Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thunder Road - 2018

Started by Moribunderast, November 24, 2018, 01:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

I just watched Thunder Road this morning and I'm a little bit blown away. Written and directed by lead-actor, Jim Cummings, it follows a cop who is struggling with the death of his mother while trying to raise his daughter and deal with myriad other personal problems. The performance by Cummings is fantastic - a real "Where the fuck did THIS guy come from?" sorta deal, where an unknown nails his first leading role and really makes an impression. His performance reminded me at different times of broad comedy actors like Wills Forte and Ferrell, but it also had a lot of dry little touches that I associate more with Canadian performers. There are monologues (especially the incredibly funny opening 10-minute sequence) that had me alternating between tears of laughter and being genuinely sad. The way his performance and the writing of the film frequently turns between comedy, sadness and pain felt quite unique to me. I'm sure others will be able to name other films with a similar tone (which I would love to see) but despite seeing many comedies that have made me feel (most notably Ricky Gervais' critically-and-CaB-lauded "crymedy" Derek, obvs) I haven't come across one with the tone this film managed.

I'm really impressed and I'm intrigued to see if others here have a similar reaction or if they can pick holes in the film and gradually make me hate it and myself. So watch it, okay?

Also, if you're a loon that watches trailers before watching the actual film, let it be known that the trailer is weirdly unrepresentative of the tone.

monolith

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 24, 2018, 01:57:22 AM
The performance by Cummings is fantastic - a real "Where the fuck did THIS guy come from?" sorta deal, where an unknown nails his first leading role and really makes an impression.
He ain't a beauty but, hey, he's alright.

Z

Is this an extension of the short film from last year? or was it not a short film at all but a teaser and I somehow mixed that up?

Moribunderast

Quote from: Z on November 24, 2018, 10:49:11 AM
Is this an extension of the short film from last year? or was it not a short film at all but a teaser and I somehow mixed that up?

I haven't watched the short (yet) but I think the short is essentially the beginning of the film (a eulogy?) and then it picks up from there, so I believe the answer is yes.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked it a lot but it wasn't what I expected. I didn't know anything about it other than it was a comedy drama, but I'd say it was much more of a drama, and a meditation of grief, that also has some very funny moments in it, but they're overshadowed but the general sense of misery that the character's going through. Definitely a great film, but I have to admit I was in the mood for something funnier tonight.

One thing which did confuse a little was the court scene, and why the judge thought that he was threatening him, and that the dance video instantly led to the wife getting sole custody. I mean it was at his mother's funeral and as mentioned a few times people react to grief in many different ways, so for it to be the deciding factor in his losing his daughter seemed rather harsh.

Moribunderast

In reading about the film, I'm finding really varying reactions to how funny people think it is. Everybody seems to agree that it's very good but some (like me) found it hysterical while I've seen others saying they just found it very, very sad. My favourite element of the film is that I would often be howling with laughter and then a sudden turn in Cummings' performance, or a line of dialogue or an event would have my emotions doing a complete 180. The opening monologue is a series of those moments (I've had a week beset by death so I was stunned it didn't just leave me a blubbering wreck) and I think will basically tell a viewer how they're going to receive the film. I'm glad you liked it - sorry if I inadvertently tricked you into watching a depressing thing when you were expecting only to laugh! The misery running throughout is very strong.

As to your spoilery-point: The whole court scene made me furious (which I think it was meant to) but, yeah, the judge leaping to the 'threat' conclusion seemed a bit of a leap - the "threatening" line maybe needed to be delivered differently, as the words themselves could be a threat but they weren't said as such in any way. I think the dance video was meant to claim he was unstable (which he definitely was - not like the mother was any better though) but it would have been more realistic if they'd maybe mentioned his tantrum at the school to further the point as a man doing a sad but non-violent dance at his mother's funeral hardly warrants him losing his kid.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 24, 2018, 10:35:01 PM
In reading about the film, I'm finding really varying reactions to how funny people think it is. Everybody seems to agree that it's very good but some (like me) found it hysterical while I've seen others saying they just found it very, very sad. My favourite element of the film is that I would often be howling with laughter and then a sudden turn in Cummings' performance, or a line of dialogue or an event would have my emotions doing a complete 180. The opening monologue is a series of those moments (I've had a week beset by death so I was stunned it didn't just leave me a blubbering wreck) and I think will basically tell a viewer how they're going to receive the film. I'm glad you liked it - sorry if I inadvertently tricked you into watching a depressing thing when you were expecting only to laugh! The misery running throughout is very strong.

I'm in the middle on the happy / sad side of things, there were definitely some laugh out loud moments (like you I thought the opening monologue was superb as it flipped from hilarity to the harrowing) and I'd probably have enjoyed it even more if it hadn't been for my partner moaning about how unfunny it was.

QuoteAs to your spoilery-point: The whole court scene made me furious (which I think it was meant to) but, yeah, the judge leaping to the 'threat' conclusion seemed a bit of a leap - the "threatening" line maybe needed to be delivered differently, as the words themselves could be a threat but they weren't said as such in any way. I think the dance video was meant to claim he was unstable (which he definitely was - not like the mother was any better though) but it would have been more realistic if they'd maybe mentioned his tantrum at the school to further the point as a man doing a sad but non-violent dance at his mother's funeral hardly warrants him losing his kid.

I'm definitely with you there, if the school meeting had also been videoed and presented to the judge then losing his kid would have made more sense, but as it was only the video it confused a little. But then I know similar miscarriages of justice do take place on a regular basis so perhaps I shouldn't have had such a reaction. Either way I wouldn't want to put people off watching it due to such a minor matter, it is a real gem of a film and reminded me of the low key indie flicks they used to make in the 90s but rarely do so now.

cliggg

I liked this but found it hard to watch at times, I felt really really bad for the main character for most of the movie. I just wanted him to talk to someone and open up a bit for his own sake. The scene with his sister when she said she had to get ready for a meeting so he leaves just as he was about to open up to her made me angry at him I did think it was funny at times and I could see where they going for humour other times that didn't make me laugh. Also was SPOILER his wife being a drug addict referenced anywhere in the movie other than the end? I don't recall any mention of it at all??

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: cliggg on November 28, 2018, 04:35:33 PM
SPOILER his wife being a drug addict referenced anywhere in the movie other than the end? I don't recall any mention of it at all??

Not that I noticed, but my partner was a bit distracting at times as she was making it clear she was frustrated by the film.

cliggg

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 28, 2018, 05:04:29 PM
Not that I noticed, but my partner was a bit distracting at times as she was making it clear she was frustrated by the film.
No it must not have been there, I wasn't distracted at any point and didn't see it. Also I fucked up on the spoiler in my original post (I don't know how to do them on this site) so sorry to anyone i may have spoiled some or all of the movie for.