Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:36:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nicholas Roeg dead

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, November 24, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

His pre-Performance career as cinematographer and/or DP wasn't too shabby either. RIP.

Masque of the Red Death is probably one of the best cinematography jobs ever

That is sad news. Performance is one of my favourite films. He was a total visionary at that time.

mothman

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 24, 2018, 04:17:22 PM
Masque of the Red Death is probably one of the best cinematography jobs ever

Just watched the final scene - a long-time favourite of mine - on YouTube. But I had no idea until today he'd been cinematographer on that.

biggytitbo

Thank you for Walkabout Nick, got me through some difficult teenage years.

Noodle Lizard

Probably my favorite "classic" British filmmaker, along with Ken Russell and David Lean.  "Performance" was life-changing as a teenager, and his editing style had a huge impact on my own work as an editor.  Loved it.

Sin Agog

I hate having to mourn for people twice because you're dead certain you read an obit years ago.  It's happened to me a few times, and the second, real mourning is always more just bewilderment than sadness.  Probably one of those filmmakers who inspired my first foray into more personal territory.  RIP it up and start again!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Possibly an actual genius in his prime. Don't Look Now and Performance are masterpieces.

a duncandisorderly

biggytitbo

Walkabout and Don't Look Now are masterpieces. Not so sure about Performance. The bath water is dirty for god sake.

Noodle Lizard

Performance is a mess, but a very admirable one.  Its messy fingerprints are all over the place as well.

Phil_A

Love Walkabout, seeing it on Channel 4 in the nineties was one of those "changing your whole perspective on cinema" moments

I also like the trailer which makes it look like a tense thriller rather than a melancholic journey of discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdqwbs8uKwQ

hedgehog90

I finally sat down and watched Walkabout last night, thought it was a bit shit tbh.
Watchable and enjoyable for the most part, but the attempts at arthouse symbolism, editing and the like were overwrought and often cringe-inducing.
And maybe it was just my copy but I noticed a distinct lack of the disclaimer at the end, 'No animals were harmed in the making of this picture'. I guess they must've forgotten to include it... Those were some amazing animatronics though! It's as if you could see the life draining from their eyes. They must have built like 10-20 rigs. So lifelike, so necessary!
Still, enjoyable enough, left an impression, but problematic in the areas I mentioned.

The only other Roeg film I've seen is Don't Look Now, which my english teacher showed over the course of 4 or 5 lessons to a class of 11-year-olds, sex bit included. I've never been more freaked out by a film than seeing donald sutherland's cock that fucking terrifying ending for the first time.

The reputation of Bad Timing seems to be growing through the years but it's still a bit of an unsung masterpiece. It's Roeg at the peak of his powers

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 29, 2018, 11:32:17 AM
And maybe it was just my copy but I noticed a distinct lack of the disclaimer at the end, 'No animals were harmed in the making of this picture'. I guess they must've forgotten to include it... Those were some amazing animatronics though! It's as if you could see the life draining from their eyes. They must have built like 10-20 rigs. So lifelike, so necessary!
Still, enjoyable enough, left an impression, but problematic in the areas I mentioned.

There were few concerns about killing animals on film at the time, with the rule being "no unnecessary suffering" and the footage qualifying as documentary material as I believe the bull was to have been shot anyway.

nedthemumbler

Wake in Fright was the same year wasn't it?  Did they inspire each other to greater depths of Antipodean violence?

Only seen Walkabout and Don't Look Now.  Oh and The Witches, which still surprises me he directed.  Intrigued by the Garfunkel one though.

a duncandisorderly

I'd forgotten about 'bad timing' until just now. yes, another cracker.