Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars' legacy

Started by garnish, November 24, 2018, 06:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnish

I heard in a film review (maybe Kermode) that the biggest problem with Star Wars is that it changed the direction of mainstream Hollywood sci-fi for decades, from thoughtful slow paced stuff full of contemporary metaphors to, essentially, cowboys and Indians in space.

Is this fair?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yes. It's a commonly held view and a valid point.

However, neither Star Wars nor Jaws intended to bring an end to the progressive New Hollywood era. Lucas and Spielberg wanted to make big crowd-pleasing pieces of popular entertainment, but they couldn't have foreseen the deleterious impact they'd have on mainstream cinema over the next 40 years.

Blumf

Wasn't the first or last time Hollywood got itself tied up in a fad. Big musical, westerns, remakes... So I'm not sure if blame needs to be placed anywhere away from lazy producers.

Alberon

It would have happened eventually. If it wasn't Lucas and Spielberg it would have others. Like the fall of the Roman Republic in retrospect it was always going to happen.

mothman

Wasn't it less what the films were about, and more about how they were released? That first big initial wide release, rather than opening films here and there in dribs and drabs, then going away, then coming back, the "second run" venues..?

greenman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 24, 2018, 07:29:07 PM
Yes. It's a commonly held view and a valid point.

However, neither Star Wars nor Jaws intended to bring an end to the progressive New Hollywood era. Lucas and Spielberg wanted to make big crowd-pleasing pieces of popular entertainment, but they couldn't have foreseen the deleterious impact they'd have on mainstream cinema over the next 40 years.

I'm not really sure that either did directly, I don't think you see a clear dropoff in New Hollywood after 75 and films like Empire Strikes Back and Close Encounters seem like they were looking to bring a pretty serious edge.

The real shift I think happened more in the early 80's with the success of ET especially at the expense of Blade Runner and The Thing plus the likes of Once Upon A Time In America and Rumblefish also flopping shortly afterwards.

I think the idea of the modern blockbuster being driven mostly via producers and the studio really dates more to the early 90's.

Panbaams

Quote from: garnish on November 24, 2018, 06:50:31 PM
I heard in a film review (maybe Kermode) that the biggest problem with Star Wars is that it changed the direction of mainstream Hollywood sci-fi for decades, from thoughtful slow paced stuff full of contemporary metaphors to, essentially, cowboys and Indians in space.

Is this fair?

It's not really fair that how other people make films later down the line is Star Wars' problem. Mind you, some people think that Robert De Niro being in Meet the Parents somehow makes Raging Bull a worse film, so who knows?

Dex Sawash

Glad to see Star Wars Legacy isn't yet another animated series