knows what he's doing.

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen the trailer for this and it looks good.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 24, 2018, 02:17:51 PM
I've seen the trailer for this and it looks good.

I've seen this and it is good. I'm still unsure about how to feel about the characters - it's a very affecting film. Top acting.

Can someone explain the other female character's situation as revealed at the end? Her grandma asked her to move in with her? She didn't know her parents, who lied to the grandma about where she was? That bit left me confused.

Osmium

Looking forward to this one. The Third Murder was "lesser" Koreeda so it's nice to see him back in his wheelhouse. Sakura Ando is also great.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 25, 2018, 12:40:08 AM
Can someone explain the other female character's situation as revealed at the end? Her grandma asked her to move in with her? She didn't know her parents, who lied to the grandma about where she was? That bit left me confused.

The way I understood it was that I think the grandma had manipulated her into moving in while she collected ransom payments? I admit I didn't quite grasp that either.

Sebastian Cobb

I enjoyed this. I think the explanation with the younger woman was she was a runaway, that the granny put up while she worked as a pseudo-stripper. The bribe was the shame on the family of this. What with Japan being quite big/adverse to that.

popcorn

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2018, 10:34:49 PM
I enjoyed this. I think the explanation with the younger woman was she was a runaway, that the granny put up while she worked as a pseudo-stripper. The bribe was the shame on the family of this. What with Japan being quite big/adverse to that.

I couldn't figure this out at all. It was suggested that the grandma had some sort of connection to the family she visited. Like she was the mother of the someone who'd been abandoned or the middle-class mother cheated on or something. My first interpretation was that she would "turn up for a cup of tea" from time to time and they'd pay her some cash each time out of guilt.

Z

Just saw this, fucking loved it. The more contrived parts had me pretty concerned a lot of the way but it sure as fuck hit some strong notes with them in the end. Might be his best all around film

The grandmother bit was confusing. Iirc her husbands son said something like "it's nothing after what our mother done" to her when giving her the envelope?

I think her and the granddaughter were genuinely close, and that the film would have left a stronger implication otherwise, but the grandmother's survival tactic (basically manipulating the other family for money to keep her support base around) left the ability for doubts over her sincerity and the prosecutors were able to lean in on that.

A much bigger question mark for me would be why the little girl was allowed return to parents who didn't declare her missing for two months.

What age was that girl? She was absolutely tiny

Lost Oliver

Have to say, I found After the Storm pretty dull. Felt like a director who had nothing to say.

That said, there were some lovely moments, the relationship with the mum etc. Just felt it all wrapped up a little too well and that it went on about half an hour too long.

Happy to be proven wrong though and am curious about this thanks to all the hype.

popcorn

I found this a bit boring tbh but don't tell no one.

Quote from: Z on December 13, 2018, 11:41:11 PM
What age was that girl? She was absolutely tiny

One of my mates directed a short film a few months ago that also starred in. She plays a kidnapped girl. I haven't seen the film yet (it's still in editing) but I asked if she was in danger of being typecast and my mate assured me "She gives a very different performance".

zomgmouse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on December 14, 2018, 09:58:19 AM
Have to say, I found After the Storm pretty dull. Felt like a director who had nothing to say.

That said, there were some lovely moments, the relationship with the mum etc. Just felt it all wrapped up a little too well and that it went on about half an hour too long.

Happy to be proven wrong though and am curious about this thanks to all the hype.

I haven't seen that but I'm told that this is much much better.

nw83

I've finally seen this.

Maybe I missing something, but most of it seemed a bit platitudinous to me - 'good people sometimes do bad things,' 'even criminals can have hearts of gold,' 'love is thicker than blood; your real family is who cares for you,' etc. This wasn't helped by that jolly orchestral music on the soundtrack like what you used to get on 90's / early '00s family dramas around 7pm - 9pm on a Sunday night (Heartbeat, Ballykissangel, etc). I know there's a bit of a twist at the end, but I don't think it added much depth.

Was I just in a bad mood when I watched it, and should I give it another chance?

Puce Moment

BUMP - finally got around to seeing this and I loved it. I thought it just about remained on the right side of sentimentality, and for me became a moving story about family and what we REALLY need in this horrible, neoliberal world we are forced to endure. In so many ways their lives seemed utterly idyllic.

To some extent this is Nobody Knows II, in as much as it covers similar themes and shines a light on how easy it is for people to fall through the cracks of society (whether deliberately or not). It also shows the resourceful mental strength of children, which I love.

He feels very influenced by Ozu in as much as the deliberations on society developing to the detriment of family bonds seems like a main interest, and many of the most dramatic moments are off-screen or unseen.

I think I was in a good state of mind to see this sort of film, especially after watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I was as blown away by this as I was by Nobody Knows. I think I need to stick with Asia and films like Parasite and Burning, because I am finding Western films almost unwatchable these days, with some very notable exceptions.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, I was searching for a thread about this but could only find stuff about people nicking sweets and torches from tesco. Anyway, it's on Now now so will be watching sometime in the next week or so.