Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last Kingdom - Season 3 - Netflix - Nov 19th

Started by NoSleep, November 24, 2018, 08:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Just a heads up on this, which never got a mention on here for its first 2 seasons, which appeared on BBC2, probably because it was a slightly naff GoT-alike, in fact it was more a Vikings-alike, which also started out as a GoT-alike. TLK even has a couple of characters in common with Vikings (as they're both vaguely based on history).
Anyway, just a heads up to say I've really enjoyed the new BBC-free season a lot more than the previous two (which I nonetheless sat through, so they were probably more than OK) and it beats that Britannia bollocks (although I'd probably sit through another season of that, too).

Dex Sawash

I saw the first 2 series on Netflix and thought it was fine. Trying to power through a lackluster new Narcos season first.

Dog Botherer

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't noticed there was a new season out. Found the first two seasons solid enough so I'm sure I'll enjoy the new one.

ZoyzaSorris

Oh nice, thanks. The past adventures of Pootred of Botty-burp have been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. This will fill a winter hole nicely. Is Vikings any cop?

NoSleep

I'd say Vikings tops The Last Kingdom and it's coming back on again this very week (gone for a whole year and still calling this the continuation of season 5). There's been several fascinating characters in Vikings; I think my favourite is King Ecbert but Athelstan, Ragnar Lothbrok, Bjorn, Siggy, Ivar The Boneless, Jarl Borg, King Aelle, Judith, Aethelwulf, Kwenthrith, Rollo, Gisla, and currently Heahmund (the horny templar) have all had their moments. Looking forward to that now that Uhtred is over.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The Last Kingdom suffers from doing two books every season, which the split being quite obvious. In the first two seasons, Utrehd would always bed a hot girl, find himself in a difficult situation with King Alfred because he's a pagan, be tempted by an alliance with the Danes, then save the day because he's a great military leader. And all these things twice.
Season 3 is adapting book 5 and 6, which have more ties, so it's more of a continuing story.
English is not my first language, so I'm not the best person to judge an actor, but I think that David Dawson makes for a compelling Alfred

NoSleep

Yeah, he's good at Alfred (just the usual problem that besets both this and Vikings; of young men supposedly growing to be old men in a couple of seasons). This new season definitely worked better for me and it must be because it was building all the way instead of, as you say, happening every half-season.

Dex Sawash

I finished it now. Seemed pretty similarly solid to earlier series. Bonus points for keeping the mystical/fantasy/seer elements sort of abstract.

king_tubby

Just started this, was the actor Kevin Eldon in earlier series?

NoSleep

Dog Botherer

Can confirm the new series is GOOD. Better than the latest series of Game Of Thrones, which was SHIT.

Spoilery shit, liked the twist with Ragnar, didn't think they'd off a big character like that. Enjoyed Alfred's moralising in his last days, felt believable what with doing petty shit in his raging against the dying of the light then coming to his senses later. Uhtred is such a messy bitch, fucking fiend for the drama, but his motives generally made sense. Feel like Finnan finally got going this series, don't remember him having as many good lines in series past.

Weirdly greatly enjoyed Toby Regbo as the cunty Mercian king. He's been shit in everything else I've seen him in but he's thriving as the panto villain. Got a great giggle out of him hamming up his surprise at his wife's attempted assassination.

ZoyzaSorris

Yep, enjoyed this. Always takes me an episode or two to get back in the swing of it, but then I love its ridiculous violent but comforting world. Though lots of familiar faces died this time. Kind of sad to see the back of Aethelwold because he was always entertaining despite being an utter worm of a shit.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 14, 2018, 10:49:46 AM
Yep, enjoyed this. Always takes me an episode or two to get back in the swing of it, but then I love its ridiculous violent but comforting world. Though lots of familiar faces died this time. Kind of sad to see the back of Aethelwold because he was always entertaining despite being an utter worm of a shit.

Yeah Aethelwold was a great antagonist. Haven't read the books so I'm interested to see where the next season goes. Obviously Wessex will be a clusterfuck but the baddies seemed very comprehensively dealt with in the finale. I'm guessing we'll keep Canute and get yet another Viking coming over to fuck shit up. Uhtred will shag yet another alt-girl, save the day, then accidentally lose her in some incredibly contrived scenario involving a chicken, drunken Vikings, and a battleaxe. Might see Mercia at war with Wessex, that could be fun.

Dex Sawash

I thought Skade was a bit wasted as a character, built up to nothing.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 14, 2018, 06:09:53 PM
I thought Skade was a bit wasted as a character, built up to nothing.

Thought it was odd they offed her with little ceremony, after making such a huge deal of her powers. Felt a bit like they wrote themselves into a hole and couldn't come up with anything better.

NoSleep

I don't think they had enough time to make anything of the character or what Uhtred thought of her. She probably worked better in the book (I haven't read it) where you'd have more than just a few troubled looks from Uhtred, here and there, to let you in on what was meant to be going on.

ZoyzaSorris

Yes I did think that it seemed a bit weird after hyping her powers of manipulation that she wouldnt be aware that Uhtred might try and kill her in such a way.

wooders1978

Is it worth sitting through the previous 2 seasons to get to the third?

NoSleep

It's definitely worth catching up from the start of the series. I just rewatched seasons 1 & 2 and they were much better than I remembered (I'm trying to think what else I was watching at the time that made me think they weren't much cop; can't be GoT as that had already gone downhill by that time). Both seasons aren't that long either, so you're not committing too much time.